U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 AM

14,082 posts, read 15,294,388 times

Advertisements

I don't know, maybe I just have too much time on my hands or something, but I feel like my habit of Googling my romantic interests is getting out of control. I feel like a stalker. It's like, I find one thing and then that leads me to find something else and then I feel guilty because I know I shouldn't be snooping, but it's all out there and I just can't help myself!

I'm seriously not trying to invade their privacy, but there's so much public information out there (no, I'm not paying for background checks for anything), and it just boggles my mind the things that you can just find out online these days by doing a simple search, and now I'm addicted to finding out about everything!

Is there hope for me? Does anyone else have a similar issue?

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 10:51 AM

16,409 posts, read 29,219,737 times
There was even an episode of How I Met Your Mother about this, you're definitely not the only one

Old 05-28-2012, 10:55 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,637,416 times
If you're not paying for background checks then what could you possibly find out from google? What? their phone #, address maybe where they worked?

What can a person find out by having their drivers license? and how? that is where I think most information would be.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:04 AM

14,082 posts, read 15,294,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
If you're not paying for background checks then what could you possibly find out from google? What? their phone #, address maybe where they worked?
Yeah, if I find out their address then I can find out when they bought their house, how much it sold for, how many bedrooms, property taxes, whether they live with other people, relatives, etc. I don't really need to know all that, but the information is out there.

Quote:
What can a person find out by having their drivers license? and how? that is where I think most information would be.
I've found traffic records before, like speeding tickets and stuff like that. I didn't need their license number to find it though.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:12 AM

15,017 posts, read 20,209,579 times
Yeah, stop that. It does sound like something that stems from time on your hands. Spend time with them instead.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:20 AM

16,409 posts, read 29,219,737 times
Or just try googling other things. I'm a compulsive googler myself but it's kind of fun because I just google all kinds of things and try and learn stuff. Majority of it is all useless information but you never know when that random fact will help you out.

One time I googled a girl and actually found her address, I said heck no I'm never doing this again. I was simply trying to find her facebook, but there is WAY too much information on the internet.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:26 AM

545 posts, read 866,530 times
I google to my hearts content You can find lots of interesting tidbits on romantic interests especially if you have and email address. If it's out there, what's the harm? Hey they might be doing the same thing to you

Old 05-28-2012, 11:30 AM

378 posts, read 1,148,337 times
Why stop? What if you google someone and find out they had a record? Happened to me once, I found out someone I had a date with had been arrested for stealing someone's credit card number. Dropped him fast! You have to be careful out there and google is an excellent resource.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:30 AM

688 posts, read 849,677 times
I'd rather the person ask me if they had any questions. No need to spend your free time googling me, unless you have absolutely nothing better to do..

Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 AM

3,352 posts, read 7,925,276 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with what you're doing, it's very common. Look at the people on FB obsessively looking up old HS loves or crushes. As long as you're not paying money for info, driving by their houses or phoning them (just to hear their voices) and hanging up, what's the problem? Many people I work with confess to doing this. I also have Googled old teachers or friends and see no harm in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships