Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you not care about looks if the other person rocks?
Yes, I don't care about looks at all if they are awesome 20 42.55%
Go f@ck off you weirdo freak 27 57.45%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Women are less concerned about looks. I've lurked on mostly male dominated forums and the amount of discussion about what chick is the most hot is talked about more often than anything else; the men are so sexist and offensive it's sickening. IRL it's the same thing with men. If I brought up an acquaintance from work or school the first thing a guy ask is "does she look good? is her azz big?" Men even treat women based on how attractive they think they are.

I happen to think that I am 'cute/average' and once I did lower my standards last year and gave an ugly guy a chance, a fat one at that, and he acted as if he was too good for me.
For somebody who complains constantly about men not wanted you for looks, you are the biggest hypocrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
For somebody who complains constantly about men not wanted you for looks, you are the biggest hypocrite.
So true.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:05 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,214,431 times
Quote:
Exactly. If she really liked the guy, she wouldn't consider it "lowering her standards" to date someone who's fat and ugly. Attraction encompasses everything about a person, not just some physical requirements. If she considered him ugly, she was with the wrong person.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:12 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Women are less concerned about looks. I've lurked on mostly male dominated forums and the amount of discussion about what chick is the most hot is talked about more often than anything else; the men are so sexist and offensive it's sickening. IRL it's the same thing with men. If I brought up an acquaintance from work or school the first thing a guy ask is "does she look good? is her azz big?" Men even treat women based on how attractive they think they are.

I happen to think that I am 'cute/average' and once I did lower my standards last year and gave an ugly guy a chance, a fat one at that, and he acted as if he was too good for me.

Sorry that you've had bad experiences on a fourn no less. But the reality is that not ALL men are like the once in the fourm you visited. Women can be just as sexist as men even more so. They just tend to hide it better then men do. They are those of us who look beyond what most men consider hott. Maybe one day you'll see that.. then again maybe not.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
For me it really is about "chemistry" ( whatever that means). Sometimes you meet a guy which is by no means a matinee idol and you just click. Some men ooze sexiness through their pores despite being anything but classical gods. I put it down to some kind of chemical reaction coupled with whether your personalities just click.

One of the sexiest guys I ever dated , whom I was crazy about was what would be termed by most people borderline ugly. And yet to me he was just "sex on legs" as well as a man whose company I really enjoyed and a mind I could really get into. He "got" me too which made it even more perfect. My girl friends thought I was crazy but I just did not give a damn. I also dated a guy who looked like a Greek God for a while but there was just no chemistry. He was good looking but I felt nothing. I saw him as pretty as any pretty object but nothing more.

I do think you see more women with "ugly" blokes than men with "ugly" women.

It is all very subjective though, we all have different ideas of what sexiness and beauty are. Pure Beauty is grossly over rated IMO. I find aguy with a fabulous sense of humour and a great brain far more sexy than a loser with no intellect but a great body.

I also have an aversion to "pretty boys" and "Gym Bunnies". Guys of all shapes and sizes can be hugely attractive. A friend of mine and I were talking about the TV show Grimm.

She loves the lead character "pretty boy" ( perhaps because she is quite a bit younger than I am) and I find him totally bland and unsexy . However the guy who plays "Monroe" is totally gorgeous to me despite not having what people see as conventionally good looks. Unlikely sex symbol perhaps but he has far more "Hoomph" than his co actor.

People often mix up "sexy" and "good looking" which are such different propositions. Audrey Hepburn IMO was one of the most beautiful women who ever lived but she was not sexy.

There has to be a meeting of the minds for me to even start feeling any attration to anyone. The Brain is still my most erogenous zone. By far.

And sometimes you get both packages for the price of one which is even better but you can be physically attracted to someone who is less than perfect. Paul Newman I think had both. Gorgeous and sexy ( and talented and a decent guy too). But good looks are no way near as important as chemistry.

Make me laugh, make me think and keep my interest going and what you look like will recede more and more to an insignificant issue. That's me anyway.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:38 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,825 times
Quote:
How does that make me a hypocrite? I was willing to go out with someone that I don't find physically attractive and see if my feelings would grow. I was willing to look deeper than the physical. Something most men don't always do. But he was such an ahole that I wasn't able to do that.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:40 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
This is an extremely open ended question....
the longer I date someone, if he is kind hearted, gentle, warm and polite, meaning he possesses awareness, then the longer I date him the more attractive he becomes...It may sound weird, but I've oft times dated men, who I didn't think were really that good looking, but friends and family would say, "he's very handsome"....however, the longer I dated them and observed them, the more attractive or unattractive they became.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:42 AM

819 posts, read 1,129,851 times
Quote:
How does that make me a hypocrite? I was willing to go out with someone that I don't find physically attractive and see if my feelings would grow. I was willing to look deeper than the physical. Something most men don't always do. But he was such an ahole that I wasn't able to do that.
Guys do the same thing when their options are limited; you're no different.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:48 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,639,161 times
As a heterosexual gal it'd be a major biteback likely leading to a relationship where I'm the attractive one with the personality to bypass looks while he's the unattractive/less attractive one who wanted a more attractive partner to overlook something for a trait when he wouldn't.

Looks are the deciding factor as I reject based on it since most likely when a guy approaches me it's because he was attracted to me and if it wasn't for that attraction he likely wouldn't have enough bothered to get to know if I rocked or not.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:48 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,726 times
I'll answer the question as a man. Yes, all women I have known, all women I have had contact with in every imaginable situation care about looks.

Most. Important. Thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships