Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 11:38 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,229,776 times

Advertisements

Every woman has their preference. I have met women who thought my biceps and big arms were a huge turnoff, but then again I have met a woman who was turned on by back muscles, particularly lat's.

Each has their own tastes. The weightlifter look has given way in recent years to the hipster no tone look.

There really is someone for everyone. If you are concerned women worry about your muscles (you aren't that big at all), then wear clothes that don't emphasize them.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:11 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,638,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholic6303 View Post
I've had numerous people tell me that I don't seem very approachable. My best bud says I look "too masculine" and women are intimidated by me. I've had women tell me that I don't seem too approachable even though I try and smile. I'm not the biggest guy in the world, 5'11, 205 about 9% bodyfat, but not the smallest. My sister says that the veins in my biceps are a big turnoff too?

What can I do to seem more approachable to women? I try and smile, be friendly and wear "softer" color clothes... are women intimidated by decent looking/fit muscular guys?
don't ever give up what makes you happy to please other people. That is interesting, too masculine? But if you are famous then it is ok, who knows what women like. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 PM

22,413 posts, read 29,556,866 times
No way!! I was working out today and watching a guy on the treadmill above me (2 story gym) He was very toned and muscular and sweaty and shiny and YUMMMMM...It took every ounce of my will power not to go up there and be like Hi You're hottttttt

I love good gym eye candy!!!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:02 PM

810 posts, read 1,811,222 times
I think it also depends on how said muscular guy presents himself. As someone who was in bodybuilding and weight training for a long time, I have seen examples first-hands of muscular guys who act like the cliche "roided douchebag," and others who are still laid back and relaxed.

For example: I know a guy who is just completely jacked. He competed in a couple contests, and I think he does modeling work on the side. However, on his facebook profile it seems like everything he posts about is about his diet or his training, and every picture he posts is of him shirtless and/or flexing. There are no pictures of him having fun, goofing off with friends or seemingly having a good time; all of those pictures are basically for him to show off. I mean, it's great that he looks like that and I know he worked hard, but that's a little bit too self-obsessive. I know he does it because he is trying to get women's attention, but ironically the majority of people who like and comment on his pictures are other guys. Most women don't want a guy who is that self-obsessed with himself, no matter what he looks like. On the other hand, I know built guys who are relaxed and aren't obsessed with themselves. They are far more successful with women than the egotists.

Another thing that I found with some of my friends is that they post memes on facebook asking why women like the skinny" hipster guys instead of the huge jacked dudes. In the meme, it usually asks "what happened to women liking real men?" Uh, sorry, but being jacked and huge doesn't make you a "real" mam, and who cares if a woman like a skinny guy? Women have all kinds of different tastes, and liking skinny guys doesn't make her weird or "not appreciative of "real" men. Don't think that you have to be big and ripped to be "real." It's that kind of attitude that honestly is such a turnoff for me in getting involved in the fitness industry.

Oh, and about the photoshoot of that bodybuilder doing shoulder presses. He doesn't look intimidating, but rather I think working out shirtless (in public) is kind of douchey. If you do that in private in a home gym, then more power to you, but no need to be that much of a showoff in a public gym, that is if they even allow you to work out shirtless.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:05 PM

22,413 posts, read 29,556,866 times
Ok Gats-with all this talk of you being so fit...Where's the pics to back it up???

Old 07-09-2012, 01:48 PM

31,174 posts, read 22,209,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Every woman has their preference. I have met women who thought my biceps and big arms were a huge turnoff, but then again I have met a woman who was turned on by back muscles, particularly lat's.

Each has their own tastes. The weightlifter look has given way in recent years to the hipster no tone look.

There really is someone for everyone. If you are concerned women worry about your muscles (you aren't that big at all), then wear clothes that don't emphasize them.

"Every woman has their preference."
Thats for sure.
If you look at the //www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...body-type.html thread it looks like the woman that post don't care for body builders specifically. In reality, I see enough women who check out a buff man I think otherwise. Hell look at the woman swooning over the Magic Mike Movie

Old 07-09-2012, 02:31 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,728,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
The people who say bad things about muscular people are just people who are too lazy to get in shape. "I'm out of shape, so I'll feel better about myself by talking crap about people who actually spend time in the gym"
This^^^

Old 07-09-2012, 02:50 PM

545 posts, read 910,062 times
I'm not intimidated by muscular men, just not attracted to muscle bound guys. Tone and athletic, skinny and even a teeny bit of pudge work well though.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,852 times
I think they key to your question is the attractiveness of women who approach you. You have a social value. like it or not. it includes many aspects of you. it includes your looks, your personality, your smile,your race, your occupation, your accent, your style... too many things to list.
but social value for women in this country is determined slightly different. all of the above factors are important but weighted differently. In America, beauty is weighted more heavily when determining social value of women. and fitness plays a large role in the beauty of a woman (think swimsuit competition). many will argue that some men love overweight women... but the majority of us men would prefer women of "healthy weight" that's a BMI below 25 for those not in the know.

I think what you are experiencing is a demographic shift. 35% of all Americans are now obese... that's a BMI of over 30. nearly 60% are over weight with BMIs over 25. This shift in obesity has a greater impact on the desirability of women due to the way we calculate social value for women( we weigh beauty and by extension fitness more heavily in women's social value) yes men are becomming more overweight just as fast as women. but it is unfortunately for you weighted less heavily for men on the social market place.

So I think you are actually attracting exactly the women you should be attracting... it just so happens they are likely to be less desirable due to the obesity epidemic. The way to remedy this is to travel. not all countries are affected by this epidemic. Or you could always continue to look for water in a desert.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:54 AM

7,453 posts, read 13,449,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post

One of the girls I've been seeing recently, is turned on by my back muscles. Particulary lats, traps and upper back.
The first time she saw me in that way was when we were swimming.

We went away and she kept saying "you are so muscular, esp in the back" "do you realise how well defined your back muscles are".
Havn't had much to do with her for awhile (different part of the world). But its a turn on for me, to know she likes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.