Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:44 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,372,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Your comments are sweet about your wife. Perhaps if you could convince her to keep a timer in her pocket or near her when she's having these cooking moments. Set the timer for 15 minutes, when it goes off, check the kitchen to make sure it's not burning down. She obviously needs some sort of a reminder that she is doing something in the kitchen.
I don't know, I have these visions of shock collars and Pavlo the dog but I don't know, hard to change a person at 51.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 12:48 PM

218 posts, read 606,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
she just worries me some times with the fires.
maybe the fire department has classes for kids . . . or maybe you just need to up that donation

Old 09-21-2007, 12:52 PM

lol, thanks GASunshine, the fire dept is only about 1/4 mile from the house.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:03 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
Maybe you could tell her you've been thinking about going on a raw food diet? Seriously though, maybe you could give her some salad and sandwich cookbooks and make a joke about her sticking to those?

My dh and I have an agreement that I won't use his power tools (saws, drills, etc.) because we both think it's possible I could do some serious damage. I have issues with spatial relationships.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:09 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,066,646 times
Quote:
I was going to post this in the food section but its more about my wife than about food.

Ok I guess we only get good at things we have an interest in and she likes eating good food but has no interest in learning how to prepare it.

I came home last night and found the front door wide open and a fan aiming out, walked into the worst smelling home, all the windows open and my kids studying on the rear deck.

She was making chicken soup, sounds easy enough but she had it set to 5 on the burner, the water boiled off and it had about 2 inches of chicken fat floating on top, boiled over because it was left unattended and burst into flames on the burner, apparently it was burning for some time. This is hardly the first time for her or I would'nt bring it up, i've come home to this before where she puts things on the stove then walks off, i've found pots in the front yard that the bottom of the pot was mushroom shaped.

Anyway aside from screaming please don't kill my kids, in my head only!, what can I do to get her to care enough not to make a good meal but to either not cook or stand there and finish. Shes 51 and an unbelievably great lady, smart as you'll ever meet, great to look at, we get along great, but I feel like i'm living in the twilight zone when this happens. I feel like bursting out laughing when she looks at me and says....sorry! I left the house gagging last night, ran to walmart and got the highest rated filter they had to try and cut down on the smoke and burning metal smell, tonight I guess the kids and I will wash the walls with ammonia and water.
pay for the both of you to go to a cooking class..

Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,344,365 times
Quote:
I was going to post this in the food section but its more about my wife than about food.

Ok I guess we only get good at things we have an interest in and she likes eating good food but has no interest in learning how to prepare it.

I came home last night and found the front door wide open and a fan aiming out, walked into the worst smelling home, all the windows open and my kids studying on the rear deck.

She was making chicken soup, sounds easy enough but she had it set to 5 on the burner, the water boiled off and it had about 2 inches of chicken fat floating on top, boiled over because it was left unattended and burst into flames on the burner, apparently it was burning for some time. This is hardly the first time for her or I would'nt bring it up, i've come home to this before where she puts things on the stove then walks off, i've found pots in the front yard that the bottom of the pot was mushroom shaped.

Anyway aside from screaming please don't kill my kids, in my head only!, what can I do to get her to care enough not to make a good meal but to either not cook or stand there and finish. Shes 51 and an unbelievably great lady, smart as you'll ever meet, great to look at, we get along great, but I feel like i'm living in the twilight zone when this happens. I feel like bursting out laughing when she looks at me and says....sorry! I left the house gagging last night, ran to walmart and got the highest rated filter they had to try and cut down on the smoke and burning metal smell, tonight I guess the kids and I will wash the walls with ammonia and water.
Welcome to my world, my wife has done the same things, 29 years of being married and I'm lucky she hasn't killed me, she starts cooking and walks away and forgets about it, she is great at cooking burnt chicken yum. I walked through the door one day and smelled gas, she was sitting on the couch just as happy as could be and when I mentioned it she said she couldn't smell it, I checked the stove and there it was, a burner on and no flame, it had been that way for a hour or more.
It's not an every day thing because I do a lot of the cooking and we have a running joke about how she is slowly trying to poison me. Opps I better go, the smoke detectors are going off.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:36 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,469,228 times
^^^ Lol

Old 09-21-2007, 01:39 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,106,019 times
well how about the next time she starts to cook have the kids dress in protective gear and stand around the kitchen holding fire extinguishers.
or even better
some how stage this take a picture frame it with the title "whats for dinner Mom" and hang it in the kitchen in plain site as a "gentle" reminder.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Welcome to my world, my wife has done the same things, 29 years of being married and I'm lucky she hasn't killed me, she starts cooking and walks away and forgets about it, she is great at cooking burnt chicken yum. I walked through the door one day and smelled gas, she was sitting on the couch just as happy as could be and when I mentioned it she said she couldn't smell it, I checked the stove and there it was, a burner on and no flame, it had been that way for a hour or more.
It's not an every day thing because I do a lot of the cooking and we have a running joke about how she is slowly trying to poison me. Opps I better go, the smoke detectors are going off.
Roaddog if your number comes up before mine, stay away from the light....it could be something in the kitchen....lol

Old 09-21-2007, 02:16 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,181,103 times
They have a gadget you can put on the range hood that will automatically dispurse if there is a fire!!!! Saw it on the Today show and cost less than $10.00.

I think the cooking classes are a good idea or one of those places were you can go and prepare food for a week.

I know I have done my share of burning food and it sounds like it is more of a case where she is trying to multitask one too many things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships