U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:38 AM

17,632 posts, read 11,440,448 times

Advertisements

When we think we've found said person that we would like to take a chance on, to some extent do we settle or make some comprise some?

For example maybe they don't have the same religious beliefs as we do or their political beliefs are different from ours. Perhaps they are not as tall or short as we wish them to be, etc

What say you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 07:43 AM

3,798 posts, read 6,451,035 times
No I didn't settle, I got more than I expected in a partner. We don't have the same political beliefs but I actually think that's a good thing now.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,373,322 times
it's not settling when it's the best you can do.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 AM

10,712 posts, read 10,059,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
When we think we've found said person that we would like to take a chance on, to some extent do we settle or make some comprise some?

For example maybe they don't have the same religious beliefs as we do or their political beliefs are different from ours. Perhaps they are not as tall or short as we wish them to be, etc

What say you?

I don't think "compromising" is the same as "settling". To me, settling is taking whatever you can get, regardless, for the sake of having someone and not being alone. Compromising is realizing that certain criteria you have can and, often, should be flexible in order to have a successful relationship.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:58 AM

9,410 posts, read 12,783,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I don't think "compromising" is the same as "settling". To me, settling is taking whatever you can get, regardless, for the sake of having someone and not being alone. Compromising is realizing that certain criteria you have can and, often, should be flexible in order to have a successful relationship.
I couldn't rep you but this is a great post.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 AM

3,992 posts, read 8,244,976 times
Yes, the perfect partner which exists in our imagination is probably unlikely to exist in real life.

therefore, to an extent, we all do settle.
Unless we constantly have a stream of new partners, I guess we'll never know if we settled or not.

It's a percentage game really, if you get someone who ticks 99 of your 100 boxes, then statistically you aren't likely to do much better, so you settle for 99%
Quote:

Old 04-16-2012, 08:51 AM

14,958 posts, read 19,628,248 times
Yes, of course, and you can feel entirely blissful with that person too. That is the beauty of love.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:50 PM

16,384 posts, read 16,205,965 times
Looking back, I can see ways in which I have settled. Especially w/ my last bf...Wtf was I thinking...

I don't like comparing partners, but I had a real solid connection w/ someone in my past (and that connection remains surprisingly even more solid today) but I can see how much was lacking in other relationships...I think that's pretty sad, because alot of people don't realize until it's too late.

I thought it was a result of getting older, experiencing more hurt, making people slower to trust, always holding back something, just in case....and ya start thinking "This is just how it is....the game has changed."

Sometimes when we want for someone to be "right" for us, we don't always see how wrong they really are.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:57 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,478,588 times
Quote:
Exactly, had to rep this one. The word "settling" has so many negative connotations, but if you sit down and think about it - there are MANY things in life where we all "settle" on..Down to getting decaf coffee from the morning deli one morning if they are out of stock on regular coffee, to choosing a college to attend, certain clothes to wear, etc.

When you meet the right person, you don't see it as "settling". Anyone who uses that word to describe their partner, im my view, is someone who may be suffering from low self-esteem. If you find your principles and values compromised to a degree where you are feeling like someone else, then I think the relatonship is doomed to fail because you're forcing yourself to compromise on aspects that typically are ones you feel are completely against your nature.

And of course, there are arguments for "settling" for that partner who brings most of the qualities you want but may not completely fulfill your checklist (which inevitably rarealy happens):

Marry Him! - Magazine - The Atlantic

Last edited by LegalDiva; 04-16-2012 at 01:31 PM..

Old 04-16-2012, 01:26 PM

21,188 posts, read 23,117,228 times
Quote:
Like others have said - great post!

And I'll add this - perhaps if I had my "perfect man" in mind years ago - there are lots of traits that he might have had that maybe my husband doesn't. But here's the thing - when you have checklists, lists, demands, etc. - they don't amount to a whole person. You can't build a person. So maybe my husband doesn't have the exact political beliefs that I would have wanted my "perfect man" to have - but my husband's political beliefs are a part of him. They are a part of the total package. And this total package is so much more perfect for me than any checklist could ever have been. So it's not like I've "settled" for someone with slightly different political beliefs than me - it's that I fell in love with this amazing person and he happens to lean slightly more to the right than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships