Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:44 PM

691 posts, read 1,426,924 times

Advertisements

Its good in the sense that if you know they've been around and that turns you off, then you know no longer to invest any time into them. Other than that, I can't think of any good that can come out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 PM

727 posts, read 1,533,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
It really just depends on the people. My girlfriend can tell a story/situation that involves her ex and I'm fine with it. I don't see the need to pretend he never existed.
I started dating my ex-wife when she was a freshman in college. She was staying in the dorm, and visitors had to leave their ID with security. I just moved to Richmond from Phoenix, so I still have my Arizona ID (and Arizona licenses don't expire until your 60th birthday). I would come downstairs, and the kids behind the security desk would be showing off my driver's license, showing off the expiration date.

Those are the stories I like to tell. My last girlfriend went into way too much detail, like we were driving past a Fresh Market, and she had to make it a point to say she dated a guy who worked at said store, and went into detail about his apartment. To add insult to injury, she dated a friend of mine, and she had to talk about how bad the sex was with him (a mental picture I did not need).

Old 06-04-2012, 09:55 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,256 times
Not much.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:58 PM

691 posts, read 1,426,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
To add insult to injury, she dated a friend of mine, and she had to talk about how bad the sex was with him (a mental picture I did not need).
That's why I would never date any girl who has been with a friend of mine. Its a real nice way to mess up a friendship.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:59 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,865 times
Past is the past...

Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,566 times
Why are people so threatened by previous relationships. You can't pretend they didn't exist. Especially if children were produced. These experiences made the person who they are today. I find it extremely immature and somewhat possesive and controlling. If you don't trust your partner then you have more than an ex to worry about. Pathetic

Old 06-04-2012, 10:06 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
Those are the stories I like to tell. My last girlfriend went into way too much detail, like we were driving past a Fresh Market, and she had to make it a point to say she dated a guy who worked at said store, and went into detail about his apartment. To add insult to injury, she dated a friend of mine, and she had to talk about how bad the sex was with him (a mental picture I did not need).
It sounds like she just talked too much, but at least she was putting down the sex. Besides, I assume you knew they had sex anyway.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:59 PM

727 posts, read 1,533,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamCharger1985 View Post
That's why I would never date any girl who has been with a friend of mine. Its a real nice way to mess up a friendship.
I wasn't really that good of friends with him to begin with. I just knew him from school; we were both in the same program. Apparently he cheated on her with his current wife, but they only end up marrying because he knocked her up. You'd think he's some sort of pimp, but dude looks like the result of inbreeding gone terribly wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
It sounds like she just talked too much, but at least she was putting down the sex. Besides, I assume you knew they had sex anyway.
She talked way too much about exes, but I think that may have to do with the fact I was her rebound from her previous relationship. She's not the only one like that; I know way too much detail of when my ex-wife and ex-fiancee both lost their virginity.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:08 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
I wouldn't want to know personal details of their intimate life together, but a synopsis of the relationship as a whole is always good...how long did they date and why did they break up is important to know if I'm thinking about a serious relationship with someone.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:29 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
I cannot speak for everyone, but for my wife and I, speaking about our pasts was part of our relationship growing together.

Her past relationships (as well as mine) are part of what makes us who we are today, and allows us to better identify the things in relationships and others that we like and do not like, can accept and do not accept. They helped us form a better knowledge of ourselves and what makes us tick, and sharing that with each other teaches us those things about each other. IMO it has helped us be better spouses to each other.

Just as a note, this includes intimate details too... which I do not really ask or need to know but listen if she feels it is important to tell me. I do not question where her heart of commitment is, and do not find jealously in anything she wants to share. I know it is made her who she is now, which is the woman I love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships