Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:55 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Why do men feel the need to act "big" when a bigger guy comes around when a women is present.

Don't they know that women see that as a sign of weakness??

It's actually pretty irritating because I have to deal with this crap nearly everyday.

"Just cause your big.. "Why are you bringing that up."
"I can take you on.. "No you can't"
"You may have more muscle but I'm still bigger then you.."Cause your fat"
It's irritating and it makes them look extremely insecure.

Everytime single time it never fails...guys have to comment..

It's almost gay..why are you checking out another man's body in the first place?

Then they try to puff out there chest or put on a deeper voice..or get louder...or act like a douche..or try to be "extra macho"

Irritating..
Oh, if the guy doing it is the girl's SO, I think that is so cute that they want to show off for her Just imagine two tigers, circling each other growling and vying for the attentions of the female. That would be enough for the lady tiger to get er, "excited".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 04:15 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
Yeah I have seen this happen. Matter of fact I seen it last Friday Night when I went out for a happy hour.
It's irritating if I have to listen to another "I pick things up and put them down." joke I'm going to stuff the next **** mouth with protein powder.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:45 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
It's called human nature, survival of the fittest...whatever evolutional catch-phrase you choose...

"It's almost gay"? Really? People check out what they perceive to be their competition. It seems to be to be the diametrical opposite of "gay" to observe what will come between you and a potential mate. Sure, what comes from that may seem juvenile, or silly, but it certainly does not spring from wanting this "big dude" sexually.

Personally, I think some of the outcomes of this "puffing" are quite humorous, but by and large, it's just our nature coming into play. Perhaps if gender identities had not been so screwed up over the past 40 or so years, we could really see this for what it is. Unfortunately though, this is what society has dictated that our male population do, because our society has really been failing in teaching our males how really to be male.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:51 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
It's called human nature, survival of the fittest...whatever evolutional catch-phrase you choose...

"It's almost gay"? Really? People check out what they perceive to be their competition. It seems to be to be the diametrical opposite of "gay" to observe what will come between you and a potential mate. Sure, what comes from that may seem juvenile, or silly, but it certainly does not spring from wanting this "big dude" sexually.

Personally, I think some of the outcomes of this "puffing" are quite humorous, but by and large, it's just our nature coming into play. Perhaps if gender identities had not been so screwed up over the past 40 or so years, we could really see this for what it is. Unfortunately though, this is what society has dictated that our male population do, because our society has really been failing in teaching our males how really to be male.
Just admit it; You want dudes to fight over you.

Another thing is that this so called chest thumping can be downright dangerous. One of my brother's friends was killed over this crap because some girl thought he disrespected her and got her BF on him. Instead of handling it like mature adults and just letting it go, the BF basically shot the guy over some food at a party.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:15 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
out of control egos

Old 05-04-2012, 06:17 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Just admit it; You want dudes to fight over you.
Yup, that's it. How in the world could I have not seen it that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Another thing is that this so called chest thumping can be downright dangerous. One of my brother's friends was killed over this crap because some girl thought he disrespected her and got her BF on him. Instead of handling it like mature adults and just letting it go, the BF basically shot the guy over some food at a party.
And, again, because many people under the age of 40 are completely confused about what they should do "as a man" or "as a woman", unfortunate things like this happen. Males of Generation X and Y, by and large, have NO clue as to what it means to "be a man", so senseless things like this happen FAR too much.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:25 PM

810 posts, read 1,807,707 times
What the hell? People do this? Granted, I try to walk with good posture and confidence, but doing that?

Where do people do this? At bars? I don't really go to bars or clubs so I don't see anything like that going on. And honestly, if guys do this do women really find that attractive?

I have had friends get into way too many stupid fights or stupid arguments because of a girl, or alcohol, or both. This is why I find bars to be terrible places to meet women. I would much rather use my personality and brain rather than trying to "dominate" everyone else at the bar by puffing my chest like a damn peacock.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
What the hell? People do this? Granted, I try to walk with good posture and confidence, but doing that?

Where do people do this? At bars? I don't really go to bars or clubs so I don't see anything like that going on. And honestly, if guys do this do women really find that attractive?

I have had friends get into way too many stupid fights or stupid arguments because of a girl, or alcohol, or both. This is why I find bars to be terrible places to meet women. I would much rather use my personality and brain rather than trying to "dominate" everyone else at the bar by puffing my chest like a damn peacock.
Yep it happens to me nearly all the time.

A few days ago a co -worker said he could take me on.

My last boss at my job told me he isn't scared of me in front of a female co-worker.

When I went to hang out with my former room mates my room mate told me he was bigger then me but he's still weaker and by bigger he's fat in front of our female room mates...

One of my co -workers made the infamous pick things up and put things down in front of a female co -worker

When I went to hang out with my friend his sister's boyfriend came over and he kept commenting on my height....too the point where there was tension in the air...

the list goes on and on...

It's almost as irritating as being asked why don't you play football or do you play football question all the time...

Old 05-05-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Yep it happens to me nearly all the time.

A few days ago a co -worker said he could take me on.

My last boss at my job told me he isn't scared of me in front of a female co-worker.

When I went to hang out with my former room mates my room mate told me he was bigger then me but he's still weaker and by bigger he's fat in front of our female room mates...

One of my co -workers made the infamous pick things up and put things down in front of a female co -worker

When I went to hang out with my friend his sister's boyfriend came over and he kept commenting on my height....too the point where there was tension in the air...

the list goes on and on...

It's almost as irritating as being asked why don't you play football or do you play football question all the time...
Now that's a question I get a lot as well.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Yup, that's it. How in the world could I have not seen it that way?

And, again, because many people under the age of 40 are completely confused about what they should do "as a man" or "as a woman", unfortunate things like this happen. Males of Generation X and Y, by and large, have NO clue as to what it means to "be a man", so senseless things like this happen FAR too much.
A better idea would be not to do the whole 'puffing' thing to begin with. The OP is right, it makes those guys look stupid and insecure. If someone did that to me, I'd probably laugh in their face and walk away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships