Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 04:33 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,467,122 times

Advertisements

I haven't read but maybe a dozen posts in this thread, but nobody here thinks these men are successful BECAUSE of their wives. I straight up admit that I would never have been able to make the career leaps that I did without her help and support. No way. I'd be stuck in the same crappy $65,000 a year rut I was 3 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 04:46 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,581,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
I haven't read but maybe a dozen posts in this thread, but nobody here thinks these men are successful BECAUSE of their wives. I straight up admit that I would never have been able to make the career leaps that I did without her help and support. No way. I'd be stuck in the same crappy $65,000 a year rut I was 3 years ago.
mmh... it puts the mind at ease.

I personally did way better in school when I had a booty-call. It's easier to focus on school, work and whatnot when I don't have to look for eligible p|_|ssy everywhere I go.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:47 PM

460 posts, read 671,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
Yup! I said that and so did a few other people.

Kudos to you for being man enough to credit your marriage to some extent. Good wives are an asset to their husbands. Bad wives are horrible for men. The men on here seem to think that all women are the terrible variety of wife.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:55 PM

37,565 posts, read 45,928,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
No, I just know how much is out here to be explored and it's nearly impossible to do that when you're married. People are living into their 80s these days so getting married in your 20s or even 30s seems ridiculous to me; especially when you're successful and have many options.
"Living into their 80s" doesn't mean that those people want to spent their later years raising kids. You ever hear the phrase "enjoying the golden years"?? Yeesh. I really think that by the time people reach their 60's, most would like to be working on retirement...not dealing with college tuition. Nothing wrong with getting married later, but make sure that you and your intended have no desire for children.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:56 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,178,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
1. All that stuff about married men being healthier solely because they are married is hogwash. Your health has virtually everything to do with your genetics, your diet, your level/frequency of exercise, having access to high quality doctors when needed, how often you're exposed to toxic substances, and making sure you get an annual physical to make sure everything is okay, so clearly, there are other factors involved that have nothing to do with the institution of marriage.
Incorrect. Women encourage and keep tract of their husband's health, diet, and medical appointments. Women by and large do the cooking in the home. They create the diets their husband's have. You can read about it here. When you're married there is someone there in case something happens to get you medical attention. And women tend to play a significant role in getting their husband's to the dentist and doctor for regular checkups. For example..."Relationship researchers have long known that marriage is associated with better health, particularly for men. One reason is that wives often take on the role of caregiver, setting up doctor appointments and reminding, even nagging, their husbands to go."

Relationship researchers have long known this. Apparently you have not.

Quote:
2. So a guy should get married so he can get promoted more often at work? lol That's a terrible reason to marry. Even if you make the argument that he'll make more money, promotions usually come with more responsiblities and more stress and it's not like he gets to use the extra money to buy a new BMW; it likely goes to his family to pay everyday expenses.
I didn't read that from her post. That's not why a man should marry. There are no generic reasons why anyone should marry and not everyone is meant for marriage. The point, and cwamjn touched upon this, is that married people are financially wealthier and experience greater career success. I bet cwamjn is right here. Spouses definitely play a role in the success of their partners.

Quote:
5. Most guys rarely benefit from being married. As I explained before, any promotions, which usually result in increased stress and responsiblities, just result in his family having some more money to spend, not necessarily him. Also, if there is a divorce, 98% of the time the guy ends up the loser, not the winner. I can find you plenty of examples, if necessary.
What you're saying here is incorrect and largely ignorant. And you won't find any legitimate examples for a number of reasons.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:00 PM

37,565 posts, read 45,928,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You're right, it doesn't have to do with the institution of marriage, but it does have to do with the fact that plenty of single men do not go to the doctor regularly if at all and don't eat well. Women are generally more on top of health and diet for themselves, so when they are married they make sure that their husbands aren't washing down Doritos with Mountain Dew and ignoring that pain in their stomachs.
Exactly. My SO is getting his first colonoscopy only because I have pushed him to do it. He's also getting his first physical in many years because...yep...I'm putting my foot down. As far as his diet - he is very neglectful. I have made a huge difference in how well he eats...and I make him take his vitamins too.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:01 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,178,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You're right, it doesn't have to do with the institution of marriage, but it does have to do with the fact that plenty of single men do not go to the doctor regularly if at all and don't eat well. Women are generally more on top of health and diet for themselves, so when they are married they make sure that their husbands aren't washing down Doritos with Mountain Dew and ignoring that pain in their stomachs.
No way fleetie. What you're saying has everything to do with marriage.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:09 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,918,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Incorrect. Women encourage and keep tract of their husband's health, diet, and medical appointments. Women by and large do the cooking in the home. They create the diets their husband's have. You can read about it here. When you're married there is someone there in case something happens to get you medical attention. And women tend to play a significant role in getting their husband's to the dentist and doctor for regular checkups. For example..."Relationship researchers have long known that marriage is associated with better health, particularly for men. One reason is that wives often take on the role of caregiver, setting up doctor appointments and reminding, even nagging, their husbands to go."
LOL This is absolutely ridiculous. Sure, if a guy is highly irresponsible, then yes, I guess he'll need his wife to force him to take care of himself (like an 8 year old). However, for guys who are already health conscious, having a wife doesn't help in this area.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:18 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,918,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I didn't read that from her post. That's not why a man should marry. There are no generic reasons why anyone should marry and not everyone is meant for marriage. The point, and cwamjn touched upon this, is that married people are financially wealthier and experience greater career success. I bet cwamjn is right here. Spouses definitely play a role in the success of their partners.
First of all, becoming financially well off is about you as an invidual; not your maritial status. If you're determined to become well off, it'll happen because of the value you add to a company or can produce for your own business, not because you just happen to be married. Sure, I guess if you're not all that good at what you do, then yes, you'll need every edge you can get and perhaps being married will help. Second, they really aren't wealthier. While a married couple may have a higher income, that income gets split up amongst the two people AND any kids they may have which means expenses, expenses, and more EXPENSES. So a family of four with a $160k income is actually worse off than the single guy making $85k.

As far as married people having greater career success, a lot of that has to do with the fact that married people have others they are supporting so they HAVE to produce at work or risk getting fired or laid off, thus having their family suffer. A single guy only has to worry about himself.

Last edited by bicoastal10; 05-30-2012 at 05:40 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 05:24 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,151,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
First of all, becoming financially well off is about you as an invidual; not your maritial status. If you're determined to become well off, it'll happen because of the value you add to a company or can produce for your own business, not because you just happen to be married. Sure, I guess if you're not all that good at what you do, then yes, you'll need every edge you can get and perhaps being married will help. Second, they really aren't wealthier. While a married couple may have a higher income, that income gets split up amongst the two people AND any kids they may have which means expenses, expenses, and more EXPENSES. So a family of four with a $160k income is actually worse off than the single guy making $85k.
You're missing the point. But that's okay. The point is that most people are more grounded and emotionally balanced when they have someone to talk to, to lean on, to get through things with - and that often leads to them being more successful in all areas of life. Also - it's a lot easier believing that you are capable of great things when you have someone at your side that believes it, too. I know my husband and I believe in each other and support each other - and that has helped us both to no end.

Do you need to be married to be successful? Of course not. Does having someone by your side sometimes help to catapult your career? Yes.

Ultimately - the point of all this is that if you meet the right person - you WANT to spend the rest of your life with them. If you don't meet the right person - you shouldn't get married just for the sake of getting married. But if you do meet the right person - it's silly to let fear prevent you from happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships