Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 10:17 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
One can find enjoyment in video games....how do they provide reciprocal love though?
Video games and other hobbies including sports can deliver enjoyment, and can be a highly stimulating and rewarding part of people's lives. Advancements in technology have enabled video games to be fully interactive, replete with friend/networking circles, and online groups. However, as I stated previously, its all in how you view your relationships - if you view your relationships as worthless and loveless because they do or dont fit a certain mold, then they will be worthless. Likewise, if you invest in your relationships and build common bonds with people who share common interests with you, love shouldnt be that hard to find...even outside of marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 10:18 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Law depends on what specialty you go into. Public defenders make squat. There are some remarkably low-paying fields in law. Pharmacists don't make that much either.
60K isn't "successful" (high-end) if you consider raising a family on that. It's great if you're single.
Where I live, pharmacists in chains start out at $90K. As well, PharmDs make huge money in the pharmaceutical drug industry.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
The whole thread started by basically putting others down who chose to marry earlier than they thought desirable....are you going to address that part of the thread?

That wasn't Dissenter, that was someone else, wasn't it?

I just reread the OP, and I didn't see anyone putting anyone else down. Would you mind quoting what you are referring to?

Old 05-31-2012, 10:24 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Where I live, pharmacists in chains start out at $90K. As well, PharmDs make huge money in the pharmaceutical drug industry.
I wouldnt say "huge" money, but you're right, they get payed very very well. Its nothing for a PharmD to start at 6 figures, particularly in retail pharmacies...and thats pretty much irrespective of location. Those people you see bagging your snickers bar when you pick up your prescription are making at least 6 figures typically. Hospital pharmacists may not make a whole lot, but they aint starving either, by a long shot.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 AM

460 posts, read 671,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Its a discussion board, this is what we do - talk about stuff. Shouldnt take it so personal. If yopu want to be real honest about this topic, you would admit that social pressures work normaly one way and not the other. Seemingly happy and content singles in their 30s or 40s, are constantly bombarded with questions like "whats wrong with you? or Are you gay?" type of nonsense by their relatives and friends. Very rarely does it work the other way. I am happy this thread exists, because maybe some can at least get a little taste of their own medicine. And obviously im speaking of our society in general and not any specific poster in this thread.
I'm not taking it personal, and I am aware of the purpose of a message board. I don't know why you read that tone from my post.

You are the one who is seemingly taking it personal. Based on your thread, you say you're bombarded with pressure to marry and are feeling resentful for it. Hence the "taste of their own medicine" bit.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post

A smart woman will LOCK a good man down EARLY and find a way to get him and keep him. Remember Aidan from "Sex and the City"? Carrie didnt realize what a good catch she had until she ran into him years later on teh street, he was happily married with a baby on his back...Her loss was another woman's gain. Look at Mark Zuckerberg and his wife. They actually broke up for a while after Zuckerberg left Harvard and moved to CA. He dated other women..And he wanted to see her again, and she clearly made up rules about when/where he could see her because she knew he was going places, and that here was a man whom she had a quality relationship with, and who would be considered a majorly hot asset to future gold diggin' women everywhere else....and if he wanted to go places, she was going to LOCK HIM DOWN when both of them were at a great age to become parents.
LegalDiva, you have great insights, but if I ran into someone like the woman in the italics, there is no way in hell I'd pursue a relationship with her. She makes up rules about when and where he can see her? Not interested.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 AM

652 posts, read 1,052,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Video games and other hobbies including sports can deliver enjoyment, and can be a highly stimulating and rewarding part of people's lives. Advancements in technology have enabled video games to be fully interactive, replete with friend/networking circles, and online groups. However, as I stated previously, its all in how you view your relationships - if you view your relationships as worthless and loveless because they do or dont fit a certain mold, then they will be worthless. Likewise, if you invest in your relationships and build common bonds with people who share common interests with you, love shouldnt be that hard to find...even outside of marriage.
I just disagree with your use of the word reciprocal love. My son plays videogames in a networking circle. Are they enjoyable...sure, do random strangers provide reciprocal love...no they do not.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I wouldnt say "huge" money, but you're right, they get payed very very well. Its nothing for a PharmD to start at 6 figures, particularly in retail pharmacies...and thats pretty much irrespective of location. Those people you see bagging your snickers bar when you pick up your prescription are making at least 6 figures typically. Hospital pharmacists may not make a whole lot, but they aint starving either, by a long shot.
There is a PharmD at my local Wegmans who basically is the woman of my dreams...........but I don't think my wife would approve of our relationship.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:30 AM

652 posts, read 1,052,652 times
Quote:
Usually the pharm techs(or pharmacy students) are doing the bulk of interaction with customers at the pharmacy counter. Unless I have a new prescription I rarely see the pharmacist.

PharmDs make a lot of money. I'd imagine they also graduate with a fair amount of debt. Going to pharmacy school is a long program.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:31 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
YAWN. All the married people in this thread, sound like a buncha duped consumers who just bought "the top of the shelf" BOSE sound system, and claim how great it is, despite facts staring them straight in the face that its possibly the worst buy in home audio and sounds like garbage. There are plenty of people who are single and happy. Not everyone wants to get bogged down with changing diapers and signing their wife away due to some outdated ritual. We arent all sheep, you see. There are no guarantees in life, so live it the way it makes sense for you. Having a cookie cutter house in the burbs and 2.3 kids, isnt everyones idea of great life. WE ALL KNOW that the social pressures on this subject come towards those who remain single rather than the other way around. Think with your own brain, dont be a sheep. Thanks.
Quote:
Its a discussion board, this is what we do - talk about stuff. Shouldnt take it so personal. If yopu want to be real honest about this topic, you would admit that social pressures work normaly one way and not the other. Seemingly happy and content singles in their 30s or 40s, are constantly bombarded with questions like "whats wrong with you? or Are you gay?" type of nonsense by their relatives and friends. Very rarely does it work the other way. I am happy this thread exists, because maybe some can at least get a little taste of their own medicine. And obviously im speaking of our society in general and not any specific poster in this thread.
If you want to talk about society in general - that's fine. But saying that "all the married people on this thread sound like a buncha duped customers" is not the way to go about that.

If you are upset that people are pressuring you and you feel like you need to lash out at married people to make you feel better - that's fine. The things is - marriage isn't for everyone and I don't think that all people are really capable of that kind of love. My grandfather was married 3 times and I think the only person he truly ever loved was himself. I'd say he never should have married but then I would never have been born!

I also think that there are some people that desperately want love and never find it - and my heart goes out to them. And then there are those that find it and abuse it. The world is made up of all different types of people and we all have our own paths to happiness. But the question was why do successful men marry young - and I am putting forth my opinion on the subject. Other people seem to just want to put down married people or supply reasons why marriage sucks - which might make them feel better but really isn't answering the question.

And I've said this before - you don't need to be officially married in order to have a life partner - but this thread was about marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships