Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 PM

297 posts, read 740,623 times

Advertisements

My gf and I have been together almost 5 years and she is nearing 50 and I am nearing 30. I love our relationship very much but do despise the perceptions that strangers have of us.

When we go out for dinner, they hand her the check.
When I took her to urgent care, they asked her "who is that" while referring to me as if she was unclear of my role in the relationship.
One time we went out for lunch and sat next to an elderly woman and she commented to my gf that it's nice to see more adopted children (I'm Asian).

I do play the role of the "provider" in our relationship.

But of course, those perceptions have no bearing on our relationship as I love her very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 08:51 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Wow good for you. Don't worry what other idiots might say. If it works for you more power to you. And I understand the adopted and kind of ignorant part. My son is half Korean and many asked me if he was adopted.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
xlroadster, your post is a breath of fresh air, and a testament to the fact that life isn't a bunch of cliches. I wish you and your gf every happiness.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 11,623 times
I don't believe age has much to do with it once your past a certain point in your life. There are things that some people just need to get out of the way before they may be ready for a serious relationship. I don't see why age has anything to do with it in the slightest. 30 and 50 can work with love. Love is two people connecting on a whole new level and understanding the others needs to become a bond that is unbreakable. I wish u luck and hope for the best. Happiness seems to be harder and harder to find these days and we can only hope to find a piece of true happiness ourselves one day

Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,163 times
I'd definitely enjoy being cougared by an older woman who looked like Cindy Crawford or Denise Richards but I wouldn't want to be married to a much older woman. When I'm still young looking, it will feel weird having my wife look way old and undesirable. Demi was stupid for thinking it'd work with her and Ashton. Cougars are usually women who were stunning and batting the men away in their prime so they take aging very poorly and go a bit crazy about hanging onto their looks and proving they can lure 20 year old studs same as always.

I think those relationships can work out sometimes. If the man isn't very good looking, he probably will be just fine with a sexy older woman. Also some guys have mommy issues and would want to marry someone the age of their mother who acts maternal to them. Hugh Jackman has been happily married to a much older woman for decades although I suspect he may be a little more Jean Grey and a bit less Wolverine if you know what I mean.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 PM

733 posts, read 1,663,757 times
I hate to agree with the author but I gotta admit, there is some truth in there.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:23 PM

It's usually not the older women doing the cougaring. It's younger men who approach older women. Older women actually tend to avoid younger men for LTR's because they think the men might not be mature enough. But there are some remarkably mature guys, even in their 20's. It just goes to show that you can't judge people by anything: age, appearance, ethnicity, religion, etc. You have to get to know people first.

All the relationships I know between younger men and older women are still going strong, they're happy marriages.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:18 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
The woman in the article got dumped once she entered menopause. Thats common sense, and should be.expected from any younger man. It is basic biology that men with a strong sex drive will not be attracted to a menopausal woamn. I adore younger men, but would never date one seriosuly. Stick to sex and fun, dont watch the rare examples who make it.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
The woman in the article got dumped once she entered menopause. Thats common sense, and should be.expected from any younger man. It is basic biology that men with a strong sex drive will not be attracted to a menopausal woamn. I adore younger men, but would never date one seriosuly. Stick to sex and fun, dont watch the rare examples who make it.
Guess what, people have brains to override biology. And many men are mature enough in a committed relationship that they wouldn't just dump their wife of many years, that's quite the vote of no-confidence in men to expect that they would. The fact is that some do, some don't. I have several friends who are past menopause, and their younger husbands still love them and are happy with them.

Don't forget--hormone replacement therapy can do wonders, as one guy on another thread testified. He said the best sex he's ever had was with a post-menopausal woman. They can be quite uninhibited, and he said the HRT does amazing things for them physiologically. If men were so shallow as some would have us believe, and menopause such an obstacle, no women past menopause would be married.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:10 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Guess what, people have brains to override biology. And many men are mature enough in a committed relationship that they wouldn't just dump their wife of many years, that's quite the vote of no-confidence in men to expect that they would. The fact is that some do, some don't. I have several friends who are past menopause, and their younger husbands still love them and are happy with them.

Don't forget--hormone replacement therapy can do wonders, as one guy on another thread testified. He said the best sex he's ever had was with a post-menopausal woman. They can be quite uninhibited, and he said the HRT does amazing things for them physiologically. If men were so shallow as some would have us believe, and menopause such an obstacle, no women past menopause would be married.
Brains don't overcome biology. And men don't dump their wives after many years if they have aged too and as such have grown into a new life phase together. But a 40 year old who seriously dates a 20 year will get the boot later on almost every time

Mod cut: Inappropriate language.

None of this makes a man shallow. Our sex drives are about reproduction and that is a fact.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-16-2012 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships