Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 01:03 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
I'm with you on this one. OP know's her better than any of us on this forum but, only 4-5 months still makes me wonder. I know anything can happen but the chances are, if the condoms are use correctly, are slim, basically zero.

[URL="http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/publications/416"]Condom Effectiveness[/URL]
"In one year, only two of every 100 couples who use condoms consistently and correctly will experience an unintended pregnancy—two pregnancies arising from an estimated 8,300 acts of sexual intercourse, for a 0.02 percent per-condom pregnancy rate.[3]"

I should start a pool:

When will the OP be back with a new thread saying, "Girlfriend lied to me about kid's paternity!"

New user name, of course.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:37 AM

38 posts, read 47,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Knock it off with the arrogance and condescending b.s. already. Six pages into this thread you have done nothing but natter on in the most obnoxiously pretentious, snotty, defensive way.

The fact is that you met someone four months ago, you knocked her up, and now you are coming here for input, but when people suggest things that tweak your tender sensibilities, you cop an attitude and presume to lecture them ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Others are welcome to indulge you, but I don't play that. You are in a tight situation and the attitude you have displayed here indicates to me that you are in no way, shape, or form ready to be a parent. You can't take the slightest criticism or even consider the possibility that this person, whom you have known for a whopping 4 months, might be playing you.

If she's smart, she'll get an abortion or put the kid up for adoption, just so she doesn't have to put up with, or subject a kid to, the self-righteous balderdash that will surely spew forth from your ever-eloquent maw for the next 18 years.
Yes, you write all that and you accuse me of being condescending and self-righteous? People in glass houses . . .

Which people who have vented valid criticisms have I chosen to lecture? Wind through the comments - there have been snide, derogatory digs like "abort the f**ker" or just plain subjective ignorance on the part of a poster whose identity I don't care to regurgitate or remember. There have been valid criticisms or inputs that don't fit my way of thinking and I've discussed them with the authors of those comments.The ones who I have discussed that with presented their points in a coherent and cordial manner and didn't result to adolescent-like digs.

But by all means, resume your rant about how you're right on everything. I'm not engaging in a pointless, inane internet argument. It's pretty sad in all honesty. I'll discuss, but I won't argue. So continue your series of derogatory personal remarks about my character and my girlfriend and my unborn child. I won't engage in any of that.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova1989 View Post
Yes, you write all that and you accuse me of being condescending and self-righteous? People in glass houses . . .

zzzzzzzZZZZZOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMmmmmmmm

The irony truck sped right by you.

Put down the thesaurus. You'll see that people here make a lot of sense. Regardless of how infatuated or in love with this woman you are, or think you are, you just don't know her very well. These boards are littered with scenarios like yours, where some young 20-something gets into a pickle and either through pride or obstinacy refuses to consider viewpoints not his or her own. They come on here looking for 100% agreement, and when they don't get it, they cop an attitude.

I would not be surprised in the least if, once the romance wears off and you come to understand just what it takes to raise a child with someone you're not even sure enough about to marry, you eventually sing a different tune.

But you're worried about her Mommy's and Daddy's reaction.

Really?

You both have some growing up to do. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:01 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Knock it off with the arrogance and condescending b.s. already. Six pages into this thread you have done nothing but natter on in the most obnoxiously pretentious, snotty, defensive way.

The fact is that you met someone four months ago, you knocked her up, and now you are coming here for input, but when people suggest things that tweak your tender sensibilities, you cop an attitude and presume to lecture them ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Others are welcome to indulge you, but I don't play that. You are in a tight situation and the attitude you have displayed here indicates to me that you are in no way, shape, or form ready to be a parent. You can't take the slightest criticism or even consider the possibility that this person, whom you have known for a whopping 4 months, might be playing you.

If she's smart, she'll get an abortion or put the kid up for adoption, just so she doesn't have to put up with, or subject a kid to, the self-righteous balderdash that will surely spew forth from your ever-eloquent maw for the next 18 years.
Could not have said it better. There is something deeply odd going on here. Is this a treatment for a screenplay never to be published?

Old 05-25-2012, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousBystander View Post
No, not correct in the least. I don't know of many people who stop caring what their parents think about them once they are out on their own or at any certain age for that matter. Caring about parental opinions and being controlled by them are actually two different things. Being worried about how one's parents will react to something will affect the relationship seems like a perfectly normal concern, but it doesn't mean the parents get to decide what happens.
I can buy that--IF the OP had acted rationally and asked for advice on how to approach her parents in the most sentitive, least disruptive way in order to break the news. But he didn't. He seemed more interested in telling us his heroic story of love-against-all-odds, using the most egregiously self conscious prose I have read here since Pimpy last visited. He is showing off and it's weird.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:16 AM

38 posts, read 47,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I can buy that--IF the OP had acted rationally and asked for advice on how to approach her parents in the most sentitive, least disruptive way in order to break the news. But he didn't. He seemed more interested in telling us his heroic story of love-against-all-odds, using the most egregiously self conscious prose I have read here since Pimpy last visited. He is showing off and it's weird.
You really have an endless capacity for manipulative distortion, don't you? It really is amazing.

Self-conscious prose? Yes, my natural writing style, the way I've always written, makes me self-conscious. Showing off? Heroic love against all odds? I'm pretty much lost for words because I find it difficult to understand how you come to your conclusions in your head,but each to his own, I guess.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova1989 View Post
You really have an endless capacity for manipulative distortion, don't you? It really is amazing.

Self-conscious prose? Yes, my natural writing style, the way I've always written, makes me self-conscious. Showing off? Heroic love against all odds? I'm pretty much lost for words because I find it difficult to understand how you come to your conclusions in your head,but each to his own, I guess.

Dude. Read your first post in the thread. "Ambuscading?" You're "renowned" for being shy?

I'm a writer and I don't put forth such bombast here.

In earnest.

Well, at least you're not jumping around from thread to thread blathering about women "sharing" themselves.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:05 AM

Quote:
This way of thinking presents quite an insurmountable challenge for me, Grace and our unborn baby, for Grace is white, and I'm black
Quote:
our innocence was suddenly eviscerated

I think you are far too in love with your own story to make any rational decisions about how to fix your wrecked future and prepare for parenthood.

Like Yzette, I am also a professional writer and we know a hack when we see one. Stick to "accountancy" perhaps.

Last edited by zentropa; 05-25-2012 at 04:25 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 05:00 AM

819 posts, read 1,129,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousBystander View Post
No, not correct in the least. I don't know of many people who stop caring what their parents think about them once they are out on their own or at any certain age for that matter. Caring about parental opinions and being controlled by them are actually two different things. Being worried about how one's parents will react to something will affect the relationship seems like a perfectly normal concern, but it doesn't mean the parents get to decide what happens.

I also firmly stand by bigoted, since the idea that there should be "racial" separation does fall under the heading of "expressing or characterized by prejudice and intolerance" - a definition of bigoted. What other human race besides homo sapiens is currently alive on the planet anyway? None. In this case, it sounds like nothing more than a prejudice against skin color since I believe I remember the OP stating they have similar middle class backgrounds.

If that's somehow not enough to qualify, consider that bigot is defined as "a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices." Considering the OP has also stated that Grace's parents' concept of racial separation isn't just something they apply to themselves, but believe should apply to everyone because they want it to, I'd say that's absolute, spot-on bigotry.

You may not like the term, especially if you should happen to agree with the idea, but it is most definitely correct.
Nothing more than progressive thinking disguised as some sort of moral truth. Reality rarely matches up with idealistic notions of "fairness".

Old 05-25-2012, 05:28 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Once the bickering starts then it is time to close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships