Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
cry me a river...
yup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard that some women can 'turn on' the waterworks to make people feel sorry for them...I haven't personally seen it that often, because I don't hang around people like that and maybe it's rare, but I have heard about it. Obviously, it's extremely childish for a start, but furthermore, how do people fall for this crap? I'm not saying these women don't feel anything at all, but they may be so self-absorbed they really do feel sorrowful if they don't get what they want.

If my girlfriend cried over minor things all the time, I would just get annoyed by it. Heck, I find it hard to believe many women at all are like this, mostly younger women, I assume. Only a real pushover would feel their heartstrings pulled just because their girl cried, no matter what the reason. It's totally different to genuine sorrow/emotional pain which I am very moved by, or just being emotional in general in a non-manipulative way, which somebody can't help.

While crying is healthy, perhaps we should be just as adamant about teaching little girls that crying isn't the way you get what you want as little boys.
I know who falls for this "garbage". Cops. I have never gotten a ticket in my life thanks to my waterworks.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
I've heard that some women can 'turn on' the waterworks to make people feel sorry for them...I haven't personally seen it that often, because I don't hang around people like that and maybe it's rare, but I have heard about it. Obviously, it's extremely childish for a start, but furthermore, how do people fall for this crap? I'm not saying these women don't feel anything at all, but they may be so self-absorbed they really do feel sorrowful if they don't get what they want.

If my girlfriend cried over minor things all the time, I would just get annoyed by it. Heck, I find it hard to believe many women at all are like this, mostly younger women, I assume. Only a real pushover would feel their heartstrings pulled just because their girl cried, no matter what the reason. It's totally different to genuine sorrow/emotional pain which I am very moved by, or just being emotional in general in a non-manipulative way, which somebody can't help.

While crying is healthy, perhaps we should be just as adamant about teaching little girls that crying isn't the way you get what you want as little boys.
Pfft...I was taught to be rougher than the boys. Thats how you get what you want. LOL

“That’s part of the rule. Never quit. Never let them see you’re afraid. Above all — never let them see you’re hurt. Never let them see you cry. Never.” - Catwoman vol. 1 #75

Old 04-30-2012, 11:17 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
...and some women use their tears to manipulate.
And thats what the thread pertains to, but don't think for a minute a manipulative man can't do the same.

I've seen it, and two minutes later hes wearing his sharks grin.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
I have a problem with this one because I've always been one to cry easily, and I hate knowing that some people think I'm one of the "fakers." I thought it would get better as I got older but after I met my husband I cry even more. Sometimes it's tears of joy for a loved one who's had a little bit of good luck after a period of hardship or perhaps in a movie when two soulmates finally find each other. Sometimes seeing other people cry makes me cry too. Now I cry over news about wars and tragedies in other countries, people who lost a limb, cherished childhood memories...ufff...I don't know how I got to be like this!

Sometimes I do cry about things not going well for me, things that really get me frustrated. I get so upset and I cry--sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. I cry when I feel helpless and fearful. Well I know I shouldn't act that way and I know that people immediately assume "manipulation" as soon as they see tears but that's not my intent at all. It's not like I say "ok, now I'm going to cry just to get them to listen to me!" The feeling just comes and sometimes I can't get rid of it. Maybe that means there's something "wrong" with me, but I don't think it's the worst thing to do. I would like to change but I don't think I can.

I've also heard that some women can "turn on the waterworks" but I too don't know anyone who's like that personally. I know small children do that but I don't know any adults (thank God!) who do. I hear a few guys say that just any woman will fake-cry to get what they want, the same as they say any woman would claim to be raped or abused to cover for her own wrongdoings. I don't really think there are many women like that; but we all know a people who can be manipulative and they use a variety of methods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southshorelady View Post
I cry when I get really, really angry or frustrated. DH knows this and tends to ignore me. lol. I'm working on improving it. It's not manipulation, but a total lack of control over my emotions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I could've written this same post. It's exactly like that for me. Often, I simply can't control my tears. Heck, I used to cry when that Folgers Coffee commercial was on TV where the son came home from college just in time for Christmas and the mother embraced him. I cry when the American flag goes by in a parade. I just can't help it. Surprisingly, there have been times of great sadness when I was able to stifle my tears until I could step out and be alone.

I would never, ever use tears to manipulate someone.

Me, too! Me, too! Me, too! I cry at the drop of a hat! I can try to control it - although sometimes that gives me a headache. When I have a migraine and I can't control it - it seems like I cry at everything! It used to really annoy my husband because he thought I was trying to manipulate him - but then he just realized that I cry really easily. He still gets mad at me when I cry but at least he knows that I'm not doing it on purpose. I cry when I get mad, frustrated, happy, sad, etc. I wish I didn't cry so easily because it can be really embarrassing! Like being a grown woman crying at the airport because my flight got cancelled!!! Humiliating!!!

Quote:
Me either, and it makes me think how many really are like that. I think it's more of case of just feeling sorry for yourself a lot, instead of saying, 'I'm going to cry now so x will feel sorry for me'. Someone who only thinks about how they're feeling is more likely to cry if they don't get something they want rather than hearing about something sad that happened to somebody else.
So... were you just wanting to start another thread? If you don't know anyone like this and you don't have a girlfriend - why are you worried about this?

Old 04-30-2012, 11:48 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
I don't cry very often. Every now and then I'll have a bad day and just need a good cry, but normally no. There's also a difference between someone whose natural reaction is to cry and someone who cries on purpose to try to manipulate.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:21 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
who falls for this garbage?
The majority of men...?

Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
The majority of men...?
I fall for it , too, Sierra. I'm a sucker!

Old 04-30-2012, 02:28 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
To free themselves from a traffic ticket, during a court session, when they are caught cheating, to get their way, etc…yes, manipulative women can use their tears. I repeat, MANIPULATIVE women, not a good woman.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:31 PM

426 posts, read 558,902 times
do it at home but when its at the work place i wont give in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships