Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 09:32 AM

146 posts, read 244,346 times

Advertisements

I would dump her, then I would seek counseling to see how I could have ever been in a relationship that long with a person of that character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 09:36 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Allen 242 View Post
Invite her to pay for the upgrade...it could be the matter-of-fact way that you wrote it but she sounds ungrateful.

Agree 100%. If someone is offering to take you on vacation with them, and pick up the tab, they should be grateful enough to say thank you and go with the plan with zero complaints. If they have complaints, they should not go. Sheesh !!! When you're on a cruise, you don't even spend that much time in the room -

You mention you like her company, but is it you love her, or she's more of a companion for the trip? If that's the case I'd say, "If you don't want to go, that's fine" and I'd invite a single friend. Hell! I work FT, go to college PT, and haven't been on a vacation in the past 2 years, and it will be at least another 3 years before I can go on vacation, or afford to. I'll go, and trust me, I'll be very grateful ...

Cruises are a BLAST !!!!

Old 06-07-2012, 01:35 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter1967 View Post
I would dump her, then I would seek counseling to see how I could have ever been in a relationship that long with a person of that character.
Lol yup I agree.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:27 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,167,439 times
what an ungrateful *****

Old 06-07-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think sitting down and talking about one's feelings has to be the most overrated move in the history of relationships.

In a situation like this, you don't talk about your feelings. You simply say, "Really? REALLY? I manage to scrimp and save to do something nice for the both of us and you nitpick the accommodations? Fine. We won't go at all. I'm canceling the trip."

That should solve the problem once and for all.

exactly

Old 06-07-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I still think it has a bit to do with the approach. If a guy I was dating said, "grab your coat--I'm taking you out to dinner!" and then he proceeds to drive us to McDonalds, I don't think being a bit disappointed is necessarily being ungrateful. Had he said, "let's go get a burger," I'd know better what to expect.
oh please dont even compare paying for a cruise to paying for mcdonalds

Old 06-08-2012, 12:03 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
I agree, it just isn't the same.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:51 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Say you are deciding to go on a cruise vacation and want to take your girlfriend... she cannot afford it but you figure you will take her along since you do like her company. However, since now you are going to absorb the cost of 2 instead of one, to save money you opt for the less expensive inside room (no windows), you figure it's a good compromise.

You announce the surprise vacation to your GF, she is happy but not too thrilled about the inside room and complains about it...says you should go for the more expensive window rooms since she knows you can afford it.

How would you feel about it?
You have been dropping the "hypothetical" scenarios, makes me wonder if these are real situations or if you are just trying to feel things out. Or perhaps you are just curious.

I've been there, done that, and felt like a sucker in the end.

But, you wrote that she is happy about the cruise, which does show some appreciation. Without being there, or knowing her, it is impossible to tell if her reaction was just a temporary let down due to built up anticipation, or if she was showing some sort of real animosity towards the windowless room.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:58 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
So the GF should automatically like the cruise? It was a surprise, was it not? Look, if you are going to surprise someone with a big ticket item, you better damn well be sure that you know it will be appreciated or you better be willing to accept, and deal with, the let down.

No one forced the OP to do it.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:17 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
So the GF should automatically like the cruise? It was a surprise, was it not? Look, if you are going to surprise someone with a big ticket item, you better damn well be sure that you know it will be appreciated or you better be willing to accept, and deal with, the let down.

No one forced the OP to do it.
She doesn't have to like it but she has to act like she does. It is an invitation to a free all expenses paid vacation for God sakes. If you don't like it find an excuse not to go but don't criticize it and say that it isn't enough or up to your standards. That is being unappreciative and rude especially when she can't afford any cruise to begin with. Thats like getting a Porsche as a gift and complaining that it isn't a turbo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships