Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:40 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaindrive View Post
Why do you think you shouldn't be waiting? I'm not sure how well you can know someone after seven months. And you mentioned that you both started talking about it at five months.
I'm not sure either, hence the question. My friends and coworkers like him and they ask when it's going to happen; we are middle aged with established careers and financial stabillity. We are professionals and at the top of our careers. There won't be more children and his first is in college and the youngest is a teen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaindrive View Post
And will it matter if something happens with his job?
Not really. Financially it won't matter. Even if his salary is cut he will be fine. He only has a few more years to retirement. He could work three more years after that if he wanted or he could do something else. The worst thing would be that he would have to commute to another city to go to work. He is a captain at a major airline; we are waiting to see what it's reoganization will bring--commuting, loss of pay, possible move back to first officer. Those would be the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 10:51 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
we are middle aged with established careers and financial stabillity.

...his is a bit up in the air right now; he won't lose his job but it might change soon because the company is in bankruptcy. If it gets bought out he may have to commute and/or be demoted.

Financially it won't matter.
Even if his salary is cut he will be fine.
He only has a few more years to retirement.
I'll suggest that you need to focus on common definitions of what phrases like "financial stability" and "top of career" mean.
And even if it appears that it won't matter (once the reality is known)...
let me assure you as a middle aged man that while being in situation X vs Y may be sorted out emotionally
once he is there... not knowing if his situation is X or Y matters a lot.

Putting a legal status and responsibility change (like marriage) into the middle of this
is like throwing a stick of dynamite. The romance aspect is the LEAST of it.

One bridge at a time.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
So what do you stand to gain by marring sooner than later - other than paying less for rent?
I don't know that we gain anything but time. We both decided that I have to go home at night. We need to be a model for his kids.

Actually rent isn't an issue, maybe the opposite. We both own our homes; selling one in this market isn't a joyful prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
First, you should let him pick the time and place. Don't rush, don't worry, just enjoy living life. Second, seven months is too short a time to discover and come to terms with the less attractive traits you and your partner each have. Give it a year and a half, at least. Some people recommend three years...it's strangely consistent.
He is actually the one who started this discussion, which makes it harder for me. I actually like the fact that we can share our feelings. I don't know that I feel comfortable that we opened the box on this discussion so to speak, but it's open. I am thinking of telling him let's put the lid on it untill the puppy's birthday. (His daughter's puppy was born the day we met. )

Old 06-03-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Seven months isn't very long.
You've talked about it.
Let it percolate.

Go read all the relationship books, do all the quizzes, get to know his friends and family REALLY well...you're still in the honeymoon phase. Give it a couple of years to really get to know him.
I agree. I have begun reading those books and am ready to hand them to him. I think he has a lot more at stake than I do at this point.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
Be clear: YOU are not sure you should be waiting, he is evidently sure you should be waiting because he has not popped the actual question yet.
I am not even sure we should have started talking about it at all...I don't know if we can talk about it for months or years and do nothing...I am not sure if we could have a long engagement or just keep the status quo.

Quote:
Advice: Stop spending "all your free time at his house." Find things to do with that time that don't involve him. Give him some space.
Maybe I exaggerated a bit there--I work long hours, I have a regular workout schedule, I go out with my friends every week. He travels on his job, spends time with his children, goes to their school events. He spends time with his friends and on his hobbies. I go to his house for dinner during the week and always go home at night.
Quote:
Sorry to say this, but you sound a bit stalkerish/desperate, as in 'new girlfriend already measuring the drapes.'
I didn't start the discussion but I didn't say it was too early either. I have my own home with drapes I picked out.

I have been divorced for over ten years with dating before I met him.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'll suggest that you need to focus on common definitions of what phrases like "financial stability" and "top of career" mean.
And even if it appears that it won't matter (once the reality is known)...
let me assure you as a middle aged man that while being in situation X vs Y may be sorted out emotionally
once he is there... not knowing if his situation is X or Y matters a lot.

Putting a legal status and responsibility change (like marriage) into the middle of this
is like throwing a stick of dynamite. The romance aspect is the LEAST of it.

One bridge at a time.
Do you think that is why all of this has come up? Something else for him to think about instead of ruminating on all the work stuff? It is hard to be in that situation I think. To me that makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

Old 06-03-2012, 12:37 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,414 times
I don't think anyone can answer that question except you two. Everyone has their ideas, but there's no real timetable: when two people are ready, they're ready.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:26 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
It is difficult to have perspective when you have met someone you like. This does not sound ideal to me...and I recommend some caution here. Why?
1. He may be seeking some financial stability with his job issues....he is at an age where finding employment is not a given. He may see you as a pretty good deal.

Of course, step daughters....been there...done that. It is like Hell that never ends. Believe me, the little angels change...this is more drama....think very carefully about this.

You are financially secure...why do you want to marry him?I think another year won't hurt.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is difficult to have perspective when you have met someone you like. This does not sound ideal to me...and I recommend some caution here. Why?
1. He may be seeking some financial stability with his job issues....he is at an age where finding employment is not a given. He may see you as a pretty good deal.
I don't think so. He won't lose his job or his income, plus he has other income from property and investments.

Quote:
Of course, step daughters....been there...done that. It is like Hell that never ends. Believe me, the little angels change...this is more drama....think very carefully about this.
You may be right here. Right now we have a good relationship and I would like that to continue. I want their feelings to be considered and share in their lives, too.
Quote:
You are financially secure...why do you want to marry him?I think another year won't hurt.
It isn't about finances. I am very fortunate in that regard. I love him and want his companionship.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:28 PM

150 posts, read 250,892 times
Quote:
Be clear: YOU are not sure you should be waiting, he is evidently sure you should be waiting because he has not popped the actual question yet.
^^^This. Really, it's not your decision if and when to pop the question, unless you want to risk being non-traditional, then u will surely get your answer.

And at 7mos? Heck, I wouldn't even think about seriously popping the question until I've been with someone at least a year and a half. All his talk about marriage is just assessing compatibility and possible long term plans.

btw, your anxiousness is a total turn off, i.e., possibly making your situation worse. stop obsessing about it and enjoy just being with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships