Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:53 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
I met a guy online a few months ago, who said he is separated and that the divorce is under way. I haven't done anything sexual with him and refuse to until I see signed divorced papers. We've only met once because he lives across the country right now, but moves to my area in a few days. He doesn't know, but I check his wife's FB page occasionally (I can only see her profile picture) because I honestly have no way of knowing whether or not they're actually divorcing and I have no interest in being involved with a married man. A few days ago, I saw that her profile picture shows her in a garden with their dog. He posted a picture of himself in that same garden with their dog a few days ago too. So they obviously spend time together. How do I know if they're actually still together or if they're trying for an amicable divorce?
I dont see how they will still be together if he moves across country. If you need proof when he gets relocated ask to see some of the divorce documents.

Mine took 18 months from receiving the papers and the official divorce. I started dating a guy about halfway thru and looking back I wish I had waited longer before getting back out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:58 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
No, I didn't spend time with him. Yuck. I'd just see what happens once he moves closer to you. I didn't date until my divorce was final, not seriously anyway. He needs to fully remove himself from his prior relationship before he can really commit to being in another.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:04 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
Some divorces can take years to be finalized, depending upon the circumstances.
thats what i'm thinking, her policy could be no kissing for years...its not a feasible option to wait that long. Not sure what I would do in her situation

Old 05-29-2012, 10:13 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Hmmm. I wouldn't worry about it till he moves. I would also look elsewhere for someone with equal baggage to you. Not that someone can't be divorced, but you are not going through one, so why add the drama to your life? He can stay a friend for now.

And you are already lying to him yourself. Why not bring up the thing about facebook? A relationship needs honesty. Be it friends or something more. Don't start off on the wrong foot but don't be played a fool all the same by his words. Nothing wrong with knowing stuff. But leaving it out of discussion when its bothering you isn't the best thing to do for you or the relationship on any level.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:39 AM

788 posts, read 1,271,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Hmmm. I wouldn't worry about it till he moves. I would also look elsewhere for someone with equal baggage to you. Not that someone can't be divorced, but you are not going through one, so why add the drama to your life? He can stay a friend for now.

And you are already lying to him yourself. Why not bring up the thing about facebook? A relationship needs honesty. Be it friends or something more. Don't start off on the wrong foot but don't be played a fool all the same by his words. Nothing wrong with knowing stuff. But leaving it out of discussion when its bothering you isn't the best thing to do for you or the relationship on any level.
Good points! I actually don't like the idea of dating someone who is separated, nor do I like how much I know. It feels like we're both playing games, which isn't the way I want to build a relationship. I'm actually going to start looking elsewhere, since I'm not convinced anymore that he's actually separated. He might be, but I think I might just need less drama than all this is causing.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:46 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Is it possible that he's moving for a job and his wife will be joining him later after the house sells? Could he have done the online thing as a way for him to hook up with someone local?

Old 05-29-2012, 12:54 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't understand how someone can be mid-divorce and on a dating site. I know there are certain rare circumstances where this could happen... in a healthy manner, but in general - I don't get it.

And, how does the issue of sex even come up with a man you've only met once?
Since I am in this very situation, let me answer your question. After a very long marriage (40 years), my husband just walked out one day. In the beginning, I assumed we would ultimately get back together once we worked out some issues but that never happened. I was totally faithful for the entire marriage and thoughout the four long years that we've been separated. However, now that I have filed for divorce (in January), I have left the marriage not only in my heart buy in my soul and in my mind. I have put up a profile on a couple of the dating sites and been very up-front about my situation but I am tired of being alone and felt I was entitled to some fun while I plod through this very lengthy and tedious divorce process. So, I hope that answers your question about how someone can be mid-divorce and on a dating site...at least in my situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships