Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 01:59 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,724,463 times

Advertisements

A man can have the best body in the world, but if his attitude sucks banana peels, I'm out.

Give me a decent man with a nice smile and "dad bod" any day of the week!

And no, I am not intimidated by muscular men.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:00 PM

11,077 posts, read 12,515,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Back in the days when I worked out religiously, I enjoyed the attention I got from women, but I worked out for myself. I enjoyed being fit, being strong, filling out a shirt well. When I was in the gym the mirror was a tool for symmetry, for correct posture and form, not for preening and admiring myself.

There are always some guys (and plenty of women) in the gym who are there for the show, but the surprising majority just like the gym culture and atmosphere, and are pursuing it for themselves.

Yet another "nasty gym myth" that needs to go away. Seriously, the female attention IS nice, and much more prevalent than lots of women will let on; but saying men in general need to stop working out to impress women is akin to saying D&D dudes need to quit carrying around dice to pick up chicks: it's NOT why they do it.
I don't disagree, however, I think people who spend a long time in the gym and do take their body seriously should ask themselves why. In a way, vanity for vanity's sake can be much worse than desire for opposite sex attention.

I would say a similar thing for people who over indulge in any kind of activity. Just make sure your motivations are physically and psychologically healthy.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:20 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,133,511 times
Quote:
Back in the days when I worked out religiously, I enjoyed the attention I got from women, but I worked out for myself. I enjoyed being fit, being strong, filling out a shirt well. When I was in the gym the mirror was a tool for symmetry, for correct posture and form, not for preening and admiring myself.

There are always some guys (and plenty of women) in the gym who are there for the show, but the surprising majority just like the gym culture and atmosphere, and are pursuing it for themselves.

Yet another "nasty gym myth" that needs to go away. Seriously, the female attention IS nice, and much more prevalent than lots of women will let on; but saying men in general need to stop working out to impress women is akin to saying D&D dudes need to quit carrying around dice to pick up chicks: it's NOT why they do it.
That's the same reason I work out, for myself. It's something about feeling strong and filling out clothes that does it for me. I've been working out since I was a teen, due to being involved in wrestling and weightlifting back in high school.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:23 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,023,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
That's the same reason I work out, for myself. It's something about feeling strong and filling out clothes that does it for me. I've been working out since I was a teen, due to being involved in wrestling and weightlifting back in high school.
When I first started, back in the military, it was because I'd gotten chubby. But a month of working out reminded me how vibrant, how strong, I'd felt back on the farm, growing up. To be able to run and jump, climb, and yes, to lift heavy things other folks couldn't. I was always strong, I'd simply forgotten it.

The more folks I met in the gym crowd, the more I encountered an enjoyment of health and strength from others, not a predilection for impressing the opposite sex.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:28 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,450,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Same for me. I was on the swim team in high school, and did some weight training then. I did even more in my twenties and beyond, and go to the gym on average about four times a week. There are so many benefits: less stress, sleep better, more energy, lower blood pressure, and much more. The fact I got more attention from women was just an added bonus, although a nice one I'll admit. Still, my main reason for going is for myself.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:32 PM

48,586 posts, read 35,047,383 times
Quote:
When I first started, back in the military, it was because I'd gotten chubby. But a month of working out reminded me how vibrant, how strong, I'd felt back on the farm, growing up. To be able to run and jump, climb, and yes, to lift heavy things other folks couldn't. I was always strong, I'd simply forgotten it.

The more folks I met in the gym crowd, the more I encountered an enjoyment of health and strength from others, not a predilection for impressing the opposite sex.
That joy you felt also comes across to the opposite sex. I'm getting in really good shape right now, and FEEL good (not just vanity), like you said, you feel strong, competent, healthy. That is appealing to those around you. Also, those who work out a lot, normally eat healthy and that just adds to it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-28-2020, 12:25 AM

1 posts, read 598 times
I apologize for being a little late to the discussion. But I do need to ask a question about intimidating women.

I'm 6 foot 4 and just over 230 LBs...I work out routinely and I am lean and in good shape. I'm not the strongest or most muscular guy at the gym..I'm more into body building not power lifting. But I am the tallest-widest. Chest is 49 inch with a 36 inch waist...shoulders and back are wide....posture/balance is good...legs a little on the thin side.

So can a guys height and broadness intimidate? I too try my best to smile and have a positive attitude. I'm probably one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Its a real struggle for me to be the "good guy" and not the "nice guy"though. Yes...I understand the difference...nice guys finish last!

Any help would appreciated...women and some guys too just seem a little scared when near me. I feel like I'm stuck in no-man's land. Physically intimidating...but socially too nice.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:20 AM

62,010 posts, read 87,675,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_in_Ten View Post

I'm probably one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Its a real struggle for me to be the "good guy" and not the "nice guy"though. Yes...I understand the difference...nice guys finish last!

Any help would appreciated
Please explain why it's a "real struggle for you to be the good guy"...

Old 12-28-2020, 02:35 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,531,697 times
Default sasie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholic6303 View Post
I've had numerous people tell me that I don't seem very approachable. My best bud says I look "too masculine" and women are intimidated by me. I've had women tell me that I don't seem too approachable even though I try and smile. I'm not the biggest guy in the world, 5'11, 205 about 9% bodyfat, but not the smallest. My sister says that the veins in my biceps are a big turnoff too?

What can I do to seem more approachable to women? I try and smile, be friendly and wear "softer" color clothes... are women intimidated by decent looking/fit muscular guys?
I can only speak by this woman. I like a man TONED, and will go by your sister's statement that "veins in my biceps are a big tunroff."

And do you know what is also a big turn off for me, tattoos......?

Old 12-28-2020, 02:38 PM

20,771 posts, read 20,051,896 times
veins are yummy. I am not scared. Must be your attitude - maybe you seem mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.