Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
Yes 17 60.71%
No 11 39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:41 AM

224 posts, read 828,361 times

Advertisements

Think it just depends on the age of the men. Young to age 40 men seem to have little empathy. But I find a number of older male friends are very empathetic, to a point of course, but they do care. They won't listen to whining for hours like a woman will, but what I notice is the older guys hear your concerns and like they were raised to do they want to take some sort of action to fix the situation for you. That's been my experience at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 08:11 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Empathy levels vary by individual. Gender has nothing to do with it. I really hate saying that "men are more ____" or "women are more _____." These are all just generalizations and do more to impede mutual understanding/equality than foster it by reducing the complex nature of individuals to blanket statements about groups that are way way way way too big to lump all of them together.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:21 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Empathy levels vary by individual. Gender has nothing to do with it. I really hate saying that "men are more ____" or "women are more _____." These are all just generalizations and do more to impede mutual understanding/equality than foster it by reducing the complex nature of individuals to blanket statements about groups that are way way way way too big to lump all of them together.
^^^ THIS.

I've known a lot of vicious, shallow, callous women and a lot of men who are more compassionate, better with small and large animals, and children. Age has nothing to do with my experiences, either - most older men I know are gentle, unreserved and affectionate pussycats compared to their very bitter, perpetually angry, jealous and selfish female counterparts.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Depends on the hormones.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:15 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Knowing we are all yin and yang, 50% man 50% woman, I voted no.

Mainly because I'm in the health care field, working with lots of women and male nurses everyday, and I see no difference whatsoever!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:23 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Depends on the hormones.
Hahaha! This is so true!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:27 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
It seems like women actually care what someones day was like or if they are having personal problems, unlike men who just pretend to. True or false? I was just listening to the radio and someone pointed this out, just curious if u guys agree or not. Thx
True. Men just pretend to care about other men and what they do- I just pretend to listen- and in my mind all I can say is "You are boring me to death with all your self centered talk"---It might be that when a man reports to another on his doings that day...the listener knows that the guy really does not give a damn about them- so why care about the other guy? Most men listen politely and that's it. Woman show more empathy because they are curious about looking out of the eyes of another.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:30 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Of course women are more empathetic than men.

But they can only put up with our BS for so long...so don't push the "poor me" game.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Having read too many true crime books, when it comes to criminal justice matters, it's not surprising to me that women judges hand out stiffer sentences than men. Yoohoo! Compassion/emphathy where art thou?

There was black male defendant once facing a female judge, and as his shoulders sagged he said: Just my luck! A female judge! Death Row here I go!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:41 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Having read too many true crime books, when it comes to criminal justice matters, it's not surprising to me that women judges hand out stiffer sentences than men. Yoohoo! Compassion/emphathy where art thou?

There was black male defendant once facing a female judge, and as his shoulders sagged he said: Just my luck! A female judge! Death Row here I go!
Women are ruthless in those types of professions, I'll admit. But in general, your my female friends are going to be more willing and helpful to talk to me about something that bothers me over my bros who will just brush it off and say "dude chill, suck it up."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships