Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 05:26 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post

It's not about "playing the field," it's about the having the freedom to do as you please along with taking up hobbies (i.e, learning a new language, traveling) that greatly aids in personal development. As a man, you simply can't do these these things when you're married.

See. This right here is the great lie perpetuated by confirmed bachelors in order to make their married friends feel bad and make themselves feel better.

I can't think of one thing I can't do or haven't done because I am married. Drive cool cars? Travel? Climb a mountain? Drink? Hang out with friends? Get a dog? Motorcycle? Martial arts? Volunteer?

And I can do these things myself OR, better yet, I have someone cool and fun to do all this stuff with!!!!!!

I have plenty of married male friends who meet each other for golf several times a week, go out for guys' dinner, go fishing, go camping, go look at cool cars, go riding.

So I don't know what weird world you are getting this 'you can't do crap once you're married' paradigm, but it's completely off base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 05:27 PM

52,257 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
It don't count as America's definition of success. America defines success by money. I don't have a lot of it so America does not consider me or the working class successful.

I consider myself successful. I'm a young black male in my early 20s with a college degree, a job, and no criminal record. America and some here may not consider me much but I don't give a .
I just went to my nephews college graduation. I looked him in the eye and told him good job. I was proud of him, he's doing all the right stuff, and if I knew you..I would do the same.

Good job and keep your head up.... there are many definitions of what is success. Don't pay attention to the media and all the BS that you see around you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I suggest you stop defining yourself by what "America and some here" may think and define success on your own terms. You sound like a winner to me, time to accept it and act like it. And if I am right, money will follow as you gain experience. Trust me on this.
Yep...... I agree.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:06 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I'm not a good man then lol.
I didn't mean that ALL the good men were snatched up!

Old 06-02-2012, 06:11 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I didn't mean that ALL the good men were snatched up!
It's OK hon. I'm starting to see things much differently now.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:25 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
It's OK hon. I'm starting to see things much differently now.
Like how?

Old 06-02-2012, 06:34 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Like how?
Well that's a very long discussion. I don't know if I really want to go into it.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:12 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
I can sort of understand why average guys get married in their 20s and 30s, but why do so many guys who are or will likely be highly successful (top law school students, med students, Wall Street guys, successful entrepreneurs, etc) marry in their 20s and 30s?

I understand if a guy wants to start a family one day, but wouldn't it be better to finish school, start making some serious money (6 figures), enjoy the bachelor life while making 6 figures for a good 10 years, THEN look to settle down around 40 to a woman who is around the age of 30? I'm just wondering because I know so many guys who worked very hard to put themselves in a great financial position, but got married/engaged prior to making excellent money and pretty much missed out on everything that comes with being a highly successful, single guy. I just don't understand why so many guys do this to themselves.

Can someone please explain this insanity?
In the business world, a man with a family is seen as more reliable and it's assumed he'll work harder because he has a family to support. You will also find that successful men often have wives who stay home for the same reason. It makes him look responsible and the assumption is he'll do what he has to to keep his job. The assumption may be right or wrong but it's there.

Having a family is just part of the image.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:06 PM

566 posts, read 958,262 times
Quote:
You know why these guys do it? It's because in American society being married is considered part of the process of being "successful."

In other words, getting married in addition to establishing a good career is part of the rites of passage that has been laid out in American culture.

Another serious issue that I have observed is that Western men have a hard time living alone. I have met numerous grown men who can't seem to function without a woman living with them.
Please explain how being married is part of being successful. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, can get married so I'm not sure how that's part of being successful. Even my loser cousin who can't seem to hold a job for more than 5 months is married.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:58 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
Quote:
OOOOOOOOH! Cheaper insurance because you're married. WOW! Sign me up for marriage!!!!

Hay legal "diva", if I wanted cheaper insurance I would just buy a CHEAPER car like a Toyota vs a BMW.

But BY FAR most of the murders are due to romantic relationships gone sour. Also, men die early because they work themselves to the bone in stressful jobs to take care of their families.

#1: even with a beat up Toyota, your rate would be cheaper.

#2: do you have studies or any links to back up your statement that "men die because of being overworked ?". Sounds to me like you are talking out of your rear end.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:00 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I just went to my nephews college graduation. I looked him in the eye and told him good job. I was proud of him, he's doing all the right stuff, and if I knew you..I would do the same.

Good job and keep your head up.... there are many definitions of what is success. Don't pay attention to the media and all the BS that you see around you....

Yep...... I agree.
As Chris Rock once said in one of his comedy sketches, "You're not SUPPOSED TO HAVE A CRIMINAL RECORD YOU DUMB-#%%!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships