Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:40 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
The men obviously think lightskin women are more sexier and attractive.
I certainly don't and.... one sec'.... yep, i'm a man.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:45 AM

31,005 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
What do you mean by where you're from? Honestly, imo, YOU make it a big deal and you let it affect you mentally. I see dark skinned women all the time. Heck, I work with some dark skinned women both attractive and average looking. They are either married or have SO's. There are stunning dark skinned women who are models and if you ask me, are 100 times prettier than other ethnicities. I've said it before and like other posters have commented on your threads, you have a self esteem issue. You make it about you. Trust me, it's not your skin tone. It's this vibe you give off that's the problem.
Definately, self esteem, but she has good points on the sources that have contributed to it. Some times you can be told your unattractive by someone when you are younger, even once or twice and it can have a life long affect on some people.

I can see that stand point. In a case where someone is told by family and people around they that they have features that are unattractive, and it's reinforced by TV and make up ads showing people that look attractive that look nothing like you (Someone earlier post a video documentary interviwing people who were commenting on it). You can have one person who is devastated by this barrage of negativity and someone who lives right next door not affected by it one bit. Like they say "Walk a mile in another mans shoes" or woman in this case.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:45 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,118,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Here Anna--Let me say this in a way you will understand. Because I truly believe you are making a mountain out of a molehill.[do Northern girls understand that expression?] You, a dark skinned lady, were standing with a light skinned lady, and I had the chance to take one of you out on a date after talking to you both. The light skinned lady was pretty but she was a self centered biatch who thought she was all that. You, on the other hand, are dark skinnned but smart, conversant in many topics and an all around nice lady. Even though I sometimes prefer light skinned women, who do you think I'm going to ask out? YOU! So I guess the point is for you to just concentrate on being the best lady you can be and dont worry about crap you have no control over.
That's the issue I have, why do I have to try so hard? And what happens if the lightskin woman was just as smart and funny as I was? most likely you would have went with the lightskin lady because that is what you prefer. I always tell myself I would never date a guy who has a preference for lightskin because if you date him he will always be checking out lightskin women when he was with you and will probably leave you for his preference.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:50 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
The men obviously think lightskin women are more sexier and attractive.
Well who gives a flying flip. If a guy (or girl) dosent find you attractive for who you are and love the way you look then why bother with him! Anyone worth loving sees the beauty inside then no matter how dark or light your skin is, or how tall or short, thin or heavy your are you will be beautiful on the outside too.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:53 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
That's the issue I have, why do I have to try so hard? And what happens if the lightskin woman was just as smart and funny as I was? most likely you would have went with the lightskin lady because that is what you prefer. I always tell myself I would never date a guy who has a preference for lightskin because if you date him he will always be checking out lightskin women when he was with you and will probably leave you for his preference.

Come on. What type of guys do YOU prefer? If you were choosing between someone like a dark skin-ded Dwayne Wade and a yellow Ice-T, do you think Ice-T would get all mad that you chose the chocolate coco puff brutha? Do you think D-Wade would be upset that you chose the high yella Ice-T? Of course not, they are secure in their own skin and would just chalk it up to YOU as an individual somehow liking and/or connecting with the other person.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:54 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well who gives a flying flip. If a guy (or girl) dosent find you attractive for who you are and love the way you look then why bother with him! Anyone worth loving sees the beauty inside then no matter how dark or light your skin is, or how tall or short, thin or heavy your are you will be beautiful on the outside too.
I like flip flops.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:54 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
actually... no.. skin bleaching is more popular in india, asian,south america,etc pretty much every one but whites, who are trying to tan.

the Colorism doc and a BBC doc both by Indian women comes to mind
yes i know. its still pretty stupid in my opinion. why cant we just accept and love ourselves, the way we are?

Old 04-20-2012, 11:55 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yep.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:57 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,118,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post

Come on. What type of guys do YOU prefer? If you were choosing between someone like a dark skin-ded Dwayne Wade and a yellow Ice-T, do you think Ice-T would get all mad that you chose the chocolate coco puff brutha? Do you think D-Wade would be upset that you chose the high yella Ice-T? Of course not, they are secure in their own skin and would just chalk it up to YOU as an individual somehow liking and/or connecting with the other person.
Of course they wouldn't take it hard. Darkskin men aren't really affected by colorism in terms of dating.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's been made clear before that this is some sort of obsession within the black community we're not even aware of.
I'm black, and I'm not aware of it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.