Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 10:28 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,119 times

Advertisements

Some of us don't judge men by their appearance. My first husband was 6' and weighed less than 130. My kids' father was 6' and weighed around 180. For a long time I dated a guy who was a couple inches shorter than me but built like a power lifter - but he was a ranch kid who was also a bull rider. My late husband was 6'4" and weighed around 170-180. My son is 6'4" and weighs around 280, and because of his job, he's solid muscle without looking like any kind of gym rat. While he can - and does - intimidate some of his co-workers depending on their level of idiocy, none of the women he dates, which he certainly does when he's onshore, seem to be the least bit intimidated. In fact, one of his nicknames is Big Sexy. One of his lady friends started it, and while she's gone the name lives on still.

But OP, if you were in the Tough Mudder, are you military? I have a friend, a young woman the same age as my daughter, who's been doing it for years, except this year - she's still recovering from surgery and going nuts because after months she's finally allowed to jog. She's used to running miles every day and doing weight training several times/week. She says the only upside is that she's so slow now her kids can run with her.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 AM

455 posts, read 651,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
SOME women are turned off by it, but mostly, women are turned off by the attitude. When you go around with the attitude that you KNOW you look good and you're flaunting it.....right down to knowing what your body fat content is, that's the big turn off.

When you have that type of attitude, you're limiting yourself to relationships with women. Either you're going to end up with someone who has a complete lack of self-esteem, or you're going to end up with women who are as "obsessed" with their body fat content as you are. Oh well, if you find someone like that, at least you'll have someone to compete with.

It might have more to do with how you carry yourself than anything. When you're so obsessed and proud of your musculature, you walk around in a "flexed" state all of the time....a HUGE turn off to many women. Many of us prefer someone who's toned, not someone who looks like they can tear us to pieces if they get pi$$ed at us!

Edit: Okay....just saw the pic. I promise you that I'm not trying to be mean or anything....but after seeing that pic, let's just say that going around boasting on your frequent visits to the gym and your low BF content, is NOT a good thing. I'm sorry.... but you just look like a typical guy, who doesn't go to the gym and doesn't have a physical job, either.
LOL! women do this. Also, knowing your body fat content is a good thing to know about yourself.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:19 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Just personal experience here but when I see a man who is in great shape who spends more time and money on his appearance than I do, my first thought is that he is likely gay. Of course, I then chide myself for being too judgmental.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:54 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,230,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholic6303 View Post
I never claimed to be a huge bodybuilder looking type I appreciate everyone's input though.

I suppose everyone was expecting a curl jockey, huge arms/chest, that's not the case, I have more of a "powerlifter" look. But that's ok, this is good news, now I can try and figure out why I don't seem approachable. I'll have to ask the women that have told me that.

Here's a pic of me and my buddies having a fun night out on the town for some good laughs, actually have more ladies approach us like this, way less intimidating I guess, hahaha -- we're a fun group of guys
Which one is you in this pic?

I know you didn't exactly say you were a bodybuilder but you said veiny arms and you were muscular so I couldn't help but picture the jock lol

Maybe your sister thinks your arms are too veiny for her preference. I didn't think your arms were veiny at all. I think you should take a pic or 2 of your arms and post them so we can get a better look

Old 05-23-2012, 05:44 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
LOL! women do this. Also, knowing your body fat content is a good thing to know about yourself.
LOL...I feel the same way about women who do this thing. If you're in great shape, you don't have to throw numbers around or tell anyone. They can tell just by looking at you that you're in great shape. I mean, that makes as much sense as walking up to someone and saying...."Yeah, I have all my hair." or "My hair is blonde." I prefer much more stimulating conversation than that from a person. Come up to me and start telling me about how much time you spend at the gym and how you're only 10% body fat, you can bet I'm going to log you in as one of the most boring, human beings on planet Earth, look at my watch and then exclaim, "OMG is it that time already!? I've got to get going! Nice meeting you though....."

Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Knowing your body fat percentage is not vain.

It's important health information. Like knowing your average bp, etc.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:51 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,119 times
Mercy, I've been attracted to muscular men but never intimidated by them. If they're friendly then there was at least subtle attraction. If they were bully or unfriendly, nope not a bit intimidated. I've been known to give them "eye of the tiger," not blink and then walk away, just looking long enough to let my body language let them know that I wasn't intimidated, etc.

I used to work out in a quality spa that was coed only on Sundays. Very nice experience.

In the nightclub or social scene the buff guys were a welcome sight, and fun to study to see which ones weren't too stuck on the themselves.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Knowing your body fat percentage is not vain.

It's important health information. Like knowing your average bp, etc.
Yes, but waltzing up to someone and bringing it up in a casual conversation, could very well be considered to be quite vain. There's nothing wrong with knowing it.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:41 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,179,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
1) do guys like that get significantly more sex? Or do the steroids cause "shrinkage?"
2) what happens to all that muscle when they get old(er)?
73-Year-Old Woman With a 20-Year-Old Body | The Stir

Old 05-24-2012, 06:11 AM

455 posts, read 651,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Just personal experience here but when I see a man who is in great shape who spends more time and money on his appearance than I do, my first thought is that he is likely gay. Of course, I then chide myself for being too judgmental.
So now if a guy takes care of himself, he is gay??? How much time and money should a guy spend on his appearance in order not to be viewed as gay??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships