Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 07:19 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,407,210 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking about this because of something I just posted in the orbiter thread.

Has anyone here taken someone under their wing in a romantic context and tried to "fix" them? I am guilty of it. I've done it out of misguided compassion. Buying guys a whole new wardrobe. Trying to teach them social skills they should have learned long ago. Trying to coach them to be the best that they can be. I have done that and much more. The thing is that I found that they will accept the help but come to feel entitled to it. That is what my relationship with my ex-fiance was like. I guess it is a codependent thing. Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 08:44 PM

25 posts, read 15,649 times
I myself a "project" I chuckled reading this. Many women are attracted to dysfunctional men. The instinct to be a mother-like fixer kicks in.

Personally, my social skills are there but the finances are not.

One thing I realized about relationships (for the most part) is that you have to pay to play.

Relationships costs money, as with everything else.

You've dated thug type dudes ?

Old 04-01-2017, 08:47 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,407,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Griffith View Post
I myself a "project" I chuckled reading this. Many women are attracted to dysfunctional men. The instinct to be a mother-like fixer kicks in.

Personally, my social skills are there but the finances are not.

One thing I realized about relationships (for the most part) is that you have to pay to play.

Relationships costs money, as with everything else.

You've dated thug type dudes ?
No, sad sacks. Screw money. If you are so inclined you can find fun for next to free,

Old 04-01-2017, 09:04 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
No, sad sacks. Screw money. If you are so inclined you can find fun for next to free,
This.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:12 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
No.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:02 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,418,276 times
Once I was the project and once I tried a project.

The first saw great potential in me if I only raised my standards a bit. Jeans and sneakers? No, gray boat shoes with light colored slacks were more presentable. Small apartment in an old building? No, a two bedroom modern monstrosity in the new development across town was better suited to me. Oh, these I paid for since she was always maxed out on everything. This lasted two years until I finally found my nuts again and said enough. She's happily married to some corporate nitwit with the nice BMW's, the three beautiful (and immaculately dressed) children in the nicest house in the newest part of town.

I tried a project relationship once. A beautiful lady who happened to have been roughly handled in a poor family as she grew up. There was potential I thought. All I managed to do was create a monster after showing her life at a few levels above her regular standards. There was no progress on the inside, where it matters. We ended as somewhat friends, and can still talk today, but she settled on a life closer to her upbringing. Her comfort zone I guess.

We are what we are, what we have been.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:20 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,755,151 times
Most women need "projects". They think they can "fix" a guy.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Not intentionally.

I did have a relationship with a guy where it ended up that way. When we met, he had issues he was actually proactively working to resolve (actively participating in therapy, creating healthy boundaries where ones previously hadn't existed, going outside his comfort zone, etc. ).

Within about a year, maybe two, of being involved, all forward progress had stopped, and old behavioral patterns had re-emerged. Stopped therapy and the behavioral management techniques he'd learned in therapy, let abusive people back into his life, negative, self-harming behavior returned. I had entered into the relationship because of my own observation that he was doing what he needed to do to be healthy. Unfortunately, that all stopped further down the road.

Even then, I knew "fixing" wasn't on me, though.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 04-01-2017 at 10:52 PM..

Old 04-01-2017, 10:46 PM

25 posts, read 15,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not intentionally.

I did have a relationship with a guy where it ended up that way. When we met, he had issues he was actually proactively working to resolve (actively participating in therapy, creating healthy boundaries where ones previously hadn't existed, going outside his comfort zone, etc. ).

Within about a year, maybe two, of being involved, all forward progress had stopped, and old behavioral patterns had re-emerged. Stopped therapy and the behavioral management techniques he'd learned in therapy, let abusive people back into his life, negative, self-harming behavior returned. I had entered into the relationship because of my own observation that he was doing what he needed to do to be healthy. Unfortunately, that all stopped further down the road.
and you loved every minute of the "project."

Old 04-01-2017, 10:53 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,415,758 times
I once dated a woman who came from the projects. Does that count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships