Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:02 PM

270 posts, read 409,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
That changes my viewpoint a bit. People who are free spirits can be very annoying to those around them because of their (perceived) selfish desire to do whatever, whenever the mood strikes them. If she doesn't even go to all the lessons, how can they get better as a couple if only he is willing to go to all the lessons and practice?
Yeah, here's what I take from the OP's second post... she doesn't take it seriously or care about learning to really dance; she just wants to do her own thing. He takes it seriously and cares. This is never going to go well. I still think she's being self-centered. She won't dance with him, but she won't allow him to dance with someone else. GOOD LUCK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 02:09 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Thanks, OP!

And just like with dancing, the man is to assume the role of leader right away (as seen by some of the opinions on this thread)
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you suggesting there is something wrong with that?

Old 06-07-2012, 02:20 PM

270 posts, read 409,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Okay, so what specifically is added in competitive dancing (other than the skimpy little costumes)? Is there no grabbing of the upper legs, or holding your crotch to your partners? Lol, I'm really curious. If you can guarantee me that it's classy nationwide unless a contest is under way, I'll take your word for it. I'm just trying to offer a different perspective here.
Here is a video clip of a typical practice party. This is social ballroom dancing (waltz, in particular), what the couple under discussion would do:

Atlanta Dance studio - ballroom dance practice party - waltz - YouTube

Here's a clip with some Latin social dancing:

UCF Ballroom Dance Club Dance party April 7, 2012, with Rollins College students/guests.mp4 - YouTube

Here's a competitive Latin event. It has multiple dances. The sexiest is the rumba, which starts at about the 4 min mark:

World Master Professionals Latin (Innsbruck Competition) - YouTube

See any difference???

Old 06-07-2012, 02:44 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
Here's the answer. He finds a practice dancing partner. They practice. She chaperones. She can bring a book or her iphone or whatever.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:45 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If the husband does his extra practice in the studio with others present, not one on one in another woman's home, there should be no problem for the wife.

If the wife really has an issue with her husband dancing with anyone else period, then she better put on her dancing shoes
Yep, and there are always others present if the place is open, usually older people as well and it's normally alcohol/party free.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Or he can practice any time he wants, with whomever he wants - and not worry about his wifes' immaturity, insecurity and jelousy. Thats wehat a man would do, anyway.
No. A grown, intelligent, rational man is going to find a reasonable, acceptable compromise in any/all situations with the people in his life.

Quote:
Many men today are doormats and pushovers. No wonder their wives and girlfriends dont respect them. SOMETIMES YOU CANT GIVE A WOMAN WHAT SHE SAYS SHE WANTS, IN ORDER TO GIVE HER WHAT SHE NEEDS. True Story.
Speak for yourself and the women you know. You sound like a child. Maturity is one of the most important individual qualities for a successful marriage. That's not what you're bringing to the table here.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:56 PM

344 posts, read 396,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Some friends recently asked a question that my spouse and I are debating. Here are the basic facts:

The husband and wife both enjoy ballroom and latin dancing. The husband feels like he needs more practice in order to practice what he has learned in classes and in order to increase his level of proficiency. The wife is satisfied with their currrent level of competency. For her, it's just about having fun when they go out.

Since she doesn't have the patience to practice at home on a regular basis (or for more than a few minutes here and there), the husband suggested finding a woman in the dance community who shares the same need for practice and practice with her on a weekly basis - the idea being that in the long run his increased proficiency would benefit them (the husband and wife) when they go out, and would help him feel less self-conscious when he has to lead in public.

The wife believes dancing is an intimate activity and is not comfortable with her husband sharing that experience with another woman. He says he has no interest in a romantic relationship and that people in the dance community recognize the difference between a dance relationship and a romantic relationship. The wife agreed to dance with him at home more often, but depsite her best intentions, it just hasn't happened.

The couple asked us what we thought, but even we can't come to an agreement on the subject. Maybe its the difference in the way men and women view the world. I'm curious as to what folks here think. Also, say whether you are male or female.
First, I think the guy finding an outside female dance partner is probably a bad idea. I know it's a bad idea if the wife doesn't approve (and I think it is within her rights to disapprove).

I think due to unforeseen circumstances the husband has probably found an interest in the wrong activity, and it would be in everyone's best interest if he gave it up. It's just his misfortune. If only he had found an interest in something he could do alone, or with other guys.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:58 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
No. A grown, intelligent, rational man is going to find a reasonable, acceptable compromise in any/all situations with the people in his life.

Speak for yourself and the women you know. You sound like a child. Maturity is one of the most important individual qualities for a successful marriage. That's not what you're bringing to the table here.
Truth hurts, doesnt it?

Old 06-07-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Truth hurts, doesnt it?
Your truth about marriage? Um, no, I can't say it hurts. I can't say that your opinion matters at all when it comes to marriage.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:30 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
It seems pretty simple.... either practice with him, or let him practice with someone else.

To me, she has an obligation to choose one or the other.

The husband is open to both options, the wife is open to neither, so she is being unreasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships