Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:26 AM

810 posts, read 1,801,802 times

Advertisements

I don't think women are intimidated by muscular men, in general. I am 5'6" and 174 lbs, but despite being heavily into bodybuilding and strength training I don't present myself in an intimidating way. I think some bodybuilders try to look badass and intimidating, but that comes across as more pathetic than intimidating. Plus, I have a bunch of other interests besides fitness (classic literature and film, chess, art.)

It's actually interesting because it's the same thing with friends of mine who are into MMA. The ones who are the best at the sport, you can never tell in public. They don't walk around wearing TapOut or Affliction shirts, and they are kind and humble.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 AM

10 posts, read 71,419 times
Yeah, I'm defnitely not like those MMA/tapout/affliction guys... I'm a lover, not a fighter
I don't wear "tight" clothing either, or try to act like a badass either... unfortunately the only people that approach me and are interested in me are women that I dont find attractive, cougars, and gay guys.... This is me at the Tough Mudder

Attached Thumbnails
Are women intimidated by muscular men?-tm.jpg  

Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,170,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholic6303 View Post
Yeah, I'm defnitely not like those MMA/tapout/affliction guys... I'm a lover, not a fighter
I don't wear "tight" clothing either, or try to act like a badass either... unfortunately the only people that approach me and are interested in me are women that I dont find attractive, cougars, and gay guys.... This is me at the Tough Mudder
[quote=workaholic6303;24408834]I've had numerous people tell me that I don't seem very approachable. My best bud says I look "too masculine" and women are intimidated by me. I've had women tell me that I don't seem too approachable even though I try and smile. I'm not the biggest guy in the world, 5'11, 205 about 9% bodyfat, but not the smallest. My sister says that the veins in my biceps are a big turnoff too?

Wait, what? That is nothing like you described. I envisioned a rock-solid muscular chest. I don't get "body-builder" from this pic, nor do I see the veiny arms. I pictured your muscles having muscles. You seem like a guy that's fit, not this:

Old 05-22-2012, 11:44 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,051,768 times
There is nothing intimidating about the picture the op posted.
To me, that is what a regular guy should look like.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:48 AM

22,181 posts, read 29,140,378 times
I couldn't tell you without some pictures posted

Old 05-22-2012, 11:51 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,170,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I couldn't tell you without some pictures posted
scroll up...he did post a pic.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:52 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,776,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholic6303 View Post
Manly looking men intimidate women, your probably have a serious look about you and women probably like that. I'm 37, very dark and hairy and some women say the same about me. I'm slender not big at all.

When you look at women and they can't maintain eyes contact or look away that's you're answer.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 AM

810 posts, read 1,801,802 times
But also keep this in mind:

There are bodybuilders, quite a few in fact, that are just really vain. In a way, bodybuilding kind of fosters vain behavior because you are being judged solely on appearance, but there are bodybuilders that let that resonate into becoming egotistical and self-obsessed. I couldn't tell you how many bodybuilding friends I have who only talk about the gym, their workouts, and have at least 50 pictures of themselves shirtless in front of the mirror. That is what turns women off, far more than any "intimidation" factor.

It's also funny too because when they post those pictures in an obvious attempt to win over some female flattery, the only people who are posting comments and likes are other guys.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:02 PM

10 posts, read 71,419 times
That's good to hear. Yeah, that pic isn't the best because I'm covered in mud and running, not flexing and the pic is from a far.

I have a lot of women that won't make eye contact with me, I by no means look like a greek god but maybe it has to do with conversational skills, I try and use humor but still am attracting the girls that I'm not physically attracted to

Old 05-22-2012, 12:05 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,623,952 times
Thanks for posting a pic. From what I can tell by your Tough Mudder pic, you're fit just the same as my guy is, same physique. Nothing dramatic to be intimidated about. There must be something else that is going on to slow down the women lining up. You say you are working out 6 days. Showering 6 days, as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.