Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
Yes 17 60.71%
No 11 39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 02:06 AM

744 posts, read 812,221 times

Advertisements

It seems like women actually care what someones day was like or if they are having personal problems, unlike men who just pretend to. True or false? I was just listening to the radio and someone pointed this out, just curious if u guys agree or not. Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 02:12 AM

52,285 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Don't know how old your are...... but it seems like guys in their early 20's... I don't know how to explain it... they seem to be more at ease with their "feelings"..... maybe I'm wrong... IDK... but my generation... (Early 40's) were still kind of stuck in the be macho... don't show and tendernesses, or weakness phase...

Working on it..... not as bad as our parents... but stil....

Old 05-20-2012, 02:23 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,982,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
It seems like women actually care what someones day was like or if they are having personal problems, unlike men who just pretend to. True or false? I was just listening to the radio and someone pointed this out, just curious if u guys agree or not. Thx
Women may be more empathetic. It wouldn't surprise me. It seems like something that would be needed considering their role in raising children. But what you're describing might be more along the lines of "compassion". I'm not sure. Words like that get me confused and I don't have a good grasp on them.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:42 AM

1,329 posts, read 832,605 times
Women are a bit more sensitive to touch and pain due to estrogen... but I'm not sure they have more overall empathy than anybody else . But its a societal expectation that women are naturally nurturing, even though many really are not. Its also not true that men can't be nuturing or compassionate.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:51 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,147,014 times
Neurologically, I doubt it. As far as their socialization and society's expectations for them are concerned, probably.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:52 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
I remember reading an article some years ago that tested something like this. Women and men were shown the same series of pictures of a woman's face. The woman's face was slowly becoming sadder and sadder until at the end she was obviously sobbing and shedding tears. By the third or fourth photo, most women were beginning to say things like, "This woman is upset about something". For the men, however, they didn't not see that anything was wrong until the last two or three pictures when the woman was obviously crying. They just could not read the facial expressions.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:07 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
No. At least, not by a wide margin. They just display it more openly or put on a better show.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:42 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
From what I have read and observed, women do have a keener skill that we men. Each gender has its strength and this one seems to side with the women.
Now, a disclaimer. There always someone out there that likes to argue for the sake of arguing. I am not saying ALL women are more empathic than men. There is a spectrum along the bell curve and to me the majority they have the edge and men are included somewhere there. Take care.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:28 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
They might be better attuned to read emotion, but in my experience, they are no more or less compassionate than men on average. Men are just more undemonstrative.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,201,463 times
Its the only benefit of having a female boss in my opinion. They tend to be far more understanding of medical problems, health concerns, and usage of sick time.

However they also, in my experience, are more likely to be technically deficient, catty and backstabbing, be members of elaborate office political machines, and rely on "group think".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships