Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:22 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times

Advertisements

Invite her to do something physical with you on a weekly basis...maybe a class that you have to register or sign up for. That will at least set some kind of regular routine.

How about nutrition? What's her diet like and what is your like? Maybe get a book (Eat to Live is a good one) and read it. Tell her you are trying to improve your diet for health reasons, share what you've read. If she's got medical issues there's a lot of great information in that book and there are others like it out there as well.

When I get serious about my diet, I notice it rubs off on my husband and vice versa. Same for exercise...I've got a gym membership and I've been going everyday to lift. So now he's doing p90x everday at home.

Maybe by changing your lifestyle, hers will as well. You said you like to lift at 9pm...so continue to do that. She might feel left out of your life and decide to join you.

I wouldn't say "hey let's get rid of those chubs" though. LOL

You are only dating her. My husband can say that to me and my kids can jiggle my arm fat without the fear of getting my fist in their face. I'm not sure a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship makes that a safe thing to do though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:35 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,513 times
My suggestion is either tell her how you feel and risk losing her, or just accept it.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:00 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,130 times
Although I could see how this could be frawned upon OP but why would the man be wrong for asking his mate to become healthy(ier). Men should not be lashed for asking\wanting thier mate to be more fit,healthier,or toned. Four subjects that evoke emotion and discontent oddly, two belong to women!! Race,a Women's age,Politics, a Women's weight.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Although I could see how this could be frawned upon OP but why would the man be wrong for asking his mate to become healthy(ier). Men should not be lashed for asking\wanting thier mate to be more fit,healthier,or toned. Four subjects that evoke emotion and discontent oddly, two belong to women!! Race,a Women's age,Politics, a Women's weight.
If he was doing it for her benefit, then it would be fine.

But, he's plainly showed that it's for his own vanity and sake. It wasn't until chided for being childish that he even brought up doing it for her health.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:04 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
It's not that he's necessarily wrong, it's more that his intent, though framed in "I want her to be healthier" language seems, on further questioning, to be more like "I think she's gross." Nobody wants to be with someone who isn't attracted to them. Weight and appearance is a touchy subject for most women, so treading lightly and coming from a sincere place of care is necessary.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:08 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
If he was doing it for her benefit, then it would be fine.

But, he's plainly showed that it's for his own vanity and sake. It wasn't until chided for being childish that he even brought up doing it for her health.
You are incorrect.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:08 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,719 times
Women can be quite sensitive when it comes to aging, their weight, their size, etc. So try to just bring it out in a nice peaceful way.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:12 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,562 times
He doesn't have to bring anything up to her there, is no treading lightly or conversation that needs to be had. Just keep doing what your doing and keep your life active, if she wants to be with you she will step up to the plate, if not, she will fall by the wayside.

You dont need to tiptoe around an uncomfortable conversation.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:16 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
OP's situation isn't unlike the poster from last week who married a woman with a low sex drive and now complains that he's not getting enough sex. If the OP is into health and fitness and appearance and that is important to him, and he's dating a woman who was overweight when they met and who's not into those things at all, then, as Dan Savage says, DTMFA. (Not that she's a MF, it's just obvious that they're not compatible.)

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 05-04-2012 at 10:38 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 10:18 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
So I was wondering what's the best way to approach this issue. Before anyone jumps on my case about how shallow I am, please note my standards of weight for women are the same standards I hold to myself. That standard is a question: "What would a doctor have to say about your weight?" While I think asking for bigger boobs, or for better legs, etc IS shallow, I don't feel like wanting a healthy and medically good weight (in proportion to height) in a partner is too much to ask, especially when the partner holds himself to the same standards.

What's your thoughts on this? I'm not asking her to become super model slim, I'm asking her to go from medically overweight, to medically normal. I don't think that's a shallow request.
Was she "medically overweight" when you met? If so, why did you go for it if this is obviously a concern for you?

My thoughts are that her weight is none of your business. She is not glued to you and has no obligation to you to be anything else than what she is. I can understand being concerned for health reasons, I've been there. But in the end there is nothing you can do outside of gentle, passionate, and considerate suggestions.

You don't have to like everything about the other person, but you do have to accept him/her as they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Good luck with this...
Yeah....I have a feeling it is not going to end in the OPs "favor".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships