Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletneon View Post
oh, I know, that's why I wrote "lol" at the end of my reply.

as I get older, I am starting to wonder if some of us just aren't meant to have a long term meaningful relationship. My brother has always had wonderful luck with girls. me? I can't get a guy to stay interested in me for more than a month. my best friends can't figure out why I remain perpetually single as they seem to see some good qualities in me. i guess it's either i'm too fat, too quiet, too stubborn ... or it is just not meant for me.
Ah sorry -- I didn't catch that. It's hard to say what might be getting in your way without knowing you personally. One thing I'll say about myself is that the older I get, the more independent and particular I become -- and I have noticed this trait in some of my other older friends who are single.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 01:18 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
After some self-reflection, I realize I may be too selfish to ever be happy in a romantic long-term relationship. So I think it may be best for me not to have a long-term SO. Hopefully I can have a few flings or some FWB situations. So let's have it, do you think someone can have a happy life without a long-term romantic relationship?
Happy? I doubt it. But people adapt and kill their own desires and turn into emotional zombies. And they feel like they don't need some essential things. (like relationships and true connections). So you can fool yourself into thinking that you're ok. But you could never be truly happy. There will always be emptiness somewhere deep down if you take a moment to reflect on it.

And why do you think you're too selfish? That probably just means you did not meet a compatible match. Sometimes people appear as bad people if they are near someone who makes them look bad in comparison. But usually, it's because they are mismatched. You just need to find a good match and fall in love and then you won't see yourself as "too selfish".

Old 05-01-2012, 01:21 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Quote:
After some self-reflection, I realize I may be too selfish to ever be happy in a romantic long-term relationship. So I think it may be best for me not to have a long-term SO. Hopefully I can have a few flings or some FWB situations. So let's have it, do you think someone can have a happy life without a long-term romantic relationship?
No. Because it's not a happy life until you have something that's permanent. Otherwise it's a shallow chase of the Next New Thing. People like that pretty much wind up sad and lonely.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,128 times
Quote:
IMO most "relationships" cause no end of grief...even the good ones seem to falter and fail after a while.
If you believe this, you're hanging out with the wrong crowd or have been repeatedly burned in love. People who have a succession of failed relationships should look to themselves and ask why they're habitually choosing the wrong man or woman. Haven't you ever met any couple that is long-term relationship who are still happy?

And I totally disagree that good relationships fail after awhile. I know several couples who have been together for 30 years and are still very happy and have sex all the time. And I've known my husband since we were both Sophomores in HS and 30 years later, we're still in love and happy. Ups and downs? You bet... but the relationship has never faltered.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times
Yes you can. And don't listen to the people who think you can't because they don't know you.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:33 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
You are young. What you want today is different than what you will want 10 years from now. You will change a lot.

Right now, be what you want to be. Your disinclination toward long term relationships will probably serve you well. It will allow you to wait and mature. That's probably much better than rushing into the whole thing before you are ready.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:33 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,676,380 times
Quote:
Yeah but you have to be male.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:50 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,603,692 times
Of course its possible, I would even go as far as saying that its more probable. Ive been single for awhile and am perfectly happy and content with it. Ive had several LTR in the past, some good, some bad - pretty average in that regard, but none of them ended in a marriage. Kids arent my thing, so im not missing a whole lot there, nor do I have any need to start a family. Frankly, I sometimes wonder why there is so much pressure on people to get into marriages and long term relationships, as if it were the only way to live a fulfilling life. So occasionaly my family nagging me or people wondering out loud whats wrong with me since im single, bothers me from this perspective. With that said, I occasionaly date and am leaving all the doors open. If one day I wake up and say "it would be nice to have someone for the long haul" than ill do what i have to do. But for now, perfectly content to be single and with great plans for the future.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:55 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times
Absolutely.

I don't want an LTR, they're too confining.
I travel the world; move to different continents every few years.

I absolutely enjoy myself!

Old 05-01-2012, 02:56 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,091 times
I have been single for 20 years and although I would prefer to have a man in my life it doesn't appear to be on the horizon. I am a very happy person, happiness comes from within not from someone. If you can't find happiness when your alone I don't think your going to find it when your with someone. That being said anyone knowing a single man around 60 that loves animals and isn't a drunk or a druggie send me a DM. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships