Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:39 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Of course. But it's much easier to want to make the ones we know and love happy. Not as true with total strangers.
Say Howdy to strangers, say "Have a Great Day" with a positive attitude.

Do a good turn daily = Boy Scout slogan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Just a thought; I find it odd that if you find happiness in making others happy--if it really fulfills you--you're a good person. Yet, if you find happiness in making your romantic partner happy, you're weak...clingy...you have no life....
Ha, I see your point there. There is truly a happy medium. It deals in the expectation factor.
Giving just for the sake of giving implies a selflessness. I am not sure how many of us really give that way. Even the good feelings we get from doing something for others is a return on the investment.

As far as giving to your partner, that is the way we are supposed to be in a healthy relationship. But if you make anyone happy at your own expense, that is where the weak factors in. If you make someone else happy in order to feel more secure in your relationship, than that is desperation. But giving because you happen to love another above yourself, or because you believe in the concept, is a good thing!

Old 04-30-2012, 01:21 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
Interesting question! I've been reading a book by the Dalai Lama and he says the best way to be happy is to make others happy. I think there's a line between making your partner happy, but not at the expense of your own happiness.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Whyte Byrd I have never ever thought of this in that manner. Huh.

I am they type of person who DOES find happiness in making other people happy, smile, etc. I also find it in making my SO happy.

I have never thought of it as making me weak or clingy but now that you have brought it up, I suppose many people do look at it that way.

Poo to them, lol.
Where would the world be if people did not want to see others happy? The world would come to a stop and society would fall apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships