Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:14 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,642,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomlySpecific View Post
I'm trying to be sympathetic to how she feels.

My man proposed to me a month ago today. We shared the news with our family and friends but I guess we left someone out. When my Fiancé's baby mama, we'll call her Tess, dropped off their son (her mom has her son most the time and that's who normally drops him off) yesterday she noticed the ring on my finger and I shared the news with her. She said congratulations and didn't show any disdain towards hearing the news. Let me say that her and I are cordial, there's never been any drama, ever. I've always thought she was a sweet person. We've even hung out a few times.

This morning I get a call from my Fiancé's grandmother saying Tess called her very upset. She said that Tess was upset at the news of us getting married and felt that it was a slap in the face because she gave my Fiancé six years of her life and a son, how could he marry me after only three years. How could he marry someone who doesn't even want kids. My initial reaction was to call Tess and curse her the f*%# out but I remembered that I'm suppose to have compassion & empathy towards others (I've been meditating for the pass few weeks and I'm learning to be more positive). I told my Fiancé about this and he also reminded me of my reasons for meditation, he said that this is probably my first test, lol.

I'm struggling with it though. First off, I can't sympathize with any woman who thinks a man is suppose to marry them because they have a kid together, I never knew she felt this way. Secondly, how dare she imply that me not wanting kids is some flaw men should be repulsed by? I feel she got it backwards: men should be repulsed by women trying to trap them by having their child. They've been broken up for 4 years, she doesn't have a right to be upset. I WANT to be sympathetic but it's eluding me.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Why do you even care? It is human nature to feel pangs when your former partner is moving on faster than you are. So she did the adult thing and vent to someone (her grandmother) who should have kept her own silence.

She didn't say anything to you because she is dealing with it. Leave her some dignity and do not say anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 07:22 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,455,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I would make the argument that she shouldn't have complained to a member of his family about her feelings, and that family member should have kept her mouth shut.

IF she feels like she has any say in his romantic relationship (barring child issues), I would consider that butting in as well.

She obviously doesn't have the maturity and feels entitled to an opinion in her exs relationships.

6 yrs together and another 4yrs since the childs birth, you're looking at a 10 yrs and enough time to form close bonds with his family.

If the grandmother hadn't opened here mouth, there wouldn't be an issue. Common sense tells you the conversation shouldn't have been repeated, unless the intention was to instigate problems.

Last edited by virgode; 05-02-2012 at 07:32 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 08:23 PM

2,419 posts, read 3,542,751 times
When did the term "baby Mama and baby Daddy" start being used? I absolutely hate those terms, it sounds just plain ridiculous! Why can't you younger generation just say the mother of my fiance's child vice versa, it sounds a little more respectable.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:27 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,920,486 times
Put yourself in her place and you will know the answer.

She is good enough to have his child and spend the rest of her life bound to that responsibility but she is not good enough to marry.

Your fiance is out having a good time, free as a bird, while she stays home with dirty diapers.

And BTW, look very carefully at how he treats the mother of his child. There's probably a lot for you to learn here.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:34 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,707,266 times
I don't think the grandmother likes the new girlfriend/OP very much and that is why she repeated the conversation. I think the way he is handling the issue of the ex's upset feelings (he laughed it off) speaks volumes about his character. (and the message is: "I have none") But OP probably thinks she's getting the "Deal of the Century" probably too desperate to get married to know the difference. He likes the idea of being able to tip around with the ex, once he's married, probably.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:42 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,965,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomlySpecific View Post
I'm trying to be sympathetic to how she feels.

My man proposed to me a month ago today. We shared the news with our family and friends but I guess we left someone out. When my Fiancé's baby mama, we'll call her Tess, dropped off their son (her mom has her son most the time and that's who normally drops him off) yesterday she noticed the ring on my finger and I shared the news with her. She said congratulations and didn't show any disdain towards hearing the news. Let me say that her and I are cordial, there's never been any drama, ever. I've always thought she was a sweet person. We've even hung out a few times.

This morning I get a call from my Fiancé's grandmother saying Tess called her very upset. She said that Tess was upset at the news of us getting married and felt that it was a slap in the face because she gave my Fiancé six years of her life and a son, how could he marry me after only three years. How could he marry someone who doesn't even want kids. My initial reaction was to call Tess and curse her the f*%# out but I remembered that I'm suppose to have compassion & empathy towards others (I've been meditating for the pass few weeks and I'm learning to be more positive). I told my Fiancé about this and he also reminded me of my reasons for meditation, he said that this is probably my first test, lol.

I'm struggling with it though. First off, I can't sympathize with any woman who thinks a man is suppose to marry them because they have a kid together, I never knew she felt this way. Secondly, how dare she imply that me not wanting kids is some flaw men should be repulsed by? I feel she got it backwards: men should be repulsed by women trying to trap them by having their child. They've been broken up for 4 years, she doesn't have a right to be upset. I WANT to be sympathetic but it's eluding me.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1. Keep your mouth shut. You will be dealing with this woman until the kid finishes his education. And likely beyond that. This is your fiance's deal, not yours.

2. I would have my doubts about any guy who didn't at least clue this woman in.

3. Is he paying child support? If he isn't, walk away. A man who won't clean up his own messes in life isn't a guy you want to be tethered to.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 PM

88,073 posts, read 83,928,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
When did the term "baby Mama and baby Daddy" start being used? I absolutely hate those terms, it sounds just plain ridiculous! Why can't you younger generation just say the mother of my fiance's child vice versa, it sounds a little more respectable.

I first started hearing it on days home sick when watching those retarded daytime shows where a) some woman has ten guys tested to see which one is the father of her child, or b) two or three women are fighting over the same loser man because there isn't much else on.

In most cases, these people's command of the English language did not exactly ring with evidence of having shown up in an institution of learning to any great degree, and they often had the peculiar trait of dropping the "s" where it usually appears at the end of the word as a possessive. Thus, the "baby's Daddy" became "baby Daddy" and it was said so often on the above-mentioned idiot shows that the portion of the general population that spends its daytime hours sitting on its ass on a couch watching this drivel picked up the vernacular of this slow-witted and promiscuous segment of the American population and embraced it as its own. In glee, and always ready to make fools of the very market that buys its print publications and watches its "entertainment" shows, the media picked up the term and ran with it.

Personally, I think all who use it should be taken out and shot, along with those who promote their visibility on the airwaves, but that may just be that I'm menopausal and cranky.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:32 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,352,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Put yourself in her place and you will know the answer.

She is good enough to have his child and spend the rest of her life bound to that responsibility but she is not good enough to marry.

Your fiance is out having a good time, free as a bird, while she stays home with dirty diapers.

And BTW, look very carefully at how he treats the mother of his child. There's probably a lot for you to learn here.
SO true

Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,946,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I first started hearing it on days home sick when watching those retarded daytime shows where a) some woman has ten guys tested to see which one is the father of her child, or b) two or three women are fighting over the same loser man because there isn't much else on.

In most cases, these people's command of the English language did not exactly ring with evidence of having shown up in an institution of learning to any great degree, and they often had the peculiar trait of dropping the "s" where it usually appears at the end of the word as a possessive. Thus, the "baby's Daddy" became "baby Daddy" and it was said so often on the above-mentioned idiot shows that the portion of the general population that spends its daytime hours sitting on its ass on a couch watching this drivel picked up the vernacular of this slow-witted and promiscuous segment of the American population and embraced it as its own. In glee, and always ready to make fools of the very market that buys its print publications and watches its "entertainment" shows, the media picked up the term and ran with it.

Personally, I think all who use it should be taken out and shot, along with those who promote their visibility on the airwaves, but that may just be that I'm menopausal and cranky.
I am soooooo with you!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 PM

578 posts, read 1,088,700 times
Anyone who refers to someone as a baby momma can't be to bright. Rather disrespectful of all parties. What do you call this person when the childs 2 toddler momma and so on ??? Dumb and annoying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships