Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:51 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,114,089 times

Advertisements

Women are pressured to get married and have kids however many of them just lose themselves when they do. I have witnessed this with my older sister to a certain extent. they become boring and lost that zest for life. The only women who still maintain their own individuality and interests outside of their marriage are wealthy women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 09:02 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,518,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Women are pressured to get married and have kids however many of them just lose themselves when they do. I have witnessed this with my older sister to a certain extent. they become boring and lost that zest for life. The only women who still maintain their own individuality and interests outside of their marriage are wealthy women.
Well, that's a pretty broad generalization

SOME women may feel pressured to marry and have kids, but I believe most woman who get married and have kids really really want to take that path.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, that's a pretty broad generalization

SOME women may feel pressured to marry and have kids, but I believe most woman who get married and have kids really really want to take that path.

I don't think they intend to lose themselves, though. It just happens. but if you disagree then say why.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,442,250 times
I imagine that one women's distasteful "losing herself" in family life is another woman's life-enriching experience. To each her own.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:15 PM

652 posts, read 1,051,021 times
Quote:
I don't think women lose themselves...they do change though. How does one define zest for life though. Is not being a parent engaged in raising a child in some way a very deep form of showing "zest" for life?

I think when you have very small children and a limited support system, the hours you spend meeting their needs can and do displace time you might have spent doing something else.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:17 PM

37,510 posts, read 45,831,391 times
Quote:
If you are implying that when a woman has a child, she falls hopelessly and completely in love with that child, and is forever changed and constantly enriched while raising that child, then yep...true dat.

However, if you are intending to imply that women are incapable of having a child and also having a happy and fulfilling life, then you are dead wrong. Becoming a parent DOES change your priorities...it's supposed to. But just because one has a new primary focus does not mean that all the other interests life are discarded.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
I don't think women lose themselves...they do change though. How does one define zest for life though. Is not being a parent engaged in raising a child in some way a very deep form of showing "zest" for life?

I think when you have very small children and a limited support system, the hours you spend meeting their needs can and do displace time you might have spent doing something else.
I guess. For some reason, I just don't find the next stage of life, that I am expected to enter exciting. I love babies/toddlers but don't like children at all. Even well behaved children are annoying to me. And marriage and children represent old age to me. And I feel that most women, even men to a certain extent, lose themselves and become boring

Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 PM

52,063 posts, read 52,503,419 times
You have a strange way of viewing the world........

Old 06-04-2012, 09:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,442,250 times
So, basically, this is really about you, and your lack of interest in a particular lifestyle.

Not so much about anybody else. Got it.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:23 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,208,462 times
Quote:
I guess. For some reason, I just don't find the next stage of life, that I am expected to enter exciting. I love babies/toddlers but don't like children at all. Even well behaved children are annoying to me. And marriage and children represent old age to me. And I feel that most women, even men to a certain extent, lose themselves and become boring
Then don't have children. End of thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships