Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:25 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,974 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this belongs in relationship or somewhere else. I guess it could go in here because it has to do with interpersonal relationships.

I post a lot on internet forums... I mentioned that I was sort of a hermit and that no one comes over to my house. Two other people mentioned that if they were my neighbor they would think I was involved in illegal activity.

To me that is crazy. Don't you have to KNOW people and SOCIALIZE in order to do something illegal? I wouldn't even know how to buy pot since I have no connections. I never drank alcohol even when younger cause I was never invited anywhere... hence I NEVER dealt with peer pressure when younger. You need peers/friends first. How can I do illegal stuff when I don't know anyone? lol

Is it really that unusual for someone to be a hermit and have no guests/family come over that neighbors will think you are up to no good?

If you must know the truth, I have been a loner even in high school already; I used to hide in the library and eat in there. I have ALWAYS been a loner because that's just how I am.

I spend a lot of my time online on forums.... despite the fact that I am anti-social. Some of the people on the forum that I posted on could not understand the fact why I would post on a relationship forum when I was anti social. Apparently they don't know the distinction between online interaction and real-life interaction. Just because I'm anti social in person doesn't mean I can't enjoy posting in relationship forums!

Anyways, I just was insulted that people said that hermits must be doing something illegal... They also refused to believe that a hermit could be good looking... since many said that good looking people generally attract lots of friends/people and thus it was impossible to be a good looking female hermit...

I am not a TOTAL hermit; I leave the house to go shopping, grocery, exercise... I just mean a hermit in terms of never going out on the weekends and no one coming over...

Is it really THAT unusual for an attractive female to always be home alone and choose to be single/alone and never have people come over? (No one has come over once in over a year) Jeez

I find it insulting. Personally I think it's more suspicious when people have guests over all the time. I think that my neighbors should be happy to have a neighbor who is quiet like a mouse like me.

Is it that shocking to not have any friends that people think you are doing something illegal? I find that insulting and a reflection of how society judges people who are loners..

Last edited by jackie100; 04-22-2012 at 10:41 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 10:33 PM

733 posts, read 1,663,883 times
I, for one, don't care one bit what my neighbors are up to and wouldn't even notice if my neighbors are always out/in/whatever. Chances are your neighbors aren't judging you in any way, so relax.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlilac View Post
I, for one, don't care one bit what my neighbors are up to and wouldn't even notice if my neighbors are always out/in/whatever. Chances are your neighbors aren't judging you in any way, so relax.
No, it wasn't my neighbors but people on a different forum (another relationship forum).... I mentioned on the forum that I was a hermit and some of the posters mentioned they would be suspicious IF they were my neighbor... I can't ask them what they meant because I got banned from that forum. The guy who started the topic said he only noticed that his neighbor was quiet because she was super attractive and hot... so that's why he thought it was abnormal.

I wrote that I'm a hermit but also attractive... and then everyone accused me of lying and said I was probably lying about being attractive..

I guess I don't care as much as to what my neighbors think; more about the attitude of those people on the forums...

Old 04-22-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
No, it wasn't my neighbors but people on a different forum (another relationship forum).... I mentioned on the forum that I was a hermit and some of the posters mentioned they would be suspicious IF they were my neighbor... I can't ask them what they meant because I got banned from that forum.
Why would you care what random people on the Internet think, if your actual neighbors are fine with your lifestyle?

Old 04-22-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Why would you care what random people on the Internet think, if your actual neighbors are fine with your lifestyle?
I dunno... lol

It's just something to debate; that's all. Like many people debate on City Data about topics all the time. If those people had that thought that then I am sure that others in the "real world" may have that same train of thought. It just bothers me; that's all. I just find that the world is judgmental of those who want to be alone, never want to get married, want to be single, don't have a lot of friends etc.

I was just curious of that was a common train of thought.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
No, it wasn't my neighbors but people on a different forum (another relationship forum).... I mentioned on the forum that I was a hermit and some of the posters mentioned they would be suspicious IF they were my neighbor... I can't ask them what they meant because I got banned from that forum. The guy who started the topic said he only noticed that his neighbor was quiet because she was super attractive and hot... so that's why he thought it was abnormal.

I wrote that I'm a hermit but also attractive... and then everyone accused me of lying and said I was probably lying about being attractive..
In my opinion, internet forums aren't the nicest of places because people are emboldened to be brutally honest and sometimes rude when they can remain anonymous. If you are uncomfortable with people judging you and making unfair comments, you should probably avoid discussing yourself on forums or avoid forums.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
In my opinion, internet forums aren't the nicest of places because people are emboldened to be brutally honest and sometimes rude when they can remain anonymous. If you are uncomfortable with people judging you and making unfair comments, you should probably avoid discussing yourself on forums or avoid forums.
I've been posting on internet forums for the past 10 years on different ones so I'm well aware of what goes on. I am not uncomfortable; just trying to understand their point of view or how they would come to such a conclusion.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I dunno... lol

It's just something to debate; that's all. Like many people debate on City Data about topics all the time. If those people had that thought that then I am sure that others in the "real world" may have that same train of thought. It just bothers me; that's all. I just find that the world is judgmental of those who want to be alone, never want to get married, want to be single, don't have a lot of friends etc.

I was just curious of that was a common train of thought.
I can't help you out with the "common train of thought" part of your concern since, like I previously mentioned, I don't pay too attention to my neighbors' activities until they become acquaintances.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:49 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Do you have a career?

If you don't,I can see how they would think you were doing something illegal.
Otherwise,how would you be able to pay the rent?

On another note,I'm kind of a loner too,but most people think I'm crazy.
I'm surprised people don't think you are crazy.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I can't help you out with the "common train of thought" part of your concern since, like I previously mentioned, I don't pay too attention to my neighbors' activities until they become acquaintances.
Understood... I think the people who I mentioned only noticed because the neighbor was really good looking... if it was a plain woman they would not have noticed but since the woman was attractive they though it was extremely odd that she was a hermit.

So it seems like if you are average then no one cares but if you are very good looking then MALES (male neighbors) will notice and wonder what's going on and why you have no life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships