Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 08:30 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,602,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholic6303 View Post
I've had numerous people tell me that I don't seem very approachable. My best bud says I look "too masculine" and women are intimidated by me. I've had women tell me that I don't seem too approachable even though I try and smile. I'm not the biggest guy in the world, 5'11, 205 about 9% bodyfat, but not the smallest. My sister says that the veins in my biceps are a big turnoff too?

What can I do to seem more approachable to women? I try and smile, be friendly and wear "softer" color clothes... are women intimidated by decent looking/fit muscular guys?
Now let me think about this...hmmm. With a handle of "workaholic6303" and working out in the gym around 6 days a week on average, when would you have time for a relationship...a 'real life' relationship?? . When you are in a healthy, sensible relationship, "working out" all the time and along with "working " all the time is setting you up for failed realtionship, marriage, child rearing etc. Sounds like to me you have swung the pedulum in the far left direction; you have no balance...just MHO. Any intelligent woman would put those two together and realize you are not what they are looking for in a lifelong or even short term relationship because you wouldn't have time for them

Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,611,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Knowing your body fat percentage is not vain.

It's important health information. Like knowing your average bp, etc.
I agree, I dont know who comes up with this nonsense. Any guy who is into working out knows exactly what his body fat % is because its a much better indicator of your body composition than weight or BMI. For example, in order for a guy to show a six pack, body fat % has to be under 10%. If the guy is unaware of this fact, he could be doing a million crunches a day and never be able to show it. Why do all this hard work and not reap any benefits? Get with the times people.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 AM

30,571 posts, read 16,259,857 times
Since this was asked on the non-romantic relationship thread, I'm assuming you're not talking just women that you'd date but any woman-single, married, young, old, whatever.
I think I might be at 1st, until I got to know you a bit. based on your post tho' I wonder if you're trying too hard? Maybe coming on a bit too strong? okay, bad pun, but maybe a simple 'hi, how ya doing?' Type thing then see what happens.
If you have a SO, put they're photo on your desk so the women know you just want friendship, not involvement.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 4,890 times
I'm a woman and i have to say, that I'm a bit afraid of muscular guys...I really like guys who are interested in a relationship and not only in there body. I know it's an prejudice, but still works

Old 05-24-2012, 10:34 AM

455 posts, read 652,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberbs View Post
I'm a woman and i have to say, that I'm a bit afraid of muscular guys...I really like guys who are interested in a relationship and not only in there body. I know it's an prejudice, but still works
This made no sense whatsoever.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:22 PM

186 posts, read 263,615 times
Ummm...How do you feel about 51 yo Alaska woman with way too much BMI and a really sassy disposition. Seriously, a lot of body differences can be ignored if you make a connection with someone. Smiling, people will smile back. Walking up and saying hi...even better. Some people might not approach you because they think you measure up better than they do...however, no not intimidated by muscular men, actually like the stand out veins on arms (have no clue why) and er...thighs, deep voices, nice b....er....okay won't go there.

Go someplace besides the gym and talk to people, book store is good, some sort of spring or summer home building show, faire, carnival, whatever. Volunteer, aspca, or to work with the handicapped. Broaden your horizons, help someone, your muscles would come in great, you could show them about body building. Who knows where it might lead.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,732,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
I agree, I dont know who comes up with this nonsense. Any guy who is into working out knows exactly what his body fat % is because its a much better indicator of your body composition than weight or BMI. For example, in order for a guy to show a six pack, body fat % has to be under 10%. If the guy is unaware of this fact, he could be doing a million crunches a day and never be able to show it. Why do all this hard work and not reap any benefits? Get with the times people.
Oh goody....one more thing for people to obsess over! Because we all know that a rock solid 6 pack is the be all to end all and a determiner of self-worth!

Old 05-24-2012, 08:12 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,456,938 times
Quote:
I've had numerous people tell me that I don't seem very approachable. My best bud says I look "too masculine" and women are intimidated by me. I've had women tell me that I don't seem too approachable even though I try and smile. I'm not the biggest guy in the world, 5'11, 205 about 9% bodyfat, but not the smallest. My sister says that the veins in my biceps are a big turnoff too?

What can I do to seem more approachable to women? I try and smile, be friendly and wear "softer" color clothes... are women intimidated by decent looking/fit muscular guys?
I love it when a man has biceps!!! Nice biceps are always a plus for me. I have never heard of a woman intimidated by muscular men.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:37 PM

10 posts, read 71,943 times
Wow, a lot of assumptions were made in this thread, fast.

A) For starters, I never mentioned how many days a week I work out, not sure where 6 came from.

B) Any person with slight knowledge in fitness knows that for males to show abs you need to be sub 10% BF, it's not something I obsess over nor something I have actually measured, my guess is that I'm around 9% due to an definition and vascularity in my arms.

C) I never dress like a meathead (affliction t-shirt, wifebeater, etc.) the 2nd pic I showed was us goofing around, and no, with the quality of the photos you can't see the veins in my arms.

D) I'm not into bodybuilding. I do crossfit and powerlift. I think everyone was expecting a juiced out bodybuilder. I'm by no means huge, but put me next to your average guy I probably do look much more muscular. And I never bragged in these posts about it nor do I ever do it in public, I'm actually very modest.

E) The reason why I posted this to begin with was because my buddy that told me women can be intimidated by more muscular men used to be a dating coach. I've had women tell me that I'm not very approachable (maybe I look like I'm mad?). And my sister told me that vascular arms, etc. are a turnoff for her and the girls she knows (she's 21).

At times I can be intimidated by stunningly gorgeous women, was wondering if it was the same the other way around.

So please stop jumping to conclusions, I'm not a tool. thanks.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:54 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,732,783 times
Quote:
Wow, a lot of assumptions were made in this thread, fast.

A) For starters, I never mentioned how many days a week I work out, not sure where 6 came from.

B) Any person with slight knowledge in fitness knows that for males to show abs you need to be sub 10% BF, it's not something I obsess over nor something I have actually measured, my guess is that I'm around 9% due to an definition and vascularity in my arms.

C) I never dress like a meathead (affliction t-shirt, wifebeater, etc.) the 2nd pic I showed was us goofing around, and no, with the quality of the photos you can't see the veins in my arms.

D) I'm not into bodybuilding. I do crossfit and powerlift. I think everyone was expecting a juiced out bodybuilder. I'm by no means huge, but put me next to your average guy I probably do look much more muscular. And I never bragged in these posts about it nor do I ever do it in public, I'm actually very modest.

E) The reason why I posted this to begin with was because my buddy that told me women can be intimidated by more muscular men used to be a dating coach. I've had women tell me that I'm not very approachable (maybe I look like I'm mad?). And my sister told me that vascular arms, etc. are a turnoff for her and the girls she knows (she's 21).

At times I can be intimidated by stunningly gorgeous women, was wondering if it was the same the other way around.

So please stop jumping to conclusions, I'm not a tool. thanks.
I'm glad you're not a tool! As for women being "intimidated" by a man with muscles, I don't personally know too many women who are. Many women whom I've talked to, do appreciate a well-toned, well built guy with a nice butt and good muscle definition, but many are turned off by guys who've built themselves up to the point that their necks are as big as their heads and they look like they've got sloping shoulders, due to overdeveloped muscles in their shoulders.

It's not a matter of being intimidated as much as it is NOT finding that attractive. Oh....I'm glad you don't boast about your body fat content and how often you work out.....for most women I know, that is a HUGE turn off. Again, it's not about intimidation, but about being turned off/repulsed.

Boys boast and strut around like peacocks. Men don't have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships