Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

I've heard that some women can 'turn on' the waterworks to make people feel sorry for them...I haven't personally seen it that often, because I don't hang around people like that and maybe it's rare, but I have heard about it. Obviously, it's extremely childish for a start, but furthermore, how do people fall for this crap? I'm not saying these women don't feel anything at all, but they may be so self-absorbed they really do feel sorrowful if they don't get what they want.

If my girlfriend cried over minor things all the time, I would just get annoyed by it. Heck, I find it hard to believe many women at all are like this, mostly younger women, I assume. Only a real pushover would feel their heartstrings pulled just because their girl cried, no matter what the reason. It's totally different to genuine sorrow/emotional pain which I am very moved by, or just being emotional in general in a non-manipulative way, which somebody can't help.

While crying is healthy, perhaps we should be just as adamant about teaching little girls that crying isn't the way you get what you want as little boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
G where did you get this idea? Lol
And yeah some do some don't. I only cry for important things. The birth of my child the death of my father and grandmoms. Anyone that does this is a drama queen.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:43 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times

Woops! Sorry...I'm a girl. Too busy crying to respond right now but I'll add my 2 cents later when I'm done sobbing to get my way!

Old 04-29-2012, 11:51 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post

Woops! Sorry...I'm a girl. Too busy crying to respond right now but I'll add my 2 cents later when I'm done sobbing to get my way!
lol

Old 04-30-2012, 12:27 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
There are manipulative people in this world, what else is new? Don't worry about these people, just live your life as best you can. People that cry to get what they want are not even a threat. A threat would be someone who beats you to get what they want.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:39 AM

31,001 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Hate to admit it, that one has been known to work on me.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:18 AM

830 posts, read 1,665,690 times
I have a problem with this one because I've always been one to cry easily, and I hate knowing that some people think I'm one of the "fakers." I thought it would get better as I got older but after I met my husband I cry even more. Sometimes it's tears of joy for a loved one who's had a little bit of good luck after a period of hardship or perhaps in a movie when two soulmates finally find each other. Sometimes seeing other people cry makes me cry too. Now I cry over news about wars and tragedies in other countries, people who lost a limb, cherished childhood memories...ufff...I don't know how I got to be like this!

Sometimes I do cry about things not going well for me, things that really get me frustrated. I get so upset and I cry--sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. I cry when I feel helpless and fearful. Well I know I shouldn't act that way and I know that people immediately assume "manipulation" as soon as they see tears but that's not my intent at all. It's not like I say "ok, now I'm going to cry just to get them to listen to me!" The feeling just comes and sometimes I can't get rid of it. Maybe that means there's something "wrong" with me, but I don't think it's the worst thing to do. I would like to change but I don't think I can.

I've also heard that some women can "turn on the waterworks" but I too don't know anyone who's like that personally. I know small children do that but I don't know any adults (thank God!) who do. I hear a few guys say that just any woman will fake-cry to get what they want, the same as they say any woman would claim to be raped or abused to cover for her own wrongdoings. I don't really think there are many women like that; but we all know a people who can be manipulative and they use a variety of methods.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
I have a problem with this one because I've always been one to cry easily, and I hate knowing that some people think I'm one of the "fakers."
Yes X 100!! Which is why I never cry around anyone. I do it when I'm alone. I have to really trust someone to cry around them.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:44 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I don't really choose when I cry. It happens when it happens.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 AM

460 posts, read 671,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard that some women can 'turn on' the waterworks to make people feel sorry for them...I haven't personally seen it that often, because I don't hang around people like that and maybe it's rare, but I have heard about it. Obviously, it's extremely childish for a start, but furthermore, how do people fall for this crap? I'm not saying these women don't feel anything at all, but they may be so self-absorbed they really do feel sorrowful if they don't get what they want.

If my girlfriend cried over minor things all the time, I would just get annoyed by it. Heck, I find it hard to believe many women at all are like this, mostly younger women, I assume. Only a real pushover would feel their heartstrings pulled just because their girl cried, no matter what the reason. It's totally different to genuine sorrow/emotional pain which I am very moved by, or just being emotional in general in a non-manipulative way, which somebody can't help.

While crying is healthy, perhaps we should be just as adamant about teaching little girls that crying isn't the way you get what you want as little boys.
I cry when I get really, really angry or frustrated. DH knows this and tends to ignore me. lol. I'm working on improving it. It's not manipulation, but a total lack of control over my emotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships