Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 02:27 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Most women are always ready for marriage. The nice guys tend to be too shy to talk to women, though, which only dooms both sides to loosing a lot of time before finally, somehow miraculously, making a connection.
Myth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 02:29 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Myth.
Experience and observation. Also: experience of many women writing, and speaking on Tv talk shows and dating shows.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:36 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
Nice guys can be timid but the reason they are completely ignored is that women find them boring with doormat type of personality.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:09 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,224 times
"Nice guy" is a subjective term. One person's Nice guy is another persons "bad guy". The term is used too frequently and I doubt that 90% of the guys who claim to be 'nice guys' are in fact nice guys.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:24 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
True, but there is a huge difference in perception when suburban white kids pretend to be thugs (no one takes them seriously) as opposed to when black males present themselves as thugs. They might think it's just harmless fun, but a lot of people won't see it that way.
It's a big reason black men never get married, negative perception but that's another day.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
The heirarchy of things that attract women

1. Money
2. Perceived Status
3. Alpha personality
4. Looks

Sometimes gansters have money, but, its usually a combination between 2 and 3.

Gangsters and convicts are nearly always A personalities, especially violent ones, to the point of being anti social, and some have high positions in gangs, but its more the respect they command (which is more of a fear and loathing), by the general population, as far as status goes.

Sometimes 4 can play a part. Some women are attracted to tattoos or a particuliar style of dress.
I don't know....

Real gangsters have a very serious personality and come off very manly which women love. That client east wood tough guy look goes a long way.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
Nice guys can be timid but the reason they are completely ignored is that women find them boring with doormat type of personality.
Very true. Younger gangsters or thugs are extremely outgoing.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:02 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
"Nice guy" is a subjective term. One person's Nice guy is another persons "bad guy". The term is used too frequently and I doubt that 90% of the guys who claim to be 'nice guys' are in fact nice guys.
There's certainly some truth to this, but at the same time, the internet backlash against any man who refers to himself as a "nice guy" that assumes that he's a spineless, snivelly, mean, unpleasant person with strictly impure intentions is just sad.

I think that what often happens is that when guys who are legitimately nice at their core are younger, they do often get passed up for guys who are d-bags (see my earlier comments about teenaged girls not being able to tell the difference between a guy who's a "rebel" and a guy who's just plain a loser; or, "exciting" and "dramatic," etc.). It's not always because of the "bad boy" mystique, but also because while the nice guy wants to build up her affections and show that he respects her as a woman, the d-bag just comes up and goes, "Hey. I'm Nick. You're wicked hot. You live around here?"

It's all a game of numbers and averages. Though our friend Tom The Nice Guy may spend much, much more time and care with his romantic interests: right now, this girl Maria whom he met at a book signing. Let's say that he devotes energy to one girl every two months, because he's sincere (not dating other girls), and it takes time and effort to get to know a girl inside-and-out and spend lots of time with her, getting to know her.

Nick The D-Bag wakes up, gets dressed, goes to the Starbucks, where he macks on all the baristas, same as every morning. He's on the subway and starts asking the girl with glasses sitting next to him if she likes to read, cause she looks like the sort of girl who likes to read. He's at the DMV and asks the girl if she has a boyfriend, cause she has big 'ol mama boobs. He goes out to dinner with friends and tries to chat up the waitress, and leaves his number with the check along with the note "i think ur hott call me - NICK."

Then, they go to a bar, where Maria and her friend Karen are enjoying skinny cosmos and having a discussion about how over Tom The Nice Guy Maria is, because it's been two months and uuuuugh, she's been over to his place a whole ton, she's dressed up for him, she's invited him over, she's hugged him for waaaay too long, and he still just doesn't f'ing get it. Nick The D-Bag comes up, making sure he's flexing his muscles and goes "Hey. I'm Nick. That's a nice shirt. It looks good on you. Can I buy you another drink?" Sure, Nick looks like a D-bag, and he sounds like a goon, but... he's kind of hot. Not only that, but, Karen is whispering in her ear that she should get his number and go for it. After three drinks, they go to a club, where Nick and Maria making out in a corner while Karen and Nick's friend are grinding on the floor, snapping Instagrams of everything and posting them to Facebook.

Maria wakes up in her bed with Nick, and feels all butterfly-ey from a night of wild, animal sex. She gets up and starts cooking breakfast, excited to talk to her new boyfriend (<3 <3 <3!!!) over crepes and orange juice. Nick doesn't wake up, so she eventually goes in and wakes him up with a kiss and a big hug, which confuses and alarms him at first, and then he politely tries to struggle out of. "I made you breakfast," she tells him enthusiastically. "I made blueberry crepes!"

"Oh, uh, thanks Mary, but like... I've gotta go. I have work in a couple hours. I should go take a shower." All of her ploys to get her new lover to stay fail because she wasn't THAT good a lay, and without makeup and wearing her PJ's, she looked like hell. Marie is crushed. She tries to call Karen, but Karen is probably still in bed with Nick's friend (she's such a ****). So, she calls Tom. Tom is such a sweetheart...

Cycle repeats.

It can be really frustrating, but, as time goes on, more and more girls lose their attraction to these guys because they realize that they generally aren't really that much more than they appear. Then, they start to look for nice guys - who have their act together, who treat them with respect, etc. It gets way easier the later in your 20's you are.

The big kicker is finding a guy who's nice, and hasn't become embittered by rejection earlier on... that narrows the field some.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
The heirarchy of things that attract women

1. Money
2. Perceived Status
3. Alpha personality
4. Looks
Alpha males tend to be arrogant jerks. Arrogance is a real turn-off.

Qualities that attract women:

1. Character/integrity/personality
2. Stability/security
3. Intelligence
4. Beta personality
5. Looks

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-13-2012 at 04:26 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
They're ignored because they don't let anyone know they're there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships