Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:52 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
It's not an assumption when it's happened.

It's happened for the Bengals with a few players. It's happened to every team in the league. Yes, players have partied so hard that there careers in the NFL have been F'd up. I think many of these players aren't married, but it doesn't just apply to single players.

That's why there's a 2nd chance policy in the NFL. Young players married or not, make stupid mistakes because they are young and dumb and are handed millions to play a game.

I'm willing to bet that there are more single players than married players who have been kicked out of the league or have been placed in that program to give additional chances because of poor decisions that have lead to criminal charges and jail time.
Proportionally I would bet it's almost the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 01:41 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
Agree completely
Some guys are going to **** their money away and party like crazy and some won't
Being married has a neglible effect at best on this
I diagree. Marriage is not a cure all, but I beliee the difference in behavior in married vs. non-married is significant. Marriage tends to calm men down.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:41 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
It's not to that level of crazy for the single players, but more than likely, married men aren't as likely to do something super crazy because they have to think about his family before going out to party.

And players coming out of college getting big contracts aren't adults. They're kids who've trained most of there lives for the big contracts they are going to receive when they are drafted.

I mean what would you do when you turn 21 and get out of college and someone hands you a 20 million dollar check as a signing bonus? Bet it's not stick it in the bank, they're going to go party, and probably party pretty hard when these guys get a chance
Not necessarily. I played Div I college ball but never expected to make pro. But had I done so, I would have partied, sure - but only for a day or two. I would have spent money, sure - but very little. The vast majority of my bonus money would have been banked in solid investments, not to be touched, and I would have been set for life.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Three of the most successful sporting teams downunder, all live by the OP.
NZ Breakers, Canterbury Crusaders and All Blacks. They have all embrased the viewpoint better people make better players.
As much as anything its the culture they are in that makes them successful. Work on your game and train on your game with 100% effort. A pro off the field, eat healthy no staying out late, no drug taking minimal drinking, none when recovering from injury.

Have balance in life, with family life and keeping up with community activities that benefit the community. If you as a person cannot meet that criteria, you won't get a look in to the squads. Their massive success is testament to these principles they live by.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:23 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
But again PF, that's only an assumption. Does anyone have any faith that these single players wouldn't screw the careers they worked their asses off for just because their single? Just because a guy is single doesn't mean he still doesn't have his financial future and career to think about.
Its not a assumption. They did a study thats says anywhere from 60-70% of these guys will go broke within five years of retiring.

Recession or no recession, many NFL, NBA and Major League - 03.23.09 - SI Vault

How Millionaire Athletes Spend Their Money and Go Bankrupt: Sports: GQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Not necessarily. I played Div I college ball but never expected to make pro. But had I done so, I would have partied, sure - but only for a day or two. I would have spent money, sure - but very little. The vast majority of my bonus money would have been banked in solid investments, not to be touched, and I would have been set for life.
^^^^^^^^ See above, most of them don't do that.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lots of companies prefer married workers, because it implies stability.
I knew this was coming. Not necessarily so. It's a cultural bias, and reflects a company's culture. It's borderline redneck, IMO. So, what's better then, a person who is on their third marriage with contentiousness going on in the background from custody battles et al....or a person that hasn't married. There are plenty of stories of single people who have had stable experiences with companies: (a) a story of a lady at Delta who spent her life there, was always single, lived in a humble ATL area, and had no one to leave her small fortune to, and (b) they did a homepage feature on people who had never switched jobs since college and they showed this single guy who had worked at Prudential in NJ his whole life. It's a chicken and egg issue. If the culture favors "married" folks, the single folks will say eff you and move on, so it's not really a reflection of their stability, it's a reflection of the employer's narrow-mindedness.

No one answered what makes a great wife yet, per the OP title?

Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lots of companies prefer married workers, because it implies stability.
Completely disagree with this. Most hiring managers will equate a married individual with family...aka vacations, months needed off for maternity leave, doctors appointments, unexpected times when one will need to leave early or come in late for various different reasons.

I do not have a husband or kids=no immediate obligations=at work more consistently then those with family.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I do not have a husband or kids=no immediate obligations=at work more consistently then those with family.
You had better believe it. Call comes in to work - kid is in the principal's office for fighting, parent-employee takes off. Time off when kid is sick. Time off to take kid to the doctor. Time off to watch kid's sporting event. Etc. etc. I have no complaints with it at all. Just don't say single people are irresponsible. It's more of a condescending attitude on the part of employers where the culture rewards married people.

But, back to the NFL and professional sports, I could see a small amount of validity in that because they are lumped in with ENTERTAINMENT folks, most of whom have circuitous love lives. For people who are going to work in a hospital, an engineering firm or a school, I doubt there is a correlation between their being single and their ability to produce work.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:08 PM

639 posts, read 828,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I knew this was coming. Not necessarily so. It's a cultural bias, and reflects a company's culture. It's borderline redneck, IMO. So, what's better then, a person who is on their third marriage with contentiousness going on in the background from custody battles et al....or a person that hasn't married. There are plenty of stories of single people who have had stable experiences with companies: (a) a story of a lady at Delta who spent her life there, was always single, lived in a humble ATL area, and had no one to leave her small fortune to, and (b) they did a homepage feature on people who had never switched jobs since college and they showed this single guy who had worked at Prudential in NJ his whole life. It's a chicken and egg issue. If the culture favors "married" folks, the single folks will say eff you and move on, so it's not really a reflection of their stability, it's a reflection of the employer's narrow-mindedness.

No one answered what makes a great wife yet, per the OP title?
Jacksonville has some cool aspects, but it also has that shariah/religious right thing going on too, so I'm not surprised by this news. Of course, athletes make a ton of money, so its worth putting up with it. But for a run of the mill job, I wouldn't put up with an intrusive employer like this

Old 04-16-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash View Post
Jacksonville has some cool aspects, but it also has that shariah/religious right thing going on too, so I'm not surprised by this news. Of course, athletes make a ton of money, so its worth putting up with it. But for a run of the mill job, I wouldn't put up with an intrusive employer like this
No, whether in the Bay Area or the Tidewater Virginia, an employer who makes an issue of this is borderline redneck. That's what I meant.

I've been to Jacksonville. I like its beaches for a few days (Fernandina, Ponte Vedra, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships