Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:38 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times

Advertisements

It's much more pleasant (and comforting) to know that no matter where you put your hands and fingers, those places have felt thousands of fingers and hands before yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 04:54 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
I used to change my toothbrush when the bristles fell out. Then i got a toothbrush where i could just change the heads. After that i had several toothbrushes incase i lost one. Now i have a slightly tatty but much loved toothbrush and my wife has an electric one....

I do enjoy a good analogy.....

Old 04-16-2012, 04:56 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
virtuous: Having or showing high moral standards.

promiscuity: miscellaneous mingling or selection of persons or things

Based on these definition you can't be both....other people do not have to have the same preferences, I feel it would do the OP good to realize that they don't and keep it moving.
You just made a leap without any logical reason. You have to explain why not mingling equates to high moral standards. You then have to explain whose morals these are, where they come from, and why they should be applied to everyone on the planet.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:09 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Virtuous: restricted to a single sexual partner. Someone who is committed to a relationship and does not stray or have sex just to have sex.
The question then b ecomes:

Why is this considered virtuous and being promiscuous not?

Why is this any more moral?

Old 04-16-2012, 05:10 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
You just made a leap without any logical reason. You have to explain why not mingling equates to high moral standards. You then have to explain whose morals these are, where they come from, and why they should be applied to everyone on the planet.
everything people say on here is according to you "without logical reasons" unless you're the one saying it. I don't "have" to do anything according to who ever you are.

IMO, a person that is sleeping around does not have high standards. Given the two definitions, miscellaneously choosing something (in this case another person) does not denote having high standards. If you disagree with that, that's your buisness.

Ultimately, as I said before NO ONE has to accept anyone else's preferences period. If you have a problem or issue with the way someone is living -- then don't involve yourself romantically with that person, simple as that. Trying to engage in an arguement to convince people that sleeping around is acceptable to them if they feel it is not is a lost cause (especially in my eyes). You have a much better chance of worrying about what you find acceptable and controlling that.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:10 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
tell you 2 things: you choose 'virtuous' and people will say what aganusn said 'you're outdated and puritanical.'

I think it is weird to equate virtue with sexual abstinence. Sex can be a very good thing. One can be very virtuous, charitable, kind, loving and have sex seems to me.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Ultimately, as I said before NO ONE has to accept anyone else's preferences period.
I don't see it so much as a matter of preference as a matter of how one decides what constitutes virtue.

Quote:
If you have a problem or issue with the way someone is living -- then don't involve yourself romantically with that person, simple as that. Trying to engage in an arguement to convince people that sleeping around is acceptable to them if they feel it is not is a lost cause (especially in my eyes). You have a much better chance of worrying about what you find acceptable and controlling that.
I don't think anyone cares much what someone else does. It is a bit silly to try and equate virtue with abstinence, thereby implying that those who don't abstain cannot be virtuous.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:13 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I think it is weird to equate virtue with sexual abstinence. Sex can be a very good thing. One can be very virtuous, charitable, kind, loving and have sex seems to me.

I didn't say anything about 'having sex,' in general the OP asked about promiscuity & that's what I was addressing. From what I can tell, anything outside of sleeping around is pegged as 'weird' or 'puritanical thinking, etc.' Throwing in the idea that sex is good, isn't going to make me sleep around any faster. But to each his own.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I didn't say anything about 'having sex,' in general the OP asked about promiscuity & that's what I was addressing. From what I can tell, anything outside of sleeping around is pegged as 'weird' or 'puritanical thinking, etc.' Throwing in the idea that sex is good, isn't going to make me sleep around any faster. But to each his own.
I am not sure who you think is trying to get you to sleep around.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:15 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Ha! I like the toothbrush analogy.

What's the benefit of being promiscuous?

I can think of a lot of risks. Just because you have a lot of experience doesn't' mean you're necessarily better in the sack.
You see, there's thing called sex, right? And it turns out most people find it to be a very pleasurable, invigorating, even life-affirming act. It's so much fun, in fact, people want to do it more than once and do it even when they're not trying to reproduce.

I know, I know, this is all very shocking.

Oh, and I throw my toothbrush away every few months...just like I do with my men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships