Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 07:47 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny123a View Post
Thanks for the replies.

It was definitely, the way she was wired - addicted to the drug of work.

She even joked a few times 'I'm married to my job'.

She earned a salaried wage - getting paid for 37.5 hours a week, no overtime, about $38,000 per annum.
Her company must love her, pay for 38 and get 80 out of her. I bet every company wants employees like that, hell they can fire two employees and have her pick up the extra for free. Either 20 years later she'll be a CEO demanding the same from others or she'll be let go by the company for fresh blood after drying her up. But with all the health problems from being dried up hope she has her own health plan after leaving the company.

I get why someone like a self business or artist puts so much hours into something but I'll never get why someone does so for someone elses company because in the end you are replaceable no matter how good or loyal and all you'll get is a thank you and a pin for 20 years service and a see ya one less payroll tax and health benefit to pay for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 07:54 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Default My relationship with a workholic...

Hi Dan,

I don't have time to read all this I'm late for work.

Later

Old 08-26-2013, 07:54 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Old thread, but I'll chip in. Workaholicism is an absolute deal breaker. I simply do not understand these people. Their priorities are so completely out of sync with mine that they may as well be from another planet. Life is far too short to live to work.
You know in this country people are often made to feel guilty. If you aren't on board with the program you are lazy or a under achiever. Now this country is great and it does have opportunity for those that work hard but when you are made to feel guilty because take a vacation I think that is wrong. We have heard those say it before "well I haven't had a vacation in 5 years so!" as if that is a feather in their cap and you are the lazy one because they work....and work!....and work while you enjoy personal time!. Do it for the company man up!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny123a View Post
Thanks for the replies.

It was definitely, the way she was wired - addicted to the drug of work.

She even joked a few times 'I'm married to my job'.

She earned a salaried wage - getting paid for 37.5 hours a week, no overtime, about $38,000 per annum.
That sucks I would walk away if I was her in a heart beat. Heck I even turned down an assistant manager job at my work and it was a only 10k more a year then what I am making now. I told them thanks but no thanks .

Ok back on topic for once

my dad was and is the same way but I am gong to break cycle that once I get college done.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,223 times
I'm sort of seeing a definite workaholic . He doesn't give me much of his time. Has stood me up on many occasions. Hes even too tired to be loving. Owns his own contruction company and takes too mant jobs on at ones. I keep hanging o n

hoping he ll realize we can have something nice together . But I do care for him and he makes my heart skip a beat. He says he's married to his job. And I realize he gets a real high from running from job to job. I guess this his way of avoiding emotions and intimacy .. Thanks for listening

Old 07-20-2014, 05:56 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SULTRY48 View Post
I'm sort of seeing a definite workaholic . He doesn't give me much of his time. Has stood me up on many occasions. Hes even too tired to be loving. Owns his own contruction company and takes too mant jobs on at ones. I keep hanging o n

hoping he ll realize we can have something nice together . But I do care for him and he makes my heart skip a beat. He says he's married to his job. And I realize he gets a real high from running from job to job. I guess this his way of avoiding emotions and intimacy .. Thanks for listening
Workaholics do best with a woman who doesn't love him so much, but just wants him to take care of her financially and won't cheat on him.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:27 PM

377 posts, read 532,955 times
I used to work like that. But way more hours, while I was married, I immersed myself in my work. I worked 130 days in a row, 12+ hours a day. My excuse was that I had to dedicate myself to the business, while the economy began to tank. I told her that I worked like that at times....when it was happening, she said when I told her, she didn't believe anyone really worked that hard...pssst had to pay her cc bills, DT she was. That was in a marriage....I used it as an excuse to be away from the wife. Magically when we got divorced, I was much more available, and would work around spending time with them....it's possible that it was her way to avoid hanging out. It's just a relationship, there will be more. Don't be sad about it, just wasn't meant to be, shake it off and jump back into the fire.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:36 AM

324 posts, read 294,418 times
I can understand people not liking the consequences of dating someone who works a lot but kissing and having sex doesn't pay bills.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:49 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
In all fairness, dating a workaholic isn't easy. He can be a workaholic temporarily, but long term relationship would be challenging. That is why people should just be single if work is more important (important to a point they have to neglect their SO that is.)

Old 11-02-2014, 09:51 AM

957 posts, read 1,060,201 times
I'm shocked she spends so much time there for such little pay. She could make that much and go to school to get a better career in less hours per week. If she'd just work the 38.

At any rate, it's sad how hooked people get to their jobs. I spent a few years working 80-90 hours a week but it was just a grind so I could get the position I have now. Now it's 40-45 hours a week and I love the area I'm in.

Work sucks, I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to. I'd rather be riding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships