Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 06:26 PM

37,428 posts, read 45,623,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Thanks for posting a pic. From what I can tell by your Tough Mudder pic, you're fit just the same as my guy is, same physique. Nothing dramatic to be intimidated about. There must be something else that is going on to slow down the women lining up. You say you are working out 6 days. Showering 6 days, as well?
LOL!! Now THAT is funny.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:17 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,067,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
That's interesting, I've always had the idea most women prefer muscular men, not necessarily the huge bodybuilding type though.
Most of us do. Just not juiced up guys.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:18 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,031,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
No. Most women find fit guys very attractive. The problem usually occurs in women's mind. They create some imaginary science fiction scenario in their little heads and think "Oh, if he looks like that, he must be like ................" Which is stupid. Make no mistake about it, women LOVE guys with good bodies, they may not love bodybuilders, but the DO love muscular men (big difference between the two). If they can just fix the mental problem they create in their mind about what they (mistakenly) think muscular guys are like, then all would be right in the world.

You didn't really type that? Nah, you wouldn't be that obvious, would you?

Wow. I used to have respect for you although I disagreed with you often, but that is so disdainful you have lost it from me.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,249,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Seriously? You really don't understand the human body at all, if you are seriously asking this question.

Muscles, when worked (or overworked I should say), get stronger, and larger. Your heart, if you were to start running 3 miles every day, would get much stronger after a time...and yeah, it actually gets larger. But most importantly, it gets stronger. That means it beats less...yet pumps the same amount of blood. So it has to work less to achieve the same result. Which means, of course, that you might live longer, or least with few heart-related health issues. If you stop the cardio, the heart goes back to it's previous condition...smaller, weaker. And you'll feel the difference, I assure you.

Other muscles are the same. Work them, they get stronger and larger. Stop, and the go back to the previous state.
That's not what I was asking. If someone who works out to be a super-lug for a decade, say in his 30s, and then stops, what happens to all that muscular mass? I'm sure it sags. Right? It doesn't look toned anymore when someone gives up bodybuilding.

That's why going to the gym and lifting is fine, but becoming a musclehead requires several decisions, including "are you willing to look spongy if you stop?"

Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,067,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
That's not what I was asking. If someone who works out to be a super-lug for a decade, say in his 30s, and then stops, what happens to all that muscular mass? I'm sure it sags. Right? It doesn't look toned anymore when someone gives up bodybuilding.

That's why going to the gym and lifting is fine, but becoming a musclehead requires several decisions, including "are you willing to look spongy if you stop?"
You don't look spongy. You go back to how you used to look.

Is anatomy/physiology not taught in school anymore?

Old 05-22-2012, 07:43 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,949,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Perhaps you're using the wrong word - or your friends are - intimidating is not what comes to mind at all.

The picture of you makes you seem like just anyone else - nothing intimidating. However, the picture with the musclehead in the white and pink tutu (on the left) doesn't come across as intimidating but he sure seems to be one of those "lives at the gym lifting weights" kinda guy and is this his one beer of the month and next thing he'll be asking for carrot juice with a twist of celery? If that's you on the left,---- sorry - that's not the same person as in the mudder pic.
LOL You nailed that one.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:57 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,861,360 times
Quote:

no, she answered the question correctly the first time, if you stop working out, your muscles shrink that's all. Don't confuse Arnold's newer fatter body with sagging muscle, he just has more fat now. Muscle and fat are not the same thing, muscle doesn't turn to fat and vice verse, muscles get smaller if you stop working out (for muscle) if you stop working out entirely, your chance of becoming fat will increase because you will not be burning as many calories etc

Old 05-23-2012, 07:28 AM

455 posts, read 648,497 times
Quote:
2) what happens to all that muscle when they get old(er)?
Depends if they are natural. I am a natural powerlifter as i don't take protein, creatine, muscle mass 3000x, etc. I don't take roids or any other muscle building drug. I eat healthy, don't do drugs, or drink alcohol (once in a blue moon). It took me 6+ years to get a muscular stocky build. I remember last year i was laid off, got depressed and stopped going to the gym for like 9 - 11 months.

IMO, if you are all natural then it will take a longer time for the body to atrophy. I am just getting back into the gym and i am still able to lift what i was able to perform the whole depression.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,684,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholic6303 View Post
I've had numerous people tell me that I don't seem very approachable. My best bud says I look "too masculine" and women are intimidated by me. I've had women tell me that I don't seem too approachable even though I try and smile. I'm not the biggest guy in the world, 5'11, 205 about 9% bodyfat, but not the smallest. My sister says that the veins in my biceps are a big turnoff too?

What can I do to seem more approachable to women? I try and smile, be friendly and wear "softer" color clothes... are women intimidated by decent looking/fit muscular guys?
SOME women are turned off by it, but mostly, women are turned off by the attitude. When you go around with the attitude that you KNOW you look good and you're flaunting it.....right down to knowing what your body fat content is, that's the big turn off.

When you have that type of attitude, you're limiting yourself to relationships with women. Either you're going to end up with someone who has a complete lack of self-esteem, or you're going to end up with women who are as "obsessed" with their body fat content as you are. Oh well, if you find someone like that, at least you'll have someone to compete with.

It might have more to do with how you carry yourself than anything. When you're so obsessed and proud of your musculature, you walk around in a "flexed" state all of the time....a HUGE turn off to many women. Many of us prefer someone who's toned, not someone who looks like they can tear us to pieces if they get pi$$ed at us!

Edit: Okay....just saw the pic. I promise you that I'm not trying to be mean or anything....but after seeing that pic, let's just say that going around boasting on your frequent visits to the gym and your low BF content, is NOT a good thing. I'm sorry.... but you just look like a typical guy, who doesn't go to the gym and doesn't have a physical job, either.

Last edited by beachmel; 05-23-2012 at 09:57 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 10:03 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,268,760 times
Quote:
2) what happens to all that muscle when they get old(er)?
One word: Moobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.