Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Men: Would you date a woman who majored/minored in Feminist or Women's Studies?
Yes, no problem 15 41.67%
Eh, depends on whether or not she is attractive 5 13.89%
Nah, don't think I need the hassles 3 8.33%
No, and how fast can I run? 12 33.33%
Other - explain 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,273,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
No, unless that's what you want to read into it. Society still adheres to traditional roles, for the most part, though people pay lip service to being "progressive." People who deviate from this "standard" limit the pool that is available to them. Kudos to your women's studies/T.A. male friend. He found a wife. Most women would be categorically disinterested in him. There's no denying that.
Nah, he's hot, smart, and talented. Finding women was never a problem. I was actually pretty surprised he ended up committing to just one. But she's very cool, too.

Anyhow, what say you tell me more about these "traditional roles..." I'm really actually pretty curious to know what your idea of the perfect feminine woman looks like.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:30 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,537,716 times
Quote:
So, in the end, the "quest" was tiring and she turned into Betty Crocker.
I see nothing wrong with that. My own Mother had zero aspirations beyond having a family and being a stay at home Mother, and she was fantastic at it. I see absolutely no issues with a woman who prefers being at home over working, but I also understand that not all women are the same and some may prefer a career over being at home.

Personally, at this point in my life I much prefer having a career and being in school and traveling and I don't necessarily want to be tied down to a marriage, children or a house. Perhaps later in my life I'll change my mind...or maybe I'll continue working on airplanes.

Isn't it great? Women are sentient creatures who have the ability to choose their own way!

Old 04-28-2012, 09:31 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,116,756 times
Quote:
Well, I was wondering the same thing. You have the adage "it's just as easy to fall in love with a rich man as it is with a poor man" and then you have women on here who say they will "date and marry a man with an incurable STD." Isn't that pretty darn inconsistent?
No. Your take on it is irrational is all. Logic is not your friend.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:32 PM

102,067 posts, read 106,933,722 times
Quote:
So, in the end, the "quest" was tiring and she turned into Betty Crocker.
See, robert, this is what I keep telling you: there are all kinds of feminists. Some work at a career, then choose to stay home, if that's financially feasible. Some raise the kids, then when the kids are in school, they take a job. There are so many permutations, human variety is infinite, and so are the types of women who are feminists. Really, your example proves my point. It's only because you can't get your mind around the fact that not all feminists match your cartoon, that you view Friedan's life as some sort of contradiction. It's not. Try to get that through your skull.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,273,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I see nothing wrong with that. My own Mother had zero aspirations beyond having a family and being a stay at home Mother, and she was fantastic at it. I see absolutely no issues with a woman who prefers being at home over working, but I also understand that not all women are the same and some may prefer a career over being at home.
Same. My mom, too, and she's the strongest, coolest, most independent woman I know. But her preference in life was ALWAYS to stay home and raise her children and manage the household. She did this, for a great many years. She had to go back to work at one point, for financial reasons, and never really has enjoyed it...now, as a grandparent, she wishes she were watching her grandkids, primarily, versus going in to work every day. Her aspirations were always, always, always primarily on the homefront. She was damned good at it, too, and I really admire that.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:34 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,251,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Personally, at this point in my life I much prefer having a career and being in school and traveling and I don't necessarily want to be tied down to a marriage, children or a house. Perhaps later in my life I'll change my mind...or maybe I'll continue working on airplanes.
Yeah, how many women up in the air don't want to land a pilot, while joining the "Mile High Club?" Maybe at the hotel for the layover, rather than the lav?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:37 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,327,822 times
Quote:
Well, I was wondering the same thing. You have the adage "it's just as easy to fall in love with a rich man as it is with a poor man" and then you have women on here who say they will "date and marry a man with an incurable STD." Isn't that pretty darn inconsistent?

The only thing these two statements prove is that there really are ALL kinds of women in the world.

Why are all women supposed to be "consistent"??

Old 04-28-2012, 09:37 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,537,716 times
Quote:
Yeah, how many women up in the air don't want to land a pilot, while joining the "Mile High Club?" Maybe at the hotel for the layover, rather than the lav?
Actually....not many women want to 'land' a pilot. They're notoriously arrogant, they cheat at ridiculously high numbers and are never home.

For a fling? Sure. For anything long-term? No. I've been in aviation for quite some time and the vast VAST majority of women in the industry want nothing to do with pilots.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:38 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,251,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
See, robert, this is what I keep telling you: there are all kinds of feminists. Some work at a career, then choose to stay home, if that's financially feasible. Some raise the kids, then when the kids are in school, they take a job. There are so many permutations, human variety is infinite, and so are the types of women who are feminists. Really, your example proves my point. It's only because you can't get your mind around the fact that not all feminists match your cartoon, that you view Friedan's life as some sort of contradiction. It's not. Try to get that through your skull.
And what I'm saying, and what others have said, is that such self-identification tends to deflate the third leg. Equality has been here for a long time. So have matriarchal families. In the New Millenium, identifying as a feminist is off-putting. That's why I posted the question per the OP. Heck, I even came up with a curriculum, but I doubt the women of CD Relationships would nominate me for the Dean's position.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:39 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,327,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
See, robert, this is what I keep telling you: there are all kinds of feminists. Some work at a career, then choose to stay home, if that's financially feasible. Some raise the kids, then when the kids are in school, they take a job. There are so many permutations, human variety is infinite, and so are the types of women who are feminists.

Really, your example proves my point. It's only because you can't get your mind around the fact that not all feminists match your cartoon, that you view Friedan's life as some sort of contradiction. It's not. Try to get that through your skull.
Remarkable that this even needs to be stated in this day and age
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships