Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:46 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
What is owling? Planking? I've never heard of those stuff before. I think it's just funny (not really) how people don't say anything about the whole kitchen spice thing until someone really dies from it.
go to youtube and search owling and planking to see for yourself. It is something much better explained with visuals than words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 08:50 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Teenagers do stupid things in all generations. And they all think they are the first generation to do things.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:12 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
I think its an offshoot of the laziness of the people in this age group, and having everything given to them. I got my college degree in 4 years. Worked different jobs in HS, worked all through college. At one point I had 4 different jobs at the same time during summer break. Stayed at home and went to JC to save money and work. Purchased my car largely with my own earnings, paid my own gas and repairs. Graduated and got a job, got married and purchased my first house when I was 24, was promoted at 25, transfered to a new city and bought my second house. Nobody thought this was odd at the time. This is what "normal" people did.

Sorry to disagree, but every generation doesn't sit around and get drunk and do stupid stuff. Yes we had some drunken Sat. Fri. and sometimes even Wed. night, but by the time we were graduated, it was time to knock off the nonsense and get busy, because living at home was not an option. No self respecting guy in my day wanted to go and live with mommy and daddy again and have them pay our bills. These people are in their mid 20's and their still acting like children.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:19 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I think its an offshoot of the laziness of the people in this age group, and having everything given to them. I got my college degree in 4 years. Worked different jobs in HS, worked all through college. At one point I had 4 different jobs at the same time during summer break. Stayed at home and went to JC to save money and work. Purchased my car largely with my own earnings, paid my own gas and repairs. Graduated and got a job, got married and purchased my first house when I was 24, was promoted at 25, transfered to a new city and bought my second house. Nobody thought this was odd at the time. This is what "normal" people did.
Wow, you sound really righteous! I bet your poo doesn't even stink!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:29 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
Quote:

Sorry to disagree, but every generation doesn't sit around and get drunk and do stupid stuff. Yes we had some drunken Sat. Fri. and sometimes even Wed. night, but by the time we were graduated, it was time to knock off the nonsense and get busy, because living at home was not an option. No self respecting guy in my day wanted to go and live with mommy and daddy again and have them pay our bills. These people are in their mid 20's and their still acting like children.
And how old are you now?

I worked since I was 13. Got decent grades in high school while working 25-35 hour weeks at a local grocery store. Had $3,500 saved up when I graduated HS. My parents didn't pay for anything except my car which had 168K miles on it. I paid insurance, gas, and even paid for my own food/toothpaste/clothing, everything except bills and mortgage. I graduate college and got a good job and am now helping my mom pay her bills. I am 23 with a new car and an apartment living in the city. Your statement about "my generation" being lazy is misguided. SOME people are lazy, some aren't. It has nothing to do with an entire generation. In fact, if you go over to the Work and Employment forum you will see that quite a lot of people agree that "my generation" is actually undervalued and they feel bad that we have been dealt such a difficult hand in the job market.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:32 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:

Yes, because in this day and age it's still easy to do all that in today's economic climate.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Yes, because in this day and age it's still easy to do all that in today's economic climate.
Exactly, you just buy a house and climb the property ladder. POOF it's just that easy.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:

NEWSFLASH, most of us don't WANT to live with parents but a number have no choice if they want to keep up habits like eating and having a shower every day.

Homeownership by 25? Most of us are having enough trouble just getting jobs that pay enough to pay RENT. I'm sick of people thinking our generation is lazy when the reality is we have very limited means of getting moving with a career.

BTW, I'm 23 have my own place and car (that I paid off mostly myself) and a FT job (albeit one I may be laid off from soon.)

Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 AM

331 posts, read 603,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
Its good that this is happening. It means we can separate the positives and negatives in the gene pool. If you want a husband or wife, your can identify a good one easier. Make sense?

This may be all too true!! LOL

Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
Quote:

well no, the main difference is that your generation did not have the internet and other communication technology. if someone in a neighboring town made up some dumb activity like planking, it wouldn't be all over the internet for all to see. other minor differences include that fact that people get married later (28 is avg) and JCs/CCs are where you go when you can't get into anywhere better.

Last edited by brocco; 05-04-2012 at 10:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships