Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 AM

12,098 posts, read 16,975,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
It's a line unattached women hear from their friends often when they wonder why they seem to be perpetually single. "Men are just intimidated because you're so beautiful/smart/successful/etc."

Is it true that men are afraid to approach a woman they find extremely attractive, or is it just a line used to make these women feel better?
Sometimes, I get nervous around women I find attractive, which is not necessarily what society might find the most attractive.

I also find if the woman is engaging and friendly, it will put me at ease.

Also, the perfect cure for being intimidated around attractive women or any women for that matter ... get a girlfriend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 AM

3,864 posts, read 6,769,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
In my salad days, I could have been. I remember being introduced to one girl who was so gorgeous that I was totally tongue tied. As in all I could do was babble insensibly. Meanwhile, my brain was saying, "Good God, Man! Say something witty! You're better than this!" Needless to say, I didn't make a good impression. She probably thought I was semi-retarded.
LMAO! I have been there. I can't talk to most incredibly gorgeous women, I get tongue tied as well. I think this is partly because of how young I am. I notice the older I get, the more I am willing to just say "f**k it! You only live once".

I have met incredibly attractive women who I seem to click with. These types are the rare breed who actually have a personality that compliments yours. Easy to get along with, and fun to be around. Remember ladies, its your job to carry on the conversation too! I hate it when I have to do ALL of the work.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:54 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,139,078 times
Nobody wants to be rejected. I believe the thought process is that a beautiful woman can have anyone she wants (right or wrong), so she is more likely to reject someone who is not exactly what she wants.

So yes, that can be intimidating for someone who does not have the confidence.

As we get older, we focus less on superficial things, and we care less about them, so the anxiety associated with approaching beautiful women diminishes (because as we get older, beauty is so much more than just how a person looks).

Old 04-17-2012, 10:58 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,008,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Remember ladies, its your job to carry on the conversation too! I hate it when I have to do ALL of the work.
This is a great point, and really for me, this is where the intimidation comes into play. I'm "intimidated" by the amount of work ahead of me when trying to talk to/ask out/date a hot woman who has a million other options. The girl herself isn't intimidating, she's just a person as am I.

For example, at a bar or first meeting somewhere, one way conversations are a lot of work, and I generally take this as a cue that they're not interested (whether talking to a hot girl or a regular girl). So when a girl does start asking questions about me, I ease up and feel like the workload ahead may not be that daunting.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:38 AM

14,727 posts, read 33,242,287 times
Quote:
It's a line unattached women hear from their friends often when they wonder why they seem to be perpetually single. "Men are just intimidated because you're so beautiful/smart/successful/etc."

Is it true that men are afraid to approach a woman they find extremely attractive, or is it just a line used to make these women feel better?
Since I march to my own drummer, I've got my own answer. The OP asks about pretty women. Trying to talk to a 9.75+ girl who is a total ditz in SoCal is difficult because...well...they don't have much to say...unless you can't help them in "the industry" or some other shallow endeavor. (I also find it hard to maintain a conversation with a woman cutting my hair at "Great Clips" because she might talk about having recently moved from Vegas with her kids). If an attractive woman who is an 8 or a 9 is also smart, they are easier to talk to because they can actually talk about something. I don't think most men are intimidated by women who are in their same rating zone, whatever that might be. At least, I hope not.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:38 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,509,831 times
Quote:

I for one definitely am. Even though I am a 3 or 4 in the looks dept, I always shoot much higher than my own league. I usually only try talking to women who are 6es and up. Which usually results in either two things

1. I'm too afraid to talk to them

2. Massive failure, getting shut down so harshly that it could make Stevie Wonder flinch

Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,912,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I for one definitely am. Even though I am a 3 or 4 in the looks dept, I always shoot much higher than my own league. I usually only try talking to women who are 6es and up. Which usually results in either two things

1. I'm too afraid to talk to them

2. Massive failure, getting shut down so harshly that it could make Stevie Wonder flinch
You look good! You're just too young... You'll grow into a good-looking man!

Old 04-17-2012, 12:25 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,640,880 times
I am. It's a self-confidence thing. I figure a pretty girl has plenty of men all interested in her, and I figure many of them are probably better looking than me, so I figure she's not gonna be into me.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:32 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,354,578 times
When I was single it seemed as if the guys with the biggest egos would approach me the quiet brainy types were kinda scarce.

The guys with the arrogant stance usually had the most guts and if you turned them down they'd persist for a while because they couldn't believe you weren't interested, or if you went out once with them they couldn't believe they only got one date.

I also had no problem asking guys out I was interested in dating.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:40 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,626,600 times
As a general rule, I think this is true.
I know that I was intimidated by the girl that would eventually become my wife. I didn't talk to her for the first month after first meeting her. I ASSUMED that I was simply NOT good enough for her..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships