Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:04 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Say you are deciding to go on a cruise vacation and want to take your girlfriend... she cannot afford it but you figure you will take her along since you do like her company. However, since now you are going to absorb the cost of 2 instead of one, to save money you opt for the less expensive inside room (no windows), you figure it's a good compromise.

You announce the surprise vacation to your GF, she is happy but not too thrilled about the inside room and complains about it...says you should go for the more expensive window rooms since she knows you can afford it.

How would you feel about it?
I would feel like I really f*cked up maintaining my relationship.

I would never allow myself to be in a relationship with a girl, or reach the point in a relationship with a girl, who when presented with an amazing cruise ship vacation, FREE and paid for by me, would complain about it.

That would be a quick deal-breaker. I would just invite some other appreciative chick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 11:18 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,525 times
Quote:
Say you are deciding to go on a cruise vacation and want to take your girlfriend... she cannot afford it but you figure you will take her along since you do like her company. However, since now you are going to absorb the cost of 2 instead of one, to save money you opt for the less expensive inside room (no windows), you figure it's a good compromise.

You announce the surprise vacation to your GF, she is happy but not too thrilled about the inside room and complains about it...says you should go for the more expensive window rooms since she knows you can afford it.

Time to find another girlfriend - this time, someone who appreciates your thoughtfulness and who you are.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:29 PM

494 posts, read 1,917,043 times
So let me put this question out there ..it's hypothetical, if you offered to take your SO on vac but booked the Motel 6 and he/she refused to stay in such a low class hotel would you think it's a compatibility issue?

Old 06-06-2012, 03:46 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
yes - I definitely would think it's a compatibility issue. Look, I'm at a point in my life where I want/expect some conveniences. And sorry, but a motel 6 doesn't have what I want - no coffee in the lobby 24/7, for one. However, the only difference between an inside stateroom and an outside is porthole. Service is the same, amenities are the same, bedding is the same. So your comparison doesn't work (for me).

Now, I'm not so stuck up that if Motel 6 is all there is, then that's where we'll stay.

(BTW, I'm not a Crowne Plaza kind of gal - I actually don't like that hoity-toity nonsense.)

Old 06-06-2012, 03:49 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,158 times
It would run deeper than just a motel issue. Why wouldn't the person booking the Motel 6 discuss lodging arrangements beforehand? Yes it's low class, but it's not only that - it's also a lot dirtier and probably in a less safe neighborhood than classier hotels. Cleanliness and safety are two things I will always pay for.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:27 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,538 times
If I couldn't afford to go on a cruise, and a guy said "I'll pay for it but we have to have an inside cabin", I would say no thank-you and suggest an inexpensive beach weekend or something similar. I abhor inside cabins (kind of a claustrophobia thing) and if it was a choice between staying in one, or staying home, I would stay home. If I couldn't afford to at least pay for the upgrade to an oceanview, again, I would decline the invite. There are more expenses on a cruise than just the cruise fare too. Sure, you can travel cheap but it's more fun to be able to take a few shore excursions, buy a few drinks, a nice dinner in one of the "specialty" restaurants on board if you're on certain cruise lines.

I went on a cruise with a guy a while ago. When we first started discussing it I told him that all I could afford would be an outside cabin. The end result was a mini-suite that he paid for. In turn I paid for all the shore excursions for both of us, plus one fancy schmancy dinner on board ($190). In the end, he paid more overall but I think I certainly contributed my fair share to the trip.

I wouldn't stay at a Motel 6 either

Old 06-07-2012, 09:22 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times
Quote:

I would feel she is ungrateful. This would also lead me to wonder if she is an entitlist who would take me for granted in the future. Not many people get a free vacation handed to them.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
I'd dump her.

If I did something very nice and she responds with..." I don't like the inside of the room...why do we have to stay in a room like that??" instead of "WOw....that was so nice of you!! The room doesn't matter as long as I'm with you and I'm sure we'll have a memorable time! Now, since you've been so nice, I think I'll make you your favorite dish for dinner "
Yep. This is how a real awesome woman behaves. What this guy has is a selfish girl...

Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
I still think it has a bit to do with the approach. If a guy I was dating said, "grab your coat--I'm taking you out to dinner!" and then he proceeds to drive us to McDonalds, I don't think being a bit disappointed is necessarily being ungrateful. Had he said, "let's go get a burger," I'd know better what to expect.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
So let me put this question out there ..it's hypothetical, if you offered to take your SO on vac but booked the Motel 6 and he/she refused to stay in such a low class hotel would you think it's a compatibility issue?
Partly, yes. If you are booking at Motel 6 to see how she will react, then you would be baiting her, and that is on you. But if Motel 6 is your idea of a good place, and if it's the place you can afford, then do so. If she complains, I would still dump her and find someone who cares more about you than where she rests her head at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships