Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 01:43 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,681,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
The difference is, women seem to take it to the extreme with their idea of thin. Seriously, you have some women who seem to think men want them to be 5'9 110lbs and be a size -2. I'm still trying to figure out where they got that idea.
Probably from me. I think that 110 at 5'9" is too thin, but 110 at 5'2" looks great. Size 2's rock. (So do other sizes though... a woman can look fabulous at 5'6" and 160 lbs... or she can look like a blob, lots of variation in the sizes and shapes women come in.)

Old 02-02-2013, 01:50 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,712,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholic6303 View Post
I've had numerous people tell me that I don't seem very approachable. My best bud says I look "too masculine" and women are intimidated by me. I've had women tell me that I don't seem too approachable even though I try and smile. I'm not the biggest guy in the world, 5'11, 205 about 9% bodyfat, but not the smallest. My sister says that the veins in my biceps are a big turnoff too?

What can I do to seem more approachable to women? I try and smile, be friendly and wear "softer" color clothes... are women intimidated by decent looking/fit muscular guys?
Watch "Beauty and the Beast".

Old 11-10-2017, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 841 times
If I saw someone who took good care of them selves, met and exceeded their goals in fitness, I would be very happy to be their friend, it shows they have self respect, maybe they have some respect for other people too, being lazy makes me think that people won’t have enough respect for me

Old 11-10-2017, 05:56 PM

11,104 posts, read 6,045,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahsoo View Post
If I saw someone who took good care of them selves, met and exceeded their goals in fitness, I would be very happy to be their friend, it shows they have self respect, maybe they have some respect for other people too, being lazy makes me think that people won’t have enough respect for me
Hi there Yeahsoo. Your first post! You did notice this is an old thread? One I've never seen before. I only read the first few posts and found it rather interesting. Hopefully the discussion will be revived.

Well, I've always taken care of myself and I think it has paid off. I'm not huge and muscular - rather, I am slim, trim and lean. I do get told I should put on some weight and I have been told I am hard (and I am) by both women and men.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:41 PM

20,461 posts, read 14,792,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Hi there Yeahsoo. Your first post! You did notice this is an old thread? One I've never seen before. I only read the first few posts and found it rather interesting. Hopefully the discussion will be revived.

Well, I've always taken care of myself and I think it has paid off. I'm not huge and muscular - rather, I am slim, trim and lean. I do get told I should put on some weight and I have been told I am hard (and I am) by both women and men.
Hey, I just noticed it says you are from New Zealand! Funny thing about that, and this thread, is that the only person I know who lives there is something of a body builder.

He is also one of the few men who prompt me to say, "The only men who have ever sent me unsolicited D pics are the lead singers of metal bands." He posted a photo on social media that was supposed to be showcasing his very muscular thighs, but the man was wearing pink boxer briefs. Every comment was either about the color of his shorts, or the size of his package. I made a crack about him stuffing rolled up socks down there to impress people. And he utterly insisted on sending me photographic evidence that was not the case. Insisted. Over my arguments that I was only joking and he did not need to prove anything to me.

Shame his band never made it back to the States, they were pretty good.

Anyhow.

I like "normal"ish guy bodies. Excessive muscles aren't threatening or intimidating to me, they just are unappealing in a sort of distorted and grotesque, weird kind of way. I would much rather date a guy who was chubby, out of shape, than a bodybuilder. But a man who is just fit but still...normal looking...that is good, too. I'm not into extreme body types, no matter if that's extremely skinny, fat, or muscular. Oddly though, height is completely unimportant to me either way.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:18 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,287,244 times
Exercising to stay fit and healthy is one thing.
To the extreme of loving to pose and look at yourself in the mirror is another. You don't need me for that.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:09 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,025,114 times
It's a discussion with merit, even though it would be generally impossible to nail down too many "norms."

As I said in another thread, there ARE some initial reactions, despite that people at large will deny them.

Women on the whole WILL react positively to an overtly muscular man. They will make faces, will verbally insist otherwise, and will cite things like egotism, arrogance, narcissism; but stand them next to a bodybuilder and they WILL get a little breathless, act a little flirty, and almost unconsciously reach out to touch this stranger's biceps... run hands over the "lumpiness" of his muscular arms, even his chest and shoulders. It's almost like they're hypnotized -- at first.

This isn't my imagination, I've seen it with bodybuilders (I used to run in those circles) and to some extent I've experienced it myself, though less than the really buff guys. While my ability to formulate a coherent (or even poetic) sentence has garnered some attention, I've seldom received more positive attention than when I was in fantastic shape, with prominent chest and shoulders.

However, as with the woman-to-man effect, this isn't enough to KEEP a woman's attention, and once she's used to it there had better be more on the platter, or she's leaving to find a guy who charms her more, entertains, makes her laugh, wakes a family instinct of sorts, to whatever degree.

But what guys tend to see is that initial reaction, and it sticks with them, affects their worldview.

It's the same for guys. Men will say otherwise, and often; but when a pair of big boobs walks through prominently displayed for effect, it most definitely has an effect. Breasts give off a powerful sexual signal JUST like thick, muscular shoulders do, JUST like muscular buttocks do. And men most definitely respond -- initially. Even men who will claim they are NOT Boob Men.

And just as women grow tired of a man's muscularity being all he has to offer, so men grow weary of a hot body being all a woman has to offer. Contrary to popular belief we, too, enjoy rewarding interaction with a great personality. We enjoy other body parts, such as a pleasing midsection (whether tight or plump), legs, the back, a neck, hair -- lots of things. And no matter how good any of it looks, there had better be more, or we're looking elsewhere.

But women, too, see that obvious initial reaction, and it colours their perceptions of what men "really" want.

What we see, and what we think based on what we see, is all centered around the "immediate reward" system of thinking. Muscular guys are immediately rewarded for their looks. Busty women are immediately rewarded for their looks. Neither side sees what they do, only what they're looking for -- which is what the other side does. Men simply aren't interested in what men do in response to women, only in what other men do in order to reap visible rewards, such as the attention of women. Women seem more interested in both aspects, i.e., how other women are rewarded and what other women are doing, but only as it relates to a level of competition.

Once the initial reactions have burned off somewhat, both sexes return to a more normal level of cognition and social observation.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:48 AM

11,077 posts, read 12,529,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
It's a discussion with merit, even though it would be generally impossible to nail down too many "norms."

As I said in another thread, there ARE some initial reactions, despite that people at large will deny them.

Women on the whole WILL react positively to an overtly muscular man. They will make faces, will verbally insist otherwise, and will cite things like egotism, arrogance, narcissism; but stand them next to a bodybuilder and they WILL get a little breathless, act a little flirty, and almost unconsciously reach out to touch this stranger's biceps... run hands over the "lumpiness" of his muscular arms, even his chest and shoulders. It's almost like they're hypnotized -- at first.

This isn't my imagination, I've seen it with bodybuilders (I used to run in those circles) and to some extent I've experienced it myself, though less than the really buff guys. While my ability to formulate a coherent (or even poetic) sentence has garnered some attention, I've seldom received more positive attention than when I was in fantastic shape, with prominent chest and shoulders.

However, as with the woman-to-man effect, this isn't enough to KEEP a woman's attention, and once she's used to it there had better be more on the platter, or she's leaving to find a guy who charms her more, entertains, makes her laugh, wakes a family instinct of sorts, to whatever degree.

But what guys tend to see is that initial reaction, and it sticks with them, affects their worldview.

It's the same for guys. Men will say otherwise, and often; but when a pair of big boobs walks through prominently displayed for effect, it most definitely has an effect. Breasts give off a powerful sexual signal JUST like thick, muscular shoulders do, JUST like muscular buttocks do. And men most definitely respond -- initially. Even men who will claim they are NOT Boob Men.

And just as women grow tired of a man's muscularity being all he has to offer, so men grow weary of a hot body being all a woman has to offer. Contrary to popular belief we, too, enjoy rewarding interaction with a great personality. We enjoy other body parts, such as a pleasing midsection (whether tight or plump), legs, the back, a neck, hair -- lots of things. And no matter how good any of it looks, there had better be more, or we're looking elsewhere.

But women, too, see that obvious initial reaction, and it colours their perceptions of what men "really" want.

What we see, and what we think based on what we see, is all centered around the "immediate reward" system of thinking. Muscular guys are immediately rewarded for their looks. Busty women are immediately rewarded for their looks. Neither side sees what they do, only what they're looking for -- which is what the other side does. Men simply aren't interested in what men do in response to women, only in what other men do in order to reap visible rewards, such as the attention of women. Women seem more interested in both aspects, i.e., how other women are rewarded and what other women are doing, but only as it relates to a level of competition.

Once the initial reactions have burned off somewhat, both sexes return to a more normal level of cognition and social observation.
End thread.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:25 AM

48,630 posts, read 35,093,855 times
I like muscles, I do not like body builder types. For a variety of reasons, but mainly I don't find that overly built up look attractive.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-14-2017, 09:30 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,392,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I like muscles, I do not like body builder types. For a variety of reasons, but mainly I don't find that overly built up look attractive.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.