Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 11:48 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,833 times

Advertisements

I was going to post this in the food section but its more about my wife than about food.

Ok I guess we only get good at things we have an interest in and she likes eating good food but has no interest in learning how to prepare it.

I came home last night and found the front door wide open and a fan aiming out, walked into the worst smelling home, all the windows open and my kids studying on the rear deck.

She was making chicken soup, sounds easy enough but she had it set to 5 on the burner, the water boiled off and it had about 2 inches of chicken fat floating on top, boiled over because it was left unattended and burst into flames on the burner, apparently it was burning for some time. This is hardly the first time for her or I would'nt bring it up, i've come home to this before where she puts things on the stove then walks off, i've found pots in the front yard that the bottom of the pot was mushroom shaped.

Anyway aside from screaming please don't kill my kids, in my head only!, what can I do to get her to care enough not to make a good meal but to either not cook or stand there and finish. Shes 51 and an unbelievably great lady, smart as you'll ever meet, great to look at, we get along great, but I feel like i'm living in the twilight zone when this happens. I feel like bursting out laughing when she looks at me and says....sorry! I left the house gagging last night, ran to walmart and got the highest rated filter they had to try and cut down on the smoke and burning metal smell, tonight I guess the kids and I will wash the walls with ammonia and water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 11:59 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,168 times
Has she always had cooking disasters or is this something new?

Old 09-21-2007, 12:00 PM

Beth its been since i've known her 1979, and i'm only laughing because so far she has'nt killed anyone.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:05 PM

218 posts, read 606,251 times
I'm sorry but I just can't stop laughing. Okay, I'll stop, but on first read, it's just hilarious. Then again, I can't imagine coming home to that. So kitchen attentiveness isn't your wife's forte. Whatcha gonna do? I'm hoping you've actually addressed this issue with her. If this is just one of those things - like people who leave cabinet doors open even with repeated "talks" - I think you'll have to stick with p&b sandwiches or meals that can be put in the oven with a REALLY loud timer to alert you when they're ready.

Your kids are studying, so obviously they're getting brain food from somewhere.

We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I just hope she's not demolishing All-Clad or some good cookware.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:07 PM

My word, you are married to a scatterbrain. Otherwise, you must have 10 kids, 5 dogs, 3 pigs, 6 horses, a home business, a cord of wood to chop, and a senile MIL who lives with you that keeps her preoccupied.

Honestly, I don't know what to tell you. I really have never known anyone who is a consistent disaster. I'm laughing, but I know this is serious to you. You are right to be concerned about your home and kids.

What does she say she's doing while things are boiling over?

Old 09-21-2007, 12:09 PM

786 posts, read 1,176,266 times
Count your blessings. The only thing my wife makes is a frozen pizza perhaps a couple of times a week. And then I have to clean up that mess when I come home from work.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:11 PM

Cookware can be replaced....yes actually its some stuff I had to drive to knoxville to buy, stainless steel with 1/2 inch copper bottoms but thats just stuff. She has this way about her where it sort of reminds me of Gilda Radner saying "never Mind" on SNL. It kills me!

Old 09-21-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuke View Post
Count your blessings. The only thing my wife makes is a frozen pizza perhaps a couple of times a week. And then I have to clean up that mess when I come home from work.
I'm so sorry. I'm laughing here too. Your wives must have missed the home economics classes at school.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
My word, you are married to a scatterbrain. Otherwise, you must have 10 kids, 5 dogs, 3 pigs, 6 horses, a home business, a cord of wood to chop, and a senile MIL who lives with you that keeps her preoccupied.

Honestly, I don't know what to tell you. I really have never known anyone who is a consistent disaster. I'm laughing, but I know this is serious to you. You are right to be concerned about your home and kids.

What does she say she's doing while things are boiling over?
She does'nt make excuses, its like she just told me that I got a letter in the mail....so weird, i'm like theres no way we are sleeping here tonight, lets get a motel and shes got this blank stare on her face.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Cookware can be replaced....yes actually its some stuff I had to drive to knoxville to buy, stainless steel with 1/2 inch copper bottoms but thats just stuff. She has this way about her where it sort of reminds me of Gilda Radner saying "never Mind" on SNL. It kills me!
Your comments are sweet about your wife. Perhaps if you could convince her to keep a timer in her pocket or near her when she's having these cooking moments. Set the timer for 15 minutes, when it goes off, check the kitchen to make sure it's not burning down. She obviously needs some sort of a reminder that she is doing something in the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships