Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 AM

782 posts, read 1,086,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I think a big problem is many people today have no reference of what a marriage or what a family life should consist of because divorce is the norm. A boy can't learn what it is to be a husband from his mother and a girl can't learn what it is to be a wife from a man.

Something I found odd was I heard in the Asian community there is a rift between the men and women. Yes I know there are Asian Americans but i'm sure most people understand what I was trying to say..
Rift between men and women in 'Asian community' ???
ummmm........ not sure what 'community' you are talking about. Are you referring to 'westernized' Asians in general? Not all Asian cultures are alike.

However, you do make a valid point regarding kids from divorced parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I think a big problem is many people today have no reference of what a marriage or what a family life should consist of because divorce is the norm. A boy can't learn what it is to be a husband from his mother and a girl can't learn what it is to be a wife from a man.

Something I found odd was I heard in the Asian community there is a rift between the men and women. Yes I know there are Asian Americans but i'm sure most people understand what I was trying to say..
But a parent cant teach you how to be a good wife or a good husband. There is no one recipe for that. If there were we wouldnt need our mothers or fathers to teach it to us. A parent can try to teach you how to be honest, compasionate, faithful, and productive, among other things. We also learn team work and social skills thru life experiences. None of this will guarentee a successful marriage.

I agree that each generation has a different perception of marriage and family life. Who is to say what is good or bad. Its different and seems bad if it is not ones own idea of what it should be.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:22 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
Or no legal means to escape a good and loving partner.
Why would one want to escape a good loving partner?

Old 06-05-2012, 11:24 AM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
Rift between men and women in 'Asian community' ???
ummmm........ not sure what 'community' you are talking about. Are you referring to 'westernized' Asians in general? Not all Asian cultures are alike.

However, you do make a valid point regarding kids from divorced parents.
That was my take. Is he talking Japanese, Korean, Cambodian, Indonesian. then if you break it down to local custom and religion it is a varied as the flowers grwoing in the field. Saying "Asian" almost means nothing as a desriptor. It's a very gross generalization at best.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:14 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times
No, you should marry people from your own country. Americans should marry other Americans, Swedes should marry other Swedes and so on. There's too much of a cultural difference and this can be confusing to children.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:42 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
90sman, your posts crack me up. What on earth do you base your viewpoints on? It never seems to be logic or experience.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:06 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
My mom married a non-American and they're still together.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:51 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Lots of my friends have married foreign women. I don't even think about it. It's just kind of the norm. The closest woman I came to marrying was also a foreigner.

American women are tough. Especially Asian American women ... they expect a lot.
Do explain...I consider myself Asian American Woman but am still culturally rooted.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:05 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
My mom's side of the family has a perfect record - no divorces - including 3 generations. Grandparents, mom and her 3 siblings, and the 8 grandchildren.
All are American. We must really know how to pick 'em!

Old 06-05-2012, 02:20 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Wouldn't this lead to more successful relationships? The marriage rate is much lower now than ever among Americans, and for those that do marry each other, the divorce rate is higher than ever. I don't know what the stats are for marital success for American/non-American couples, but judging from the people I know in such relationships it is good. Those in intercultural marriages stay married, while those that are not get divorced. A 50-60% divorce rate within a country is horrible on so many levels.
Hogwash. Pure, utter, hogwash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships