Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

Nope. Pretty secure with things as they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:37 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Hm. DH and I have been married 30 years.

I was married before, and he was a man-wh*** - his word, not mine.
Neither one of us cared about what went on before, or who did what to whom whenever.

He and I were perfectly content to explore all sorts of sexual escapades - with each other. We never asked, "Did you do this with so-and-so?"- we were too into what WE were doing with each other!

Worrying about, thinking about, and stressing over what happened in the past is a total waste of time - what happens now and in the future is what matters.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,614 times
Like other posters to this topic, I was sort of obsessive about this when I was younger. My first love wasn't a virgin — he'd had two sexual partners — and I was. At the tender age of 17, this was a HUGE DEAL to me. I think it was because I had deep-seated insecurity. Would I be able to please him, sexually? Would I turn him on the most? Would he "cheat" in the future, being that he'd had more experience? Just juvenile stuff like that.

But now that I'm older ... nope. Not really. My S.O. has a past, as do I. But that's all it is — the past.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:58 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Geeezzzz....no. I am just glad he came with lots of practice I benefit from...

Old 04-16-2012, 11:12 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
No. And if you do, you are insecure. That's a harsh reality for some, but denying it isn't fixing the problem or doing you any favors. Just making you more cynical.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:14 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byfuglien View Post
Byfuglien. He's a hockey player.
Jeezus....Poor guy.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:47 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byfuglien View Post
Like think/want to know each detail about them and whether they still have any feelings for fantasies about those experiences?

I do.
No , he is with me now and like everyone else allowed a past. I trust him and I love him , at the end of the day he chose ME. I am insecure about many things in life but this is not one of those.

It can only be soul destroying and destructive to try and anyalyse someone else's past and agonise about it. We are very open and always have been but at the end of the day his past romantic and sexual is His and his alone and part of who he is and I have no business trying to butt in.

Unless there is an obvious problem and your partner is still holding a torch for an ex and being distracted with you and comparing you to an ex, then I don't see an issue.

He had sex with other women before me. I knew that when I met him. Period.

In my opinion going over partner's sexual past can only engender distrust, a feeling of self imposed inadequacy and lack of self confidence which in itself will have repercussions on your current relationship and make the other person unhappy and feeling almost nagged and even sometimes accused of non existing deeds or thoughts.

Relationships are hard enough without having to put a spoke into the wheels with looking back rather than forward.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:02 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
No , he is with me now and like everyone else allowed a past. I trust him and I love him , at the end of the day he chose ME. I am insecure about many things in life but this is not one of those.

It can only be soul destroying and destructive to try and anyalyse someone else's past and agonise about it. We are very open and always have been but at the end of the day his past romantic and sexual is His and his alone and part of who he is and I have no business trying to butt in.

Unless there is an obvious problem and your partner is still holding a torch for an ex and being distracted with you and comparing you to an ex, then I don't see an issue.

He had sex with other women before me. I knew that when I met him. Period.

In my opinion going over partner's sexual past can only engender distrust, a feeling of self imposed inadequacy and lack of self confidence which in itself will have repercussions on your current relationship and make the other person unhappy and feeling almost nagged and even sometimes accused of non existing deeds or thoughts.

Relationships are hard enough without having to put a spoke into the wheels with looking back rather than forward.
Good post, i don't think i could say it better.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:32 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I'm just amazed that so many don't care about a potential partners past behavior. As one poster mentioned, previous history is the best indicator of future behavior. I would certainly want to know if a potential partner had been a prostitute, drug dealer, thief, murderer, been involved in sexual abuse, swinging, group sex, homosexuality or a bunch of other things. EG. I would have no interest in any woman who had killed her 2 previous husbands or cut off some man's manhood in the middle of the night.
I guess that would be a concern for people who socialize with low life... As far as the last one, it's simply laughable. If somebody killed and managed to get away with it (otherwise there would be a record of it, don't you think), chances are pretty darn good they won't confess to you, either. Use your heads, people! That's what they're for!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:52 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Well, darling, some of us make mistakes when we're young but if we don't wallow in them, we CAN learn and grow. And I fail to see where there's any misguided optimism. He grew up, learned from his past and moved on and I have the most wonderful partner in every sense - he is my partner in all things. There's no "I" in partner.

yes everyone makes mistakes that's true. But in my world all mistakes are not equal. There's little mistakes and then there's 'WTF mistakes' -- don't you agree? I guess the main factor is which category someone would place different mistakes. I don't know anything about your husband or how many times he's been married; I said it was misguided optimism b/c to me a person with 3, 4, 5, failed marriages is a 'WTF mistake' not a learning experience. But that is me and maybe that is not how you would view such a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships