Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 12:12 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times

Advertisements

Do you guys give men spelling tests prior to having a relationship? Amazing. It has never even come up...not even to a man I was married to for over 18 years.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:15 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Do you guys give men spelling tests prior to having a relationship? Amazing. It has never even come up...not even to a man I was married to for over 18 years.
When you meet online, you first start communicating through the written word, so I think that's why some people are more critical of it. It's part of the first impression. If you meet offline, it might be a while before you see how that person writes and if you already like them, it probably won't matter so much by then.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:24 PM

624 posts, read 762,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's pretty entertaining so far... I'm up to 23 messages in the past 4 hours, and 3 seem like they're from decent guys. Unfortunately, of those 3 only one is looking for any type of commitment. The other two are quite adamant about not wanting anything more than a hookup.
Hey, at least they are honest

Old 04-10-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Thank you so much, but I'll use my own judgement as to 'what message a woman sitting alone in a bar' sends...I don't need input from some overheated judgemental jabroni cherry-picking posts on a chat forum as to what my thought processes should be...and if, by chance, she IS sitting alone in a bar, then guess what---she, like me, is an adult and can do what she dang well pleases...boy, some people have a pair the size of the Titanic, the way they just run off at the mouth trying to tell everyone else how to live

And furthermore, had you bothered to actually read more of the exchange between the OP and poster xxaimeexx, you would have seen that she had apologized profusely to the OP for some of the things she said because she had misread some of the OP's posts, and the OP accepted her apology graciously, basically saying no harm, no foul...

But no, you come rolling in from left field like some cerealbox badass-wannabe, flapping your gums about 'women alone in bars being drunken w**res' and about xxaimeexx setting her brother up with an online profile...when she clearly stated her brother is disabled, and she loves him deeply...which makes him more of a catch on his worst day than you with a head start...

Next time, try actually gathering a few facts before setting your mouth on autoblab
She attacked the OP for not wanting to consider dating her brother who happens to have Cerebral Palsy on about page 26 of this thread and then apologized around page 40. Pardon me for not reading the entire thread before adding my 2 cents.

And I stand by my original statement of what men tend to think of women who sit alone in bars.

Have a nice day.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:51 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post

And I stand by my original statement of what men tend to think of women who sit alone in bars.
I sit alone at bars looking for random hookups. I've never seen it perceived as a negative thing...especially by men

Old 04-10-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I sit alone at bars looking for random hookups. I've never seen it perceived as a negative thing...especially by men
Hey, if it works for you, go for it

Old 04-10-2012, 12:58 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Well, I've flaked out on people before too. The first time he did it was years ago when we were both younger, so I was willing to give him another chance. It's very common with online dating for people to get bored/distracted and stop responding for whatever reason. I felt like he was worth a second shot, but it looks like it's just not meant to be for us. I like knowing that for sure though instead of having to wonder about it, so I'm ok with it.

I've never actually looked into hiring a matchmaker, but from what I've heard about it, I'm skeptical that it would work for me.

Here's another piece of unsolicited advice - don't flake out on people, it's not nice lady-like behavior and it will shine right through, Mr. Potentially Right For You may not want to stick around to see the ending of the story.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:58 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
Hey, if it works for you, go for it
Really? Because your previous post didn't seem so open...actually it seemed very judgmental.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:01 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
No, but I'm thinking about it if I ever date again.

As I said, my ex couldn't spell cat if you put a gun to his head, but he had other talents--he was an amazing carpenter and could fix anything and was creative and artistic. I AM a good writer and speller, though, so naturally I would notice something like this, just as he would notice shoddy woodwork. (I don't have a college degree and neither did my husband.)

Seriously, if I were ever to attempt dating again, my criteria would not be a college degree or the ability to spell/write correctly, it would be reading. After all these years, I think that's the key for me: If he doesn't read books, we don't have anything in common. However, usually good spelling/grammar goes hand in hand with reading.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:02 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Here's another piece of unsolicited advice - don't flake out on people, it's not nice lady-like behavior and it will shine right through, Mr. Potentially Right For You may not want to stick around to see the ending of the story.
When I say "flake out", I mean that there have been times where I have been communicating with guys on dating sites and then I just stop responding. It happens. Sometimes these guys will follow up with me again at a later time and sometimes they don't. Sometimes I will follow up with them at a later time, and sometimes I don't. I'm not saying that I "flake out" by setting up dates with people and then just not following through or that sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships