Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:08 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
When I was there last winter it sounded to me like the locals said Nor-fulk but with the L in the second syllable as silently as possible. I found I could not say it exactly the same as I heard it.
Did you eat at that incredibly crowded Golden Corral? I got stuck in norfuk on a Saturday night last summer, due to thunderstorms. I think everyone in the town was at that golden corral. Back home people tend to avoid it like its condemned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 10:10 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
I know it's just Wikipedia, but it says to pronounce Raleigh, raw-lee.
There was a debate about this on the local board a long time ago...it was pretty enlightening for a newbie to the area (at that time) like myself.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:17 PM

349 posts, read 459,881 times
Quote:
Did you eat at that incredibly crowded Golden Corral? I got stuck in norfuk on a Saturday night last summer, due to thunderstorms. I think everyone in the town was at that golden corral. Back home people tend to avoid it like its condemned.
This is how I have heard it pronounced.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,012,284 times
Quote:
I don't remember seeing one but I wouldn't have been looking for it. I wont eat at a chain unless there is absolutely no other option and I'm starving.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:37 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,012,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffeGal View Post
This is how I have heard it pronounced.
lol You think no L in there? I didn't get a handle on it but to me it had a hint of the L and as I said I never could quite pronounce it as they did.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 PM

349 posts, read 459,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
lol You think no L in there? I didn't get a handle on it but to me it had a hint of the L and as I said I never could quite pronounce it as they did.
When I have heard other people say it, I hear Nor-f.u.k but people say the second syllable fast so that it doesn't sound as bad as it looks. If i say it (rare) it would sound like Nor-folk like justthe6ofus said.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:55 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Yes, and Sioux City is appropriately named...SUX.

Thinking about the Raleigh thing, at first I thought they sounded the same but saying them both over and over I can hear a difference. I think I pronounce it correctly. I do have a hard time with Norfolk. How is that pronounced? Is the "l" silent? The town of the same name where I am from is pronounced Nor-fork, so I get confused. LOL
I grew up just across the bridge from Norfolk, VA and I pronounce it No-foke.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:32 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times
I would just choose the hottest five women on this site.....before I watch I would turn the sound off, unplug the phone, pull the curtains, dim the lights. It would be a good night.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:40 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
I'm hosting free Margarita's and Womens Mud wrestling after the show.

Hope y'all can attend.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 AM

37,614 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Yes, and Sioux City is appropriately named...SUX.

Thinking about the Raleigh thing, at first I thought they sounded the same but saying them both over and over I can hear a difference. I think I pronounce it correctly. I do have a hard time with Norfolk. How is that pronounced? Is the "l" silent? The town of the same name where I am from is pronounced Nor-fork, so I get confused. LOL
No, it isn't pronounced that way...at least not correctly. I only hear people that are NOT from here, pronounce it like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships