Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 08:48 AM

218 posts, read 506,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The problem with addiction isn't that it's as simple as you say.

Addiction is often about self-medication, underlaying depression. It's not really as easy as telling an alcoholic that they're just selfish and need to think of others and voila! they will no longer have that craving.
I really don't think that food addiction is nearly as bad as alcoholism. Giving up unhealthy food is much, much easier than giving up alcohol.

Quote:
What about the childhood of the chubby? Maybe food became associated with parental love and approval at some point. There are mothers who reward a young child with food, especially sugary high fat treats.
I think most people experienced that. Doesn't mean you have to be addicted. You reach a point in your life when you realize you have to eat healthy.
Quote:
In many ways it's more difficult than alcoholism or other addiction because an alcoholic can completely give up alcohol but no one can completely give up food.
No, but you can give up junk food and sweets and stop eating for recreational purposes.

Quote:
I think your post shows the problem in the health care field also. It's not longer about compassion, or people who care about others or try to understand them, it's about people who want the good money, the jobs and who despise and resent the patients.
The problem is that too much sympathy for fat people. When 65% of the population in America is either obese or overweight, fat people SHOULD be made fun of and discriminated against as they are not only harming themselves but society as a whole. Why are gays made fund of in high school but girls with beer bellies are not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 08:53 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
I really don't think that food addiction is nearly as bad as alcoholism. Giving up unhealthy food is much, much easier than giving up alcohol.

I think most people experienced that. Doesn't mean you have to be addicted. You reach a point in your life when you realize you have to eat healthy.

No, but you can give up junk food and sweets and stop eating for recreational purposes.

The problem is that too much sympathy for fat people. When 65% of the population in America is either obese or overweight, fat people SHOULD be made fun of and discriminated against as they are not only harming themselves but society as a whole. Why are gays made fund of in high school but girls with beer bellies are not?
When has totally shaming people worked in history? Has targeting gay folks made them straight?

I'm sorry if despite my overweight body I still wanted to be treated as a human being. Get over it.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:10 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:

Fat people are made fun of already, sheesh! You need to grow up.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:18 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Find a new, thin GF. Obviously that is the answer....this GF is not acceptable to you because of her weight...accept her as she is....or move on. You can't change others. Only yourself.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:18 AM

218 posts, read 506,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
When has totally shaming people worked in history? Has targeting gay folks made them straight?
Gay folks CAN'T become straight. Homosexuality isn't caused by laziness.
Quote:
I'm sorry if despite my overweight body I still wanted to be treated as a human being. Get over it.
I'm sorry if I don't want to pay more for healthcare because of your laziness.

I'm sorry if I don't want food prices to go up because you need to eat twice as much as I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Fat people are made fun of already, sheesh! You need to grow up.
Only VERY fat people, not the overweight.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:56 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
I'm sorry if I don't want to pay more for healthcare because of your laziness.

I'm sorry if I don't want food prices to go up because you need to eat twice as much as I do.
Yeah I work 40 hours a week and am in school. I also try to do a 30 min walk at least 3x a week. Yeah lazy guy here.

The only reason food prices are going up are due to weather patterns affecting crop yield and the price of gas rising which makes transportation more expensive. I'm not taking food out of anyone's mouth.

By the way, when you find your (hopefully) human heart, put it back where it belongs and shut up.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:10 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
OP, she doesn't meet your standards, and may not feel the motivation to lose weight for her own benefit. That's her choice, and of course it's your choice to leave if nothing changes. I didn't read everything here, so don't know if she was already overweight when you started dating, or gained after. If she already was, then you can only blame yourself for dating her, and cannot expect her to change.

I've often noticed that the surest, most reliable and effective way to encourage someone to lose weight is to break up with them. It's almost certain they'll find the motivation to lose weight in order to attract someone new! Why they won't make efforts to stay healthy to KEEP a good relationship (assuming it is, otherwise), but will to find a new one, is one of those mysteries and absurdities of human behavior.

It may seem that way, but often people lose weight after a break-up or divorce simply because their lives and lifestyles change. They're no longer cooking big meals, having "family dinners" that encourage overeating, and so on. A lot of women would be happy with soup and a salad for dinner. Not so men. Well, if you're a bride, my greatest piece of advice for you is: Don't eat like your husband unless you want to weigh what he weighs.

Also, bad marriages and relationships entail a certain amount of stress, and stress contributes to overeating and not getting enough sleep, both of which cause weight gain. Removing the stressor and returning to your previous, happier state will work wonders for your waistline. Not only did I lose more than 20 pound without even trying after my ex moved out, my blood pressure dropped 15 points in less than two weeks. All of this, without working out or watching what I ate. It just happened.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:11 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,164,319 times
Not all Lose weight after break ups - Some gain weight.. Just wanted to add that..

Old 05-05-2012, 01:20 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
So I was wondering what's the best way to approach this issue. Before anyone jumps on my case about how shallow I am, please note my standards of weight for women are the same standards I hold to myself. That standard is a question: "What would a doctor have to say about your weight?" While I think asking for bigger boobs, or for better legs, etc IS shallow, I don't feel like wanting a healthy and medically good weight (in proportion to height) in a partner is too much to ask, especially when the partner holds himself to the same standards.

What's your thoughts on this? I'm not asking her to become super model slim, I'm asking her to go from medically overweight, to medically normal. I don't think that's a shallow request.
Give her Oxandrolone pills but tell her they are "vitamins".

Just kidding....lol

Old 05-05-2012, 01:24 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
Not all Lose weight after break ups - Some gain weight.. Just wanted to add that..
Yea, that's true. Being that I'm an athlete, my X girl stayed in shape because she wanted to look good as me when naked. We would shop at Trader Joes or Whole Foods looking like the young healthy couple that we were!

But when we broke up..... Wow, she went downhill fast (lost discipline, drinking) at only the age of 24 to the point where I hardly even recognize her after about 30lbs weight gain. And sadly her new BF does not even care...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships