Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Absolutely! Hanging out with my male friends, they would make flippant comments here and there if they saw a bigger gal with a smaller man, or a shorter man with a taller woman. In fact, I brought a friend of mine to a work party (I'm 6'1, he's 5'5) and we ended up leaving early because of the remarks being made.

I think actresses are 'taller' than usual because of camera angles, it would be much harder to get a man and woman into an intimate shot if he's a foot taller than her.

Perhaps I've just had bad luck, but I've been involved in male only professions most of my life (auto mechanics, aircraft mechanics) so I'm around far more men than I am women, and they always end up treating me like 'one of the guys'. That usually means letting their guard down and saying things around me that they would NEVER say in front of other women. I had more than one guy I was working with tell me I'd be really hot if I were shorter, and that no guy in their right mind would date a woman as tall as I am.

I think as people get older (ie out of their teens/20s) they are a little less rigid in their preferences, especially the ones that aren't that important. I find as I get older (I'm 28 now) that men are far more receptive to me regardless of my height. You couldn't pay me enough to go back to my early 20s!
I don't want to make any stereotypes about mechanics - but I have found that they like most um, tradespeople, they tend to hold more conservative views than say the college educated population.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't want to make any stereotypes about mechanics - but I have found that they like most um, tradespeople, they tend to hold more conservative views than say the college educated population.
Absolutely, but most of the mechanics I worked with (especially in aviation) held advanced degrees.

Regardless, this attitude was pretty consistent over all the guys I've been around, regardless of profession or education.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Absolutely, but most of the mechanics I worked with (especially in aviation) held advanced degrees.

Regardless, this attitude was pretty consistent over all the guys I've been around, regardless of profession or education.
Interesting...like related to my thread about 'mainstream people'. I hang out with people who are generally not very mainstream in various ways, and most of the guys would have no problem dating a taller woman, or an older woman.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:51 PM

688 posts, read 897,477 times
Quote:
Absolutely! Hanging out with my male friends, they would make flippant comments here and there if they saw a bigger gal with a smaller man, or a shorter man with a taller woman. In fact, I brought a friend of mine to a work party (I'm 6'1, he's 5'5) and we ended up leaving early because of the remarks being made.

I think actresses are 'taller' than usual because of camera angles, it would be much harder to get a man and woman into an intimate shot if he's a foot taller than her.

Perhaps I've just had bad luck, but I've been involved in male only professions most of my life (auto mechanics, aircraft mechanics) so I'm around far more men than I am women, and they always end up treating me like 'one of the guys'. That usually means letting their guard down and saying things around me that they would NEVER say in front of other women. I had more than one guy I was working with tell me I'd be really hot if I were shorter, and that no guy in their right mind would date a woman as tall as I am.

I think as people get older (ie out of their teens/20s) they are a little less rigid in their preferences, especially the ones that aren't that important. I find as I get older (I'm 28 now) that men are far more receptive to me regardless of my height. You couldn't pay me enough to go back to my early 20s!
That's a fact. I used to be pretty shallow in my younger days (late teens/very early 20's). With time, I realized that it's foolish to be so. People can't help their physical features and said features don't take away from the person that they are.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post
That's a fact. I used to be pretty shallow in my younger days (late teens/very early 20's). With time, I realized that it's foolish to be so. People can't help their physical features and said features don't take away from the person that they are.
No, over time the physical seems to almost fade into the background, as their person shines through...

Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
No, over time the physical seems to almost fade into the background, as their person shines through...
You're correct, but I'm only thirty. There are plenty of beautiful women in my age group. The physical hasn't faded at all. I just realize that physical beauty isn't everything.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post
You're correct, but I'm only thirty. There are plenty of beautiful women in my age group. The physical hasn't faded at all. I just realize that physical beauty isn't everything.
No I mean, beautiful or not, the beauty in their soul shines through.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
No I mean, beautiful or not, the beauty in their soul shines through.
I know, I was agreeing. But, you can't really see the beauty on the inside if you're not even giving them the opportunity to show you; as I used to do. (that's what I was getting at)

Old 05-07-2012, 11:12 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
From what I see no. I see alot of women who date guys that are a similar height to them, but then again this is NYC where men tend to be more shorter than suburban and country guys. Thank goodness for me Im well over six feet.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
From what I see no. I see alot of women who date guys that are a similar height to them, but then again this is NYC where men tend to be more shorter than suburban and country guys. Thank goodness for me Im well over six feet.
I notice the average height in LA and NY is probably a bit lower than the national average, due to it's diverse population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships