Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:56 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Infatuation just means it doesn't last. Love means it does last. Infatuation is also a bit more selfish than love and love is more settled.
Thats true.

Also, loving someone deeply and for a long time does not mean that one knows the other person inside and out like the OP implied. One never knows the other person-and vise versa-inside and out, for one changes each day as one ages or matures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 05:48 PM

230 posts, read 315,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
So ... I'm trying to veer my relationships away from emotions. Look for things like loyalty, dependability, and character. Things my current girlfriend has even though I don't feel an overwhelming emotional drive towards her.
Wow. Does she know that?

Old 04-25-2012, 06:12 PM

230 posts, read 315,456 times
I guess I would agree with the OP. In adulthood, I never believed most of the men who told me they loved me, especially since they told me so just a few months into the relationship. One guy was divorced with a few kids and wasn't in a good situation financially, so I knew when he said I love you that he just liked the idea of having someone to escape with.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:31 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do you hands like the rubber man from Fantastic Four, that can stretch halfway around the world?
Maybe

Old 04-26-2012, 09:36 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Maybe
Then my heiny is all yours!

Old 04-26-2012, 09:59 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Then my heiny is all yours!
Indeed.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:39 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
I agree that they are similar, but romantic love isnt synonomous with strong like or infatuation. I do think that we as a people confuse the two, and reasons why run the gamut because "love" and infatuation arent always easily discernible. Our experiences teach us how to tell the difference...

I question whether I myself have ever really been in love. There is only one woman (my most recent) who is even in the debate. I definitely felt like I did at times, bur as each week passes I'm becoming of the thought that maybe I really wasnt--however, I am a firm believer that true love does exist, completely different from infatuation...

Old 04-28-2012, 05:30 PM

188 posts, read 304,438 times
I think that most, if not all, of romantic love can be explained by biology and evolutionary psychology. Romantic love between a man and a woman definitely has a solid biological basis.

Biological basis of love - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,130 times
Quote:
This isn't a discussion about what the difference between 'infatuation' and being in love is. Well, I guess that is bound to be brought up yet again...I suppose the more I think about it, the more I think the word 'love' doesn't really have a place in the romantic world.

For me real love is 'agape' love, familial love, love between close friends - love that involves sacrificing for the other person, where their wellbeing is linked to your own.

Almost all romantic love, to me, is just strong infatuation - a sexual attraction, a strong crush. That's why I've liked girls but always felt it slightly silly to say I'm 'in love' with them.

To me, to be truly in love would require being with that person for a long time and/or knowing that person inside out, knowing their soul. Kind of where romantic and agape love meet.

I'm not saying this doesn't exist, but it's not something I've personally experienced.

I believe most relationships today are based on a combination of lust and butterflies in the stomach type high-schoolish love. There is no stronger foundation than that, that's why they come and go with the wind.

Also another thing, I might talk about in another thread is ego and wanting to feel loved as a basis for a relationship.
Nobody else's wellbeing can ever impact your own wellbeing negatively or positively.

What you are describing as "agape" sounds more like neediness to me.

"Agape" in its true form is a selfless love in that there is no expectation in return... Not expecting any sort of effect on the other person... no expectation of making them happy and no silly attaching your wellbeing to theirs.

What "agape" is not: "Here's a poem I wrote for you, a vial of my blood, and a list of sacrifices I have made for you... now will you please show me the reaction that you are happy and well... so I can feel good about myself and allow myself to now feel happy and well?"

how messed up is that?!??? ------------> Very.

"Agape" is valuing the other individual's freedom to think, act, feel, live, and love as they choose. Absolutely no strings attached

Old 04-28-2012, 06:03 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1987 View Post
Nobody else's wellbeing can ever impact your own wellbeing negatively or positively.

What you are describing as "agape" sounds more like neediness to me.

"Agape" in its true form is a selfless love in that there is no expectation in return... Not expecting any sort of effect on the other person... no expectation of making them happy and no silly attaching your wellbeing to theirs.

What "agape" is not: "Here's a poem I wrote for you, a vial of my blood, and a list of sacrifices I have made for you... now will you please show me the reaction that you are happy and well... so I can feel good about myself and allow myself to now feel happy and well?"

how messed up is that?!??? ------------> Very.

"Agape" is valuing the other individual's freedom to think, act, feel, live, and love as they choose. Absolutely no strings attached
If that's the case, very few people are capable of true 'agape' love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships